Micro Model Railway Dispatch

• 2 months later...
On 22/09/2022 at 02:12, Ian Holmes said:

ISSUE 6 Autumn is now available to download.   https://micromodelrailwaydispatch.com

Screenshot 2022-09-14 at 10.04.48 AM

Another amazing and inspiring selection of layouts - very nice. Thanks for all your work.

I also note the call for Christmas layout articles - I have this, which is some years old now but may be just the thing and which I could write an article about, but how long do I have to write it up?

I have a few other micro layouts that might be suitable to write up as well, including my new (albeit very very slow moving) project. The issue with some of these is that they are 009 (though the Christmas one above obviously isn’t) and I should probably be writing an article or two for 009 News as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Another amazing and inspiring selection of layouts - very nice. Thanks for all your work.

I also note the call for Christmas layout articles - I have this, which is some years old now but may be just the thing and which I could write an article about, but how long do I have to write it up?

I have a few other micro layouts that might be suitable to write up as well, including my new (albeit very very slow moving) project. The issue with some of these is that they are 009 (though the Christmas one above obviously isn’t) and I should probably be writing an article or two for 009 News as well.

Thanks for your kind words about The latest issue of The Dispatch.

Your Christmas tree scene micro looks just the part. It’s a different take on the subject to mine, that I put in last Christmases issue of The Dispatch. I use the linear motored Teeny Trains product, now discontinued.  Your deadline, should you accept it. Is December 1st.  Plenty of time. 😉

Ian

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

Thanks for your kind words about The latest issue of The Dispatch.

Your Christmas tree scene micro looks just the part. It’s a different take on the subject to mine, that I put in last Christmases issue of The Dispatch. I use the linear motored Teeny Trains product, now discontinued.  Your deadline, should you accept it. Is December 1st.  Plenty of time. 😉

Ian

Great, thank you. I built it in 2012 for the Dave Brewer challenge at ExpoNG but at the time didn’t do an article as I was only writing articles for 009 News, which being 1:12 scale it obviously isn’t suitable for. How long are the Dispatch articles typically? Just so I have a rough word count to aim for.

7 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Great, thank you. I built it in 2012 for the Dave Brewer challenge at ExpoNG but at the time didn’t do an article as I was only writing articles for 009 News, which being 1:12 scale it obviously isn’t suitable for. How long are the Dispatch articles typically? Just so I have a rough word count to aim for.

Such a difficult question. I usually tell people to write what they feel. It could be short, it could be long. If you’re clever with words and you re-wrote the poem “the Night before Christmas” to include a train set. I wouldn’t mind. I’d love it in fact.
I never word count articles. I and my proof readers may tidy them up and correct mistakