Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

On 27/02/2022 at 12:48, cessna152towser said:

eBay forum comments on a similar case suggest that this reason for cancellation is often used by sellers as they have few options and that eBay do not keep track of buyers who withdraw.  

If this is correct then I would be quite happy just to leave it there.

Your thoughts?

Exactly that, there are only 3 options a seller can choose from for cancelling: Out of Stock or Damaged, Buyer Asked to Cancel, Issue with Buyer's delivery address. Selecting the first will get you marked down and can impact on op rated seller status. 

• Agree 1

On 27/02/2022 at 12:48, cessna152towser said:

I bought an item of rolling stock on eBay buy-it-now at what seemed a good price because although described as new the photo showed missing buffers.

The seller wrote asking if I would agree to cancel as the price was wrong and he had already tried to correct it but had been unable to do so.

I pointed out there was a binding contract to sell, but as a person who also sells occasionally on eBay I would have no wish to exploit his situation and I agreed to cancel.

I got a nice polite reply thanking me for agreeing to cancel and offering to split the difference between the wrong price and the correct price.

All very amicably concluded.

eBay have now notified me of cancellation of the order on basis that seller cancelled the order, reason given "Buyer requested to cancel".

I did not request cancellation, he did and I agreed.

I suspect the seller used this reason as he would otherwise have incurred fees and a transaction defect.

I would have no wish to receive a black mark for cancelling when the cancellation was no fault of my own and I am minded that If there is any possibility that I would be defected as an unreliable buyer, then I would need to pursue the matter further.  eBay forum comments on a similar case suggest that this reason for cancellation is often used by sellers as they have few options and that eBay do not keep track of buyers who withdraw.  

If this is correct then I would be quite happy just to leave it there.

Your thoughts?

It won’t affect your reputation as a buyer. It will protect the seller’s yes, but not at any detriment to yours. I’ve been on both sides of the situation you describe.

• Thanks 1

On 27/02/2022 at 16:57, 2E Sub Shed said:

Had a buyer who within 5 mins of paying tried to cancel, however I did not see the message, and had already printed a postage label. 

eBay considered I had dispatched the item by buying postage, no way to reverse, so only way was to not send the item and then have the "buyer" request a refund as "item not delivered" after a few days. 

I did consider the reason I had been given for buyer wanting to cancel was false, as he quoted a word featured in both the title and the descriptive text and also visible on the photo as the reason, and in fact I think it was buyers remorse as he had paid 25% more then the new price for the item, but I did not want the hassle of dealing with it.

No idea what it did to my  seller reputation.

Does that leave you out of pocket for the postage though? 

13 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

Exactly that, there are only 3 options a seller can choose from for cancelling: Out of Stock or Damaged, Buyer Asked to Cancel, Issue with Buyer's delivery address. Selecting the first will get you marked down and can impact on op rated seller status. 

In the past I have cancelled the odd listing, once at the suggestion of eBay to get rid of the GSP for a buyer wanted to deal directly. Certainly my seller status has never been affected. However I guess like everything if you are a serial canceller no doubt the system will flag this up as a potential problem account. I think in every case the real reason for cancellation was different from the limited picklist, but as I said it was of no consequence 

• Like 1

On 01/03/2022 at 19:32, ianmacc said:

Does that leave you out of pocket for the postage though? 

Hi 

You d have the option of cancelling a postage label, which I did, just do not see the refund for a month while Royal Mail waits to see if you try to use it.

• RMweb Premium

Arrrgghhh!!!  Ebay have started sending me nagging messages asking me to add item specifics!!  The problem is the categories for some of the specifics are completely and utterly irrelevant!!  It has been even worse since their Department of Stupid Ideas lumped everything under one heading for model railways.

• Friendly/supportive 4

6 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Arrrgghhh!!!  Ebay have started sending me nagging messages asking me to add item specifics!!  The problem is the categories for some of the specifics are completely and utterly irrelevant!!  It has been even worse since their Department of Stupid Ideas lumped everything under one heading for model railways.

Just ignore them

• Agree 1

Here’s one I’m finding. I use the mobile app rather than the desktop site although I do visit the desktop site on occasion for complicated tasks. 

I like to create draft listings through the week at my convenience so that I can then list at a prescribed time each week (Friday evenings). I think eBay has fixed a maximum number of drafts you can have at any one time as loads would not open (said they had been deleted). I’d already photographed and packaged them up too so a major headache to correct. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just sold my first item on eBay since the changes last year when they made payments direct rather than paypal

i sold a bike for £650 and thankfully clicked on the 80% off variable fees promotion as it “only” charged me £13, without the promotion it would have cost me £69 to sell it!

needless to say once I’ve sold a couple of other bikes I need to move on to make space I’ll not be bothering with selling on there again unless there is some sort of promotion running as the new fees are ridiculous! 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

I think that you are correct...

Graham Farish N Gauge 64XX loco with early crest. 6417.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/61118/graham_farish_371_986_class_64xx_0_6_0_pannier_tank_6417_in_br_black_with_early_emblem/stockdetail

Paper print out from Hattons website shews Dapol O Gauge 57XX with late crest. 9669.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/448197/dapol_7s_007_007_class_57xx_0_6_0pt_pannier_9669_in_br_black_with_late_crest/stockdetail

The description in the listing is for the O Gauge loco.

The circle around the price hints that this was the purchase price, but it is for a different Locomotive...🤔

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

I think that you are correct...

Graham Farish N Gauge 64XX loco with early crest. 6417.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/61118/graham_farish_371_986_class_64xx_0_6_0_pannier_tank_6417_in_br_black_with_early_emblem/stockdetail

Paper print out from Hattons website shews Dapol O Gauge 57XX with late crest. 9669.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/448197/dapol_7s_007_007_class_57xx_0_6_0pt_pannier_9669_in_br_black_with_late_crest/stockdetail

The description in the listing is for the O Gauge loco.

The circle around the price hints that this was the purchase price, but it is for a different Locomotive...🤔

Just out of curiousity I had a look at the report function and you have to pick specific issues, none of which apply. There is no facility for anyone to type why something is a problem. Suggests eBay dont really care if a listing is innaccurate or misleading, which I suppose doesnt surprise me.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, chrissy said:

eBay is rubbish for most stuff. I buy my clothes from Vinted and anything else on Amazon.

Christine x

I think you could make this statement for most online sites and shops.

I could say Lidl is rubbish as I buy few of their food items, but for inexpensive DIY items my first choice. I am not interested in most of Amazon products, but they are great for next day (free) delivery of inexpensive gardening items. Who else would hand deliver the next day an item costing £3 ?

As for eBay here are 2 recent purchases

Example :- A Perseverance as new un-started GWR twin rail car, the bonus was it cost me £56 + postage as they usually sell for over £100 on the rare occasions they turn up.

Or an as new Craftsman GC A5 loco kit with a set of Romford wheels, for about the same cost a new set of Markit wheels would set me back today. Un started kits go for at least £80

I like many others find eBay a great way to buy older model railway kits and parts that are almost impossible to buy anywhere else, usually at great prices. However I virtually never buy anything else from them

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

There are many items on eBay even in model railways that may not be good value or even overpriced. Like any other commodity you should be aware of how much items usually cost. Where I can, I support my local model shop, which is a great place to buy run of the mill items. However they can only support the most common parts of the hobby. 

Simply know what you want and its value. With items on eBay just think,  Am I buying a new item from a retailer or am I buying a second hand item from a member of the public ?. 

99% of what I buy on eBay is via the auction method. This morning there are 1.15m items listed under Model railways, only 54k are via the auction method, more often than not this is where the good value items can be found, but like any auction its buyer beware !!!!

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, chrissy said:

Ok I'll use it to look for OO gauge stuff. I wasn't sure on the gauge to use but my neighbour says he uses OO and that is what I should use.

You can get some great items if you are willing to look. I’ve recently taken up HO North American, but over the last week I’ve picked up an Arriva Class 67 for £65, a couple of 150 units for less than three figures and a 60 for £58. If you spend a little time, you can definitely get bargains. Gauge wise, see what suits you, there are some great advantages to each, just depends on what you want really. 

• RMweb Premium

Rather than start a new thread i thought I'd ask here, can everyone access eBay messages on a mobile? I get to this screen but clicking on the message link either at the bottom, or scrolling across the top, just takes me back to the same screen.

1387409519_Screenshot_20220528-081950_SamsungInternet.jpg.81045d50a42439f061736bcf9f8dce54.jpgScreenshot_20220528-081348_Outlook.jpg.7cf15952b321d96a2b21d32baf82506d.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Rather than start a new thread i thought I'd ask here, can everyone access eBay messages on a mobile? I get to this screen but clicking on the message link either at the bottom, or scrolling across the top, just takes me back to the same screen.

Just tried it on Android and yes I can - I had to use my fingerprint to access it though which it's not done before so looks like they have changed something.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

We are using the eBay app on Android...

Everything works normally.

No fingerprint required...

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

I suppose i could try the app. im just via a browser.

• Like 1

OK...

I've just tried the messages button on eBay.co.uk, using the Google Chrome browser, on the same Android device...

I'm getting the same thing...

Click on messages, reloads the same front page. 🤷🏼‍♀️

So, it's not just you then. 🙂

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo

• 4 weeks later...

Annoyance. 

Someone took a buy it now for a DVT bodyshell I was selling (Hornby mk4). 

Requested cancellation immediately and I think he wanted the mark 3 version from the vague responses. Persisted in calling it/them class 82s which is a sub-annoyance lol. 

Anyway I acquiesced to his request as there was no point despatching it. Refunded him.

The utter muppet then left me neutral feedback saying simply “refunded”.

This was basically a mugging in the street in eBay terms! I got an unsolicited neutral feedback through no action on my part. 

I could ask for a revocation of the feedback I guess but seeing as I called him a muppet I doubt he’d acquiesce (felt good though)!

• Friendly/supportive 3