Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

If I so much as look at a listing on ebay and decide it's of no interest, I am now getting hassled with messages telling me to bid for it because the listing is about to finish.  All very well to remind me about something I might be watching, but it's just plain nuisance to tell me about stuff that I dismiised out of hand as soon as I looked at it.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If I so much as look at a listing on ebay and decide it's of no interest, I am now getting hassled with messages telling me to bid for it because the listing is about to finish.  All very well to remind me about something I might be watching, but it's just plain nuisance to tell me about stuff that I dismiised out of hand as soon as I looked at it.

Have you tried deleting your Recently Viewed items to see if that cures the problem?

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if this a new trend or not, but I've seen several listings recently (not the same vendor) that say, for instance, " Bachmann OBA wagon EWS x 3" in the header.

But when you go to the description it's "3 available", each, at the price shown, not 3 for the price displayed.

Also purchase history has changed format, and I'm getting ad's in between my watch list items, doesn't sit well with me. Fine at start or end, but not interspersed between my list items.

Will they ever stop tinkering. 😒

Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

The thing that really irritates me is when eBay inform you that the item has been dispatched, when clearly someone has just bought a postage label from them

Yesterday afternoon I bought some wheels, I suppose in theory in the afternoon they could have found a local Post office open (ours in the village CooP did open on a Sunday, but last night very soon after paying I got confirmation it had been dispatched (I did not pay till 7:51pm

Hopefully both will be in the post today and arrive Wed or Thurs which is fine by me. But why can't they just say postage label supplied ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

When I post something, I mark as dispatched as soon as I have put it in the post box which happens to be almost outside my front door which has been two in the morning on the odd occasion...

When it is actually collected by the Postie, well that requires the usages of séance and a Ouija board to work that out....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, John M Upton said:

When I post something, I mark as dispatched as soon as I have put it in the post box which happens to be almost outside my front door which has been two in the morning on the odd occasion...

When it is actually collected by the Postie, well that requires the usages of séance and a Ouija board to work that out....

Our post boxes do not accept parcels, up to large letters only!!

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, hayfield said:

The thing that really irritates me is when eBay inform you that the item has been dispatched, when clearly someone has just bought a postage label from them.

I've been sending parcels recently using online postage and have the postie collect the parcel from me. I use the Tracked 48 service, and when I purchase the service online I immediately get a tracking number. So once the parcel is packed up and ready to collect I add the tracking number to the item which marks it as dispatched. If the seller wants to track the item they can look it up on the Royal Mail site, which will say "seller has advised they are sending the item to us". Once the postie has picked it up (which is usually the following day) it will then get scanned again when he gets back to the depot at which point the status will show "we have your item". 

This process all seems fine to me. 

I do see a problem when the seller is not using a tracked service, and the item is marked as dispatched almost as soon as I've purchased it. It then arrives 5-6 days later ....

• Like 2

Quite often these tracking services fail to record the delivery, so if you enquire on the tracking it still says it's en route, even though you've got the goods.  If they haven't got some other evidence of delivery such as a photo or a signature  this is potentially open to dishonest allegations of non-delivery.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, hayfield said:

Our post boxes do not accept parcels, up to large letters only!!

There's quite a bit of variation in the size of pillar box openings.  I can't get a large letter into the cast iron one at the end of street unless the documents bend a little, but I can get much wider small parcels up to about 22 thick into the one opposite the community centre.  And of course during the IRA letter bombs period, they plated over many of the boxes so you could only post a very thin letter.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Quite often these tracking services fail to record the delivery, so if you enquire on the tracking it still says it's en route, even though you've got the goods.  If they haven't got some other evidence of delivery such as a photo or a signature  this is potentially open to dishonest allegations of non-delivery.

I use Royal Mail Tracked 48 No Signature. Proof of posting is a picture of the parcel being delivered. Not had any issues at all using this service over recent months and I've sold quite a few items this way.

One issue I have had is with deliveries from Evri, where the parcel is just left on the doorstep. On several occasions the the tracking result shows a photo of our parcel on someone else's doorstep!

1 hour ago, RFS said:

I've been sending parcels recently using online postage and have the postie collect the parcel from me. I use the Tracked 48 service, and when I purchase the service online I immediately get a tracking number. So once the parcel is packed up and ready to collect I add the tracking number to the item which marks it as dispatched. If the seller wants to track the item they can look it up on the Royal Mail site, which will say "seller has advised they are sending the item to us". Once the postie has picked it up (which is usually the following day) it will then get scanned again when he gets back to the depot at which point the status will show "we have your item". 

This process all seems fine to me. 

I do see a problem when the seller is not using a tracked service, and the item is marked as dispatched almost as soon as I've purchased it. It then arrives 5-6 days later ....

I am not talking about people buying online postage  BUT THE MESSAGE FROM eBay THAT THE ITEM HAS BEEN DISPATCHED. What has happened is that eBay has supplied a postage label. ( I have no problem with this at all). But at 7pm on a Sunday the item could never be dispatched unless the seller has put the item into a letter box, very difficult to achieve with a 4mm scale kit built loco especially within 15 mins of paying

The message should be postage label supplied

Once the item is in the postal system, then the buyer should confirm its been dispatched

Please do keep buying postage labels via eBay if you wish, even ask Royal Mail to collect. But please don't think the item has been dispatched if all you have done is buy a label

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Odd occurence this morning. I go to my saved searches, the 1st of which is Bachmann class 158. I'm getting all sorts of DMU's in that search instead of just the 158's. Next one is Bachmann class 37, and get variuos diesels including 37's. Same for class 47, but the other searches are OK. See grab of the 158 pages.

Are they changing the searches gradually, or is it a glitch?

890318320_class158.jpg.20a122777912bf8c81566eed3468e120.jpg

Edited by mezzoman253
Spelling

6 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

Odd occurence this morning. I go to my saved searches, the 1st of which is Bachmann class 158. I'm getting all sorts of DMU's in that search instead of just the 158's. Next one is Bachmann class 37, and get variuos diesels including 37's. Same for class 47, but the other searches are OK. See grab of the 158 pages.

Are they changing the searches gradually, or is it a glitch?

890318320_class158.jpg.20a122777912bf8c81566eed3468e120.jpg

I think they alter the criteria over time and of course they promote the lots where sellers pay extra to promote them

I have found searches are far less focused these days as they add extra things in. If I ask for a "p4" search than as well as p4 items you will get other items with p or 4 in which have nothing to do with p4. Its something you will have to live with

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I think they alter the criteria over time and of course they promote the lots where sellers pay extra to promote them

I have found searches are far less focused these days as they add extra things in. If I ask for a "p4" search than as well as p4 items you will get other items with p or 4 in which have nothing to do with p4. Its something you will have to live with

Thanks for the reply. I looked at nthe eBay forum and see loads of complaints similar to mine and other gripes. 

Whereas I had perhaps 100 or so hits for a particular search, it's now showing over 5000. If I try and narrow it down by using speech marks for the exact wording I get no hits at all. 😒

Hey Ho! Rob

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

An annoying one I've started seeing is I regularly search for Markits.

Which it started changing to Markita with no option to override. Now it finally does allow me to change it back, but if it gets results why does it even change it!

• RMweb Premium

Another recent change with ebay searching in the last couple of weeks is my default of presenting my search results with the newly listed first is now all over the place with other listings being put up top or in among the new ones.

I now have to go to advanced search settings every time to put it back to what it should be.

Also recently I have found ebay to be very slow using the proper website version and with the categories I am trying to search within wavering off on a tangent in completely the wrong direction. 

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Another recent change with ebay searching in the last couple of weeks is my default of presenting my search results with the newly listed first is now all over the place with other listings being put up top or in among the new ones.

I now have to go to advanced search settings every time to put it back to what it should be.

Also recently I have found ebay to be very slow using the proper website version and with the categories I am trying to search within wavering off on a tangent in completely the wrong direction. 

ebay on the mobile app defaults to closest recongisable word closest to my search. So instead of searching "HO GP7" for example, it will default to "HP GPU" & then give me computing results instead of locos. No way to get rid unless I use the full blown desktop site 🙄

• RMweb Premium

And only the etches, no castings to go with it... I wonder if Dart Castings would supply them from the Falcon masters that they look after?

Andy G

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, uax6 said:

And only the etches, no castings to go with it... I wonder if Dart Castings would supply them from the Falcon masters that they look after?

Andy G

The last I recall is the moulds and or masters were a right mess.