Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

In that instance the word “listing” is a clickable link that takes you to the item you actually wanted to see.

Yes, I (eventually!) realised that. But 1) it isn't immediately obvious, since the whole line is against a blue background and 2) I still don't appreciate the detour.

E-bay would prefer that you were tempted to buy something else instead of looking at a listing that is ended.

Again, yes, I understand that's why it's being done. But, as I said, I prefer to decide for myself what to look for/at.

• RMweb Premium

Spent an amusing or bemusing ten minutes looking for Bachmann Mk1's in green so in the OO gauge section I duly searched for 'Bachmann Mk1 Green' yet I got an awful lot of completely different colours who listings never mentioned green at all.

What the hell was that all about?

• 4 weeks later...

Something I've never seen before - several listings (all from the same seller, incidentally) which show on the listing of auctions with the price quoted as "$143.95 to $215.92" or similar. If you go into an individual item, it's an auction for several of the same thing (e.g. "5 available"), but there's only a single price quoted, and it's for the top end of the range shown in the listing of auctions i.e in the case I've shown above, the price shown would be $215.92.

What does the price range mean? And how can you bid for an item with a price at the bottom of the range shown i.e $143.95 in this particular case?

• RMweb Premium

Strange, it works fine for me, displays the lower price when I select the non-sound version and the higher price with sound.  Tried Firefox and Chrome and both work as they should.

Al

Strange, it works fine for me, displays the lower price when I select the non-sound version and the higher price with sound. Tried Firefox and Chrome and both work as they should.

Al

OK. I have never seen that - two different items being offered in the same auction. I took a long time to see how to switch between the two versions. To me, that 'switch' should be in the item description, lower down, not in that part of the page, where I really only look for the price.

(Edit - or it should be two separate auctions, one for the sound version and one for the non-sound version.)

Edited by pH

• RMweb Gold

Seems to be different prices for different versions. I've also seen this with multiple options e.g. selling items of different sizes, colour etc. Common where clothes are being sold.

Two separate auctions might not be appropriate if there is only one loco which can be supplied with or without a decoder.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

The one that's been annoying me recently is the fairly long description, of which one line is about the actual item itself (usually failing to mention anything useful), and the rest (often several screenfuls) is going on about their "terms and conditions" - often trying to alter either ebay's Ts&Cs or the statutory rights...

• RMweb Premium

OK. I have never seen that - two different items being offered in the same auction. I took a long time to see how to switch between the two versions. To me, that 'switch' should be in the item description, lower down, not in that part of the page, where I really only look for the price.

(Edit - or it should be two separate auctions, one for the sound version and one for the non-sound version.)

But it's not an auction, it's buy now, it's just a classified advert. You're right, that wouldn't really work for an auction, where people would be bidding for different items.

It's very common to find multiple drop downs for items though; sheet materials where you can choose size for example.

This is an example of what annoys me - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Britains-Railways-Air-Then-and-Now-Aerofilms-Hardback-Book-/142895538640?hash=item21453ce1d0

They use a stock photo of a brand new book cover to illustrate the sale of a second hand one. If you scroll right down to the bottom of the page (how many people bother?) there is a statement about the photo being "for illustrative purposes only" and there is a wordy description of the book condition; but if I am going to bid on something which is second hand I would like to see the condition of the cover and (preferably) a few inside pages. 

I presume this is not illegal, but to me it would appear to be treading a fine line. 

• RMweb Gold

There are some listings coming up now with a bidding start price. Not a buy it now price. But with a  make an offer under it. What is that about

It gives you the opportunity to make the the seller an offer before any bids are made, I think the idea is that you can offer the seller an amount higher than the start price before a bidding war takes place

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Premium

On a similar note is sellers who use the often mock up manufacturers catalogue photo on the listing rather than a picture of the item itself.

And don't get me started on the 'Condition as photos' brigade...

There are some listings coming up now with a bidding start price. Not a buy it now price. But with a  make an offer under it. What is that about

Not sure, but I put an offer in on something and before I got a response someone put an opening bid in; which resulted in my offer being automatically refused and the option disappearing. Things should be either auction or buy it now, not a combination of the two.

• RMweb Premium

I'm selling a lot of my stuff at the moment, though not much railway stuff. On some listings, if you don't allow offers Ebay will charge for the listing. I have had a number of offers; they tend to be below the start price rather than higher. I'm selling to get rid, so if I'm not sure of the potential value of an item I'm usually happy to accept offers provided they're no taking the proverbial. Some are just stingy, IMHO, why offer £2 on a £2.50 start price?

This is an example of what annoys me - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Britains-Railways-Air-Then-and-Now-Aerofilms-Hardback-Book-/142895538640?hash=item21453ce1d0

They use a stock photo of a brand new book cover to illustrate the sale of a second hand one. If you scroll right down to the bottom of the page (how many people bother?) there is a statement about the photo being "for illustrative purposes only" and there is a wordy description of the book condition; but if I am going to bid on something which is second hand I would like to see the condition of the cover and (preferably) a few inside pages. 

I presume this is not illegal, but to me it would appear to be treading a fine line. 

My problem there is the EDITION may vary.  If a book has info added in the 3rd edition I need, Im not going to buy the 2nd!

My problem there is the EDITION may vary.  If a book has info added in the 3rd edition I need, Im not going to buy the 2nd!

Thanks for the comment. I hadn't thought of that particular point. 

• RMweb Premium

I've no issue with the offers thing on auctions - it just formalises the "how much to end the auction" chancers, although it's not something I ever use.

I'm consistently surprised by people not using the offer on Buy Now items. I sell most stuff that way these days, unless it's just something I'm getting rid of in a clearout - in which case it goes on at 99p in an auction. I reckon about 50% of the time people just pay the full price. I tend to price in a bit of fat in a listing and will accept sensible offers, so I'm always surprised by  it. Average item price is £150 - £200, so not super cheap stuff.

• RMweb Premium

Ebay went through a phase a while back of altering Buy It Now listings, adding Make Offer functions without telling the seller, the first the seller knew of it being when they received an offer and much head scratching duly ensued.

I have sometimes used the Make Offer function on Buy it Now listings but have tended to find many offers made quite frankly are taking the proverbial liquid waste matter,