Heaton Lodge Junction

1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

It’s more electrics this week, boring stuff, relocating Digitrax boosters etc. Marvellous.

However I’ve finally unboxed the 50 Accurascale HUO’s I’ve had for the last 18 months stuck on a shelf.

Studying pics of the real thing I’m simply speed weathering these by airbrushing dark rust over the whole wagon before I’ll take most of it back off with a paper towel. Then I’ll probably airbrush dirty black over the top and add some blobs of thicker rust. I’ll let you know how it turns out. 

Ive also been trying to source 60 pairs of Corridor Connections to fit the Heljan MK1’s. 
Finally found Modellers Mecca who’ve been extremely helpful in making these to order.

I’m amazed at what a difference they make. 

Finally thanks to Manchester Model Railway Society who invited me over on Tuesday.
I was made to feel extremely welcome and was delighted to see ‘Dewsbury Midland’ again (I grew up there, somebody had to) a really fantastic piece of modelling.

I must confess I’ve always viewed clubs like committee's - I’d only be on one if I was the only one in it.

But I’m probably wrong and I need to learn to be more sociable in my old age. MMRS underlined that. Thanks again to them

98DC3600-7EE5-4A5D-8BAE-0AC9E7B62925.jpeg

0682CACD-0EF4-413A-83A5-79B3437B9E3C.jpeg

I wonder if using only 1-off corridor connector per gap would enable closer coupling and a more realistic gap?  Still looks infinitely better than no connector at all of course.

Loving this thread.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, steve4rosegrove said:

I wonder if using only 1-off corridor connector per gap would enable closer coupling and a more realistic gap?  Still looks infinitely better than no connector at all of course.

Loving this thread.

Steve

I've tried shortening some of my couplings so that the coaches (4mm scale) are about 1mm apart on the tightest fiddle yard curves then fitting corridor connectors at one end with and a plain rubbing plate at the other.

On coaches with buckeyes don't forget that the side buffers should be retracted except on the outer ends of the train or next to a screw coupled vehicle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 16/02/2022 at 22:12, steve4rosegrove said:

Loving this thread.

Steve

That’s a good point I’ll try that when the corridor connectors land.
There’s enough strain on the coupling with 12 on anyway without two connectors adding more. And I can do more coaches with just one. Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

That’s a good point I’ll try that when the corridor connectors land.
There’s enough strain on the coupling with 12 on anyway without two connectors adding more. And I can do more coaches with just one. Cheers 

Given the unique characteristics of HLJ I think you have to go for reliabilty over fidelity....IMHO...

Chris

On 16/02/2022 at 20:16, HeatonLodge40 said:

Finally thanks to Manchester Model Railway Society who invited me over on Tuesday.
I was made to feel extremely welcome and was delighted to see ‘Dewsbury Midland’ again (I grew up there, somebody had to) a really fantastic piece of modelling.

I must confess I’ve always viewed clubs like committee's - I’d only be on one if I was the only one in it.

But I’m probably wrong and I need to learn to be more sociable in my old age. MMRS underlined that. Thanks again to them

Model Railway Clubs are the same as local model shops, we need to use them (i.e. become a member) or we will lose them. Clubs contribute so much to the hobby, education, mentoring, friendship and not least model railway exhibitions. A lot of clubs are coming under increased pressure to survive, including the one I belong to as premises to rent become more expensive and membership numbers dwindle. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, fail safe said:

Following this thread with great admiration. Awesome project. Would it be seen more if it was under 7mm+Modelling, rather than Scenery, Structures & Transport heading?  Put me straight if I'm wrong on this but I always have to search for it.

if you 'follow' the topic it will appear in your 'My Activity Streams - Content I Follow' when there are new posts.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, fail safe said:

Following this thread with great admiration. Awesome project. Would it be seen more if it was under 7mm+Modelling, rather than Scenery, Structures & Transport heading?  Put me straight if I'm wrong on this but I always have to search for it.

