Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

You put them together so well it is a shame to paint them and hide the workmanship. That looks great as-is.

This is one of my two favourite threads on RMWeb - very inspirational.

Regards,

David.

Thanks David, I feel very humbled by your kind comments. I take great strides to make the solder at joints as invisible as possible. To help achieve that T rarely follow the manufacturers instructions, preferring to figure out which order to assemble to enable as much soldering 'out of sight' as I can.

Rob, I too was surprised just how many islands make up the area. Venice is built on hundreds of thousands larch piles, which I found amazing considering that some of those buildings are 800+ yrs old. I must say, I really enjoyed the complete absence of road traffic and did not like the smell of diesel fumes from the ferries & water buses that fills the air. I guess you cannot help that.

Although we are going to return I would hate to live there, especially as it floods on high tides. That was a real pain shuffling along those high walk boards.

The photo shows what I mean, and on most board walks it was 2 way and a great balancing act.

The gondola ride, which we shared with another couple whose wife is in the pic, was great but quite scary when a water bus and fast taxi flew by rocking us alarmingly. This was a relatively peaceful back water returning to the gondola station.

post-150-026540000 1288164365_thumb.jpg

post-150-044316500 1288164409_thumb.jpg

OK. Got it primed & the chassis painted black yesterday. Today has the final assembly completed. She is now ready for delivery.

I am now into the second of these locos for Geoff. The first was the Urie verion, this next one is the Maunsel version.

Here is the Urie King Arthur.

post-150-085455400 1288370967_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All. Back again after doing a bit of a project for Geoff. This is his new kit expected to be introduced at the Reading show.

It's a classic prototype, the ever popular Jinty.

Here are some photos of the build and the finished model.

post-150-059756900 1289855422_thumb.jpg

post-150-099766300 1289855436_thumb.jpg

post-150-067212600 1289855688_thumb.jpg

post-150-067545900 1289855728_thumb.jpg

post-150-011568700 1289855739_thumb.jpg

post-150-013695800 1289855769_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That looks superb Ken and I agree it does look very detailed.

Something else for the wish listblink.gif

Thanks, Rob.. It does make a very nice looking model, I have one on order for Pen y Cwm from the production run.

• 2 weeks later...

:D Hi again.. Been a bit quiet on here due to a break in London doing the sights and buildin a second King Arthur for Geoff. Now just finished a few days for a loco for Pen Y Cwm building this delightful ex Cambrian loco from Agenorias stable.

Built with no alterations to the kit, the only exception i fitted pickups the the floating non swivelling front bogie, This is quite a foolproof way of springinging the front wheels. I also add a lot of lead onto the bogie which not only keeps the wheels firmly on the track but also overcomes the slight drag from the pickups. I have used the supplied Mashima & 40:1 gear box.

A light weathering of sooty dirt, crew and coal plus great sound from Oliviers, (his pannier tank in this case), sees her here on Pen y Cwm with the first duty on a passenger train. (I think I will replace the etched number plates from the kit with Guilplates, I don't like the 'dropped' 9 rather spoils it, I think.

post-150-057900100 1290782021_thumb.jpg

post-150-051197500 1290782032_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All. Back again after doing a bit of a project for Geoff. This is his new kit expected to be introduced at the Reading show.

It's a classic prototype, the ever popular Jinty.

Here are some photos of the build and the finished model.

What an excellant job you've done. Reminds me of when I was a lad, I used to ride on the cab of 47500 & 47521 whilst shunting at Blecthley Station.

What an excellant job you've done. Reminds me of when I was a lad, I used to ride on the cab of 47500 & 47521 whilst shunting at Blecthley Station.

Thanks David. I was pleased how it turned out, the kit will make a nice model. I have one under the bench for Pen Y Cwm, which I will build when I have the two current builds finished. Regards Ken

HI KEN, forgive my ignorance when you say that you dont like the dropped 9 on the number plate, was the full size one dropped or is it just the model one.

MSWJR

It's just on the etches in the kit, they should be level.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. May I wish you all a very happy new modelling year. After a break from the forum just modelling repeat models plus a pre Christmas break in Florida staying with our daughter, I'm back at the bench.

Just starting a model not having previously crossed my WB. An Acorn special edition Duke of Gloucester pacific loco. This unopened and 1997 limited edition kit looks like it will be a bit of a challenge. (Good thing I like a challenge)

Here is the start on the tender. So far straight forward construction. I like the large instruction book, as it is all exploded diagrams and photos of the build. Just the odd helpful notation.

