Oxford N7

Just need some M15 (LNER F4/F5) now!!

For the East Anglia model we need freight locos, such as J17,J19 and J20 to compliment the D16 and B12. Hornby have suitable tenders.

Paul Goldsmith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If there is a chance that these models are to be made I think there is a higher chance that Oxford Rail will do most of those engines perhaps Bachmann for the F4/5 as they have already started on the 2-4-2 class engines 

And perhaps Hornby could do an E4, which was basically a 2-4-0 J15.

• Like 1

That would be nice touch, however unlikely as GER locos seem to be slow sellers for Hornby as evidenced by the readily available stocks of B12s, B17s and J15 classes.

Hornby initially sold out of all there GER/LNER Loco's like the B12's and J15's, but the stockists who are selling them currently are companies who were selling them at a much higher price, who have only now just brought them down - GER Loco's are hugely popular; If they weren't why were there 3 batches of J15's made and a second of B12's currently being made? :) 

However you are correct in the fact that Hornby are unlikely to do another brand new GER Loco (LNER E4 being the example)  for a while which is very sad but the amount of work needed to do a entirely NEW loco wheel arrangement -

However all GER/LNER modelers (Me included) Have been very lucky to get a newly tooled B17,B12,D16/3,J15 - Its a basic set of GER loco's and too add to that an N7 and J70 Tram - I think we are very lucky these past few years. :) 

I for one would like to see some M&GN Loco's that railway is very popular perhaps it might be worth looking into?

• Like 1

Hattons and other box shifters were doing the B17 at ridiculously low prices. I've also seen D16s on sale for £50 brand new. Don't get me wrong,I like the GE and visit the NNR on a regular basis. All I'm saying is there seems to be a glut of these models, which must be due to oversupply. Definitely a win win situation

• Like 1

Hattons and other box shifters were doing the B17 at ridiculously low prices. I've also seen D16s on sale for £50 brand new. Don't get me wrong,I like the GE and visit the NNR on a regular basis. All I'm saying is there seems to be a glut of these models, which must be due to oversupply. Definitely a win win situation

Ah, my apologies :) 

It is I was very lucky to get my hands on a J15 from Hornby at the Warley show for £63 pounds, looking at the prices of the B12's that hattons have I might have to get another on.

• Like 1

For the East Anglia model we need freight locos, such as J17...

Given that there is a specimen in the NRM - and there's the Buckjumper come to that - I will be surprised if these don't get announced within the next five years.

Given that a J69 can carry renditions of the GER blue and LNER green liveries in BR service it is a little surprising that we have never had one RTR in OO.

Given that there is a specimen in the NRM - and there's the Buckjumper come to that - I will be surprised if these don't get announced within the next five years.

Given that a J69 can carry renditions of the GER blue and LNER green liveries in BR service it is a little surprising that we have never had one RTR in OO.

Plus the variety of the class with J67,8 & 9 And the Liverpool St Pilot, well known as a poor runner. You can get so much out of one tank engine, Which the N7's can present

The E4 and F3 shared many parts:- boiler, the 2-4- part of the running gear etc.. I converted a Stephen Poole E4 to a F3 some years ago.The side tanks, cab and bunker made up with Plasicard. Skinley drawings used to supplement my RCTS green books, to achieve a reasonable model, perhaps not to today's exacting standard, but I'm happy with it. I agree with all the suggestions though. There are many GE locos to chose from. The B12 with the AFCI unit on top, now there's a choice!

Tod

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am interested to know how they are doing the sound version. As far as I know the real one is currently under going an overhaul. How did they do the Adams Radial sound and how are they doing the Dean Goods?

Alex

Once upon a time there was a 'Great Eastern Steam' LP from Argo Transacord (I think...) that might just do the job. Come to think of it, I may just go and check...lovely noises..!

• Like 1

N7's certainly worked quint arts out of North Woolwich. I think quad arts were more common on the Great Northern suburban services out of KX hauled by N2's etc and quint arts were more GE.

The 'Hertford' Quads being an exception and available from Bill Bedford (eventually - order your Ultrascale wheels at the same time) - but they really are worth the wait. If all goes to plan, the kit, the wheels and the N7 will all come to fruition on my bench at the same time... 

• Like 2

Once upon a time there was a 'Great Eastern Steam' LP from Argo Transacord (I think...) that might just do the job. Come to think of it, I may just go and check...lovely noises..!

Would you believe it! 'The Great Eastern' (Argo Transacord DA14) has J15s galore, J20, E4, D16, B12, J69, B17 aplenty, but only the merest peep of the whistle of an N7. 55 years too late (recorded in 1962, so N7s a bit thin on the ground, admittedly) to cry 'foul', alas...

Somewhere in the house I have a 45EP record titled "N7's ON THE JAZZ". It's many years since I played it but it was recorded on the footplate of an N7 from Liverpool Street to either Chingford or Enfield Town, I must try and find it.

I've got one somewhere. If anyone is interested, there's one on eBay at the moment.

I'm glad they've got their act together after originally advertising a prototype which never existed.

It looks very nice with its round-topped firebox.

I've ordered the grey one as it's so unusual - it will go in the display case with other pre-grouping models which I can't resist buying. My SECR fully lined tender loco will be running however when the coaches and the new tank loco come out.

I hope they bring out 69614 the famous Liverpool Street Station pilot with late crest. I'll certainly have one of them.

• Like 2

Guest Midland Mole

It's going to be interesting when we see the first prototypes, at least then we will know for sure what versions are being produced. Personally I'm happy about either Belpaire or Roundtop versions, I just love N7s. :)

Alex

• Like 2