Probably, it’s just historic since the late great Allan Downes started it here so I’m loathe to request moving it! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another 20 HUO’s weathered.

These will run as empties although they are way too light in my opinion to run reliably. Lead strips in the interior bottom spoils the look of the coal chutes & lead balls makes the chutes drop out so looks like I’ll have to butcher the underside after all. 
This weekend I’ve also fitted 12 new point motors for the diesel depot/DMU siding and serviced another 40 wagons plus fitted 6 new working tail lamps.

On the servicing wagons I’m a bit shocked as to how many bits are missing after a solid two weeks running in December.

I collected a cake tin full of debris on the tracks after the Wakefield exhibition, I’m hoping the Bath one (being three days) will be a lot easier on the rolling stock. 
As it stands I’ve 15 wagons with vital missing parts like axleboxes so they are being stored until I can get some more bits

5B33B131-2015-411F-AEB9-21AF9AD8390D.png

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 19/02/2022 at 11:54, steve45 said:

Model Railway Clubs are the same as local model shops, we need to use them (i.e. become a member) or we will lose them. Clubs contribute so much to the hobby, education, mentoring, friendship and not least model railway exhibitions. A lot of clubs are coming under increased pressure to survive, including the one I belong to as premises to rent become more expensive and membership numbers dwindle. 

Also note that due to covid many clubs have not run shows for the last two years - and therefore funds are even tighter.  I am even hearing of a few clubs that are no longer planning to run shows, which is a great loss, both financially and as a means of attracting members.

Great that HLJ is out there spreading the word for us all!

• Agree 2

On 18/02/2022 at 21:17, HeatonLodge40 said:

Wouldn't some sort of buckeye coupler be stronger than the screw link?  (and true to prototype too)

Best wishes,

Chris.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Kris said:

Screw Link, (instanta) is correct here. UK railways were slow at going to buckeyes.

Not for SR, LNER, Pullman, BR Mk1 and later gangwayed stock, which is what I think we're talking about here.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Not for SR, LNER, Pullman, BR Mk1 and later gangwayed stock, which is what I think we're talking about here.

Whoops I though it was about the wagons above, must read the posts with greater accuracy. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Makes me smile every time I see this pic.

Heaton Lodge c1985.

Few enthusiasts on board!

Taken by Terry Campbell (whose seen the layout a few times)!

3E69C4F1-DFD1-4429-A587-671150E55CD8.jpeg

I think it's the first coach that needs a sound decoder rather than the loco.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Makes me smile every time I see this pic.

Heaton Lodge c1985.

Few enthusiasts on board!

Taken by Terry Campbell (whose seen the layout a few times)!

3E69C4F1-DFD1-4429-A587-671150E55CD8.jpeg

Its a great shot, iconic.

I wonder if with a few 3D printed 7mm scale enthusiasts doing arm thing, you could repliacte this. Would be entertaining thats for sure!

• Like 1

A day of working on wagons ..

I wanted to cover with a ‘tarpaulin’ around five of the 14 huge steel carrying Cargowaggens that are pulled by 2 x 37’s. 

It’s really easy making tarpaulins for loads. Just need some toilet paper, drape it dry over the load then paint on a 50/50 mix of diluted PVA. 
Once this is dry you can paint it black/blue or any realistic tarpaulin colour.

The one I’m doing here should be dry by the morning and it’ll get a coat of Tamiya dark blue.
I’ll post the finished article later this week but once it’s painted just requires the miniature chains thrown over it.

The previously weathered HUO hoppers are getting their lead weights hot glued in situ before a false floor made from foam board is fitted on top. 
I’ve ordered another cheap blender to crush some coal to sieve over the top. Must be on the fourth one now!

60613400-97E8-4948-AA8B-252C087A3B5F.jpeg

28C82C17-E864-4117-92F4-B4B6A99B468F.jpeg

05AED601-3D48-4300-82EE-054A6A82DBB3.jpeg

B3A68AFD-EB17-4F77-BDAB-E8F4A74D06A7.jpeg

• Like 19