Jim Harris designs his kits pretty much how I like to scratch build my locos, so that helps a lot.

Finally, I have recently been asked how I punch out my rivets. I use the now discontinued Leakey Lee fly punch. Not sure if there is an equivalent type on the market at present. The last photo shows the punch.

post-150-0-56391200-1293918309_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-49472900-1293918327_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-90649900-1293918343_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-85031100-1293918363_thumb.jpg

Hi Ken,

And a Happy modelling New Year to you as well, it's been a bit quiet on here of late but I'm sure there are many armchair readers avidly enjoying your threads. And as for an Acorn kit rather you than me ;), I will be watching your endeavors in making this loco into a silk purse which I know is within your capabilities (Good Luck ).

ATB, Martyn.

• Like 1

Hi Ken, hope you're well... not been viewing your thread as I think it has deleted itself from my Recent Topics button on here...

Have to say all of your work on here is great, but that Jinty looks absolutely MEGA... Very very nice indeed !!!

Happy New Year..!

JB.

Welcome back and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to you.

Finally, I have recently been asked how I punch out my rivets. I use the now discontinued Leakey Lee fly punch. Not sure if there is an equivalent type on the market at present.

The GW Models rivet punch is probably the nearest "modern" equivalent to the Leakey and does a very good job. The rivet table is a bit restrictive for 7mm work as it has very fine control and requires quite a bit of resetting in the clamps for large areas of brass (tank sides, tender sides, etc).

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm tickety boo and raring to go for another years activity on the WB

Kenton, I have seen and tried the rivet punch you mention and found it way too fiddly and slow. Adnitedly, it does the job. I have still to find an equalent punch to the Leakey which is rapid and very accurate to use, easy to set the gauge if required BUT the biggest pluus is the ability to to present the etched rivet into the 'hammer' point and follw down to the anvil. If that makes sense? It takes only a few minutes to punch out a typical GWR tender side.

Anyway, on to the BRID tender. Spent a pleasant few hours assembling it today. Yesteday, I had prepared all the etchings and castings and laid them out on the WB, which then makes for a quick assembly all in one hit. Thankfully there was the minimum of nipping and tucking to get the parts to fit. The only parts that had to be chopped a bit was the coal sides inside the tender. The tender sides took a bit of fiddling to get the bends right for a neat fit. Sudying the photos of the build in the instruction, I noted the tuckunder on sides sat on top of the footplate. I would have much preferred them to have tucked under it BUT that was not an option unless scratch building new sides. Then there would have been a problem with the rear and front plate. However from normal viewing angles, it looks quite OK

Ready now for the cleanup but first, the loco itself. I think that will be much more of a challenge to get it right.

This is the tender so far.

post-150-0-10200800-1293985407_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-01487100-1293985419_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-67834200-1293985428_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-03751600-1293985446_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Another good day at the WB. The chassi is built to stage 1 (as per instructions). I have decided to now assemble the running plate but not the whole of bodywork. As the complexity of the build and getting evrything to line up, I think that is the best way forward. There is a LOT od bits and attachments on the chassis will require carefull alignments.

This is the chassis so far. There is only one area of concern, the pony truck is hard up against the chassis extention. So clearances will have to be made here when I can check against the running plate.

A start has also been made on the running plate. The first photo is the chassis etches. The lower photo shows some of the body etches.

post-150-0-54143900-1294072158_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-61688400-1294072202_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-07267300-1294072230_thumb.jpg

Hi jazz

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one comes on, I managed to pick up a 90% built version of this loco kit but as I don't have the skills to finish it I decided to let it go. I'm hoping to see how good the new seven models (Scorpio models) duke is when it comes out in march. I've always had a soft spot for this loco so I'm looking forward to having one in the future.

Hi Seve. Acorn kits have given me some headaches over the years, I must admit. I hope this kit continues no worse than it has so far.

My experience with Scorpio kits has been quite good, (some iffy castings at time but only because of worn moulds). So I would expect the Duke to be a nice kit.

Frustrating day today. The PC crash first thing, took half the morning to get it running again.

The rest of the day spent fiddling, tweaking and shaping and reshaping the cab & firebox to get it to line up. Almost there with the f/box. Another day tomorrow with a fresh start.

post-150-0-69027100-1294166856_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-84356300-1294166867_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-38617100-1294166880_thumb.jpg

• Like 2