Micro Model Railway Dispatch

On 21/12/2021 at 15:12, Nearholmer said:

Beuatiful layouts, beautifully presented on the virtual page; a tribute to builders and editor. Many thanks.

At risk (near certainty, I fear) of being thought a curmudgeonly old grinch, I do feel compelled to return to the topic of "hard definition" of a microlayout as being no greater than four square feet. I can quite understand the need for a definition, a firm boundary, for the editorial purposes of The Dispatch, but the idea that the term has always and forever had a firm boundary, which seems to be the implication, is one that continues to bother me, because it is, to be a bit blunt, incorrect.

The May 2007 edition of Carl Arendt's 'Scrapbook' contained a good article by David Thomas, about the history of very small layouts https://www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-61a-may-2007/ , within which he says:

"However, the first use of the term “Micro Layout” so far discovered was in the February 1988 edition of 009 News (the journal of the British 009 Society). Kevin Payne used it to describe a 48x12in layout in two halves."

Now, I don't lay claim to have invented the term as I wrote that article, because frankly I can't remember whether I did, or whether I stole it from someone else, but I can say that I was in there at or near the beginning of its use, and that at that stage it had no hard definition. It was used simply to identify layouts that were a great deal smaller than typical, on a "you'll know one when you see it" basis. As I've pointed out before, Carl Arendt never operated it as hard definition either.

Might it be possible, perhaps, to draw a distinction between the purposeful editorial boundary used for The Dispatch, and the more permissive, original use of the term?

All the best, Kevin

Kevin,

You could always create another virtual magazine to complement Ian’s Dispatch to cover layouts that are larger than 4 square feet!  

To be honest I like many different things within the Model Railway realm, but Micro Layouts appeal to me at the moment as it will allow me to experiment with a few ideas.  I hope to start soon.

I don’t see the 4 square feet limit as a restriction, but as an opportunity. 

Kind regards and Seasons Greetings 

Paul

• Like 2

I think possibly you are misunderstanding what I’m saying.

I’m not for one minute suggesting that The Dispatch should open its pages to layouts larger that four square feet, that’s The Editor’s call and his alone, or that the term microlayout should be opened to encompass billiard tables. No. All I’m suggesting is that the original, somewhat more permissive, meaning of the term should be acknowledged, rather than the rumour get about that four square feet was handed down on a tablet of stone (presumably one no bigger than …….).

That’s enough. There’s no need to turn this into a schism of P4/S4 proportions. 
I’ll just reiterate my comments from October and let that be an end to it.

“Personally, I have always considered four square feet as a rule. There has to be a hard and fast upper limit, otherwise you receive submissions from 8 square feet to as much as 16 square feet. 

Carl often referred to large scale layouts that exceeded 4 square feet as “in the spirit of a micro”, which is something I’ll gladly carry on as the magazine develops. 

Right now, its early days and I’m still trying to find a direction for it. I have features I want to run and things I want to try, but still carry the spirit of Carls original“Micro layouts for model railroads” website

I appreciate you taking the time to read it and share your opinions.”

Ian

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

22 minutes ago, Ian Holmes said:

Carl often referred to large scale layouts that exceeded 4 square feet as “in the spirit of a micro”, which is something I’ll gladly carry on as the magazine develops. 

Yes please!! Partly as I am currently building a layout that although shorter than 4ft, is rather wider than 1ft, so exceeds 4 square feet area. But for American standard gauge O Scale it's still a bit of a squeeze!!

Mindyou it's only just started & at my rate of progress might be a few years from completion.  :rolleyes:  :blush:

Edited by F-UnitMad
getting smileys to work!!

Trusting that this won’t be considered extending it, because it’s meant more as a delve into history:

I’ve just been re-reading Yuji Niwa’s very influential article “The Micro Layout Concept” in NG&IR No.4 (1990). What I had forgotten is that he traces the concept back to a layout (600x900) built in 1966, which began a trend for what were explicitly known as micro layouts in Japan, culminating in a book dedicated to them, published in 1979. I wonder whether the term was imported to the U.K. with that book, although it was, IIRC, entirely in Japanese. I remember seeing the book, but not being able to afford to buy it at the time, which I would have done if I could, simply for the photos of exquisite little trains on exquisite little layouts. It seems to me that the Japanese tradition grew in parallel with the British tradition of tiny layouts, things like Larpool & Easington, the two meeting for the first time c1980.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Trusting that this won’t be considered extending it, because it’s meant more as a delve into history:

I’ve just been re-reading Yuji Niwa’s very influential article “The Micro Layout Concept” in NG&IR No.4 (1990). What I had forgotten is that he traces the concept back to a layout (600x900) built in 1966, which began a trend for what were explicitly known as micro layouts in Japan, culminating in a book dedicated to them, published in 1979. I wonder whether the term was imported to the U.K. with that book, although it was, IIRC, entirely in Japanese. I remember seeing the book, but not being able to afford to buy it at the time, which I would have done if I could, simply for the photos of exquisite little trains on exquisite little layouts. It seems to me that the Japanese tradition grew in parallel with the British tradition of tiny layouts, things like Larpool & Easington, the two meeting for the first time c1980.

Yes, it is considered extending it, and it's very rude. I drew a line under our discussion, which was going nowhere and people seemed to be getting fraught. Yet you see fit to carry it on. This would be an interesting subject, suitable for its own thread and discussion. But you seem to want to score some petty "last word" point. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have really enjoyed issue #4, the Spring edition of The Dispatch.

Good to see a [url=https://micromodelrailwaydispatch.com/]website[/url] being developed too, and a means of support via "Buy me a Coffee".

One of the comments on there, though has really cracked me up, and it's a good job I wasn't drinking at the time, else my keyboard would've got sprayed. 

brilliant! This was the best issue ever. my brian exploded!

Anyone called Brian, look out!! Or - if I knew what or where my 'brian' is, I'd be able to make sure it doesn't explode in future.... :tease:  :jester:

• Funny 2

As @F-UnitMad rightly pointed out The Micro Model Railway Dispatch now has a website. I haven't done any serious web design since the days of Adobe PageMill. So bear with me on the initial look of the website. Now you can now go to https://micromodelrailwaydispatch.com/ and download the Spring Issue, It's available.

I hope you enjoy it. Plenty for everyone from the smallest scales to the largest scales. 

• Like 3

Latest edition? Brilliant!

A great deal of craft and creativity.

To Mr Cavell: I’m 90% certain that at Wolverton carriage works, the 18” gauge railway shared the traversed with standard gauge, but I’d need to hunt-out my photos to be sure. Even if it didn’t, your layout instantly ut me in mind of Wolverton.

I’m supposed to have given up building micros, but there is a danger that this magazine could tempt me back in. The idea of a large scale “square foot” has already got me thinking.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Glad you enjoyed Bleak Moor, Andrew. The Dispatch certainly gets better every issue. Credit to Ian and his hard work. Micros might be seen as a bit of a niche but there is certainly plenty of interest and builders out there. Looking forward to the next issue. Good luck with your own micro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very good inspirational read, greatly enjoyed it. As a 7mm Modeller, I was very glad to see you’ve seen the light, and become flexible in the “four square feet” rule, and changed to “in the spirit of”. It was interesting to see your guests editorial, seeing the size of what goes on in American basements scares the pants off me, the work and time involved must put a lot of people off.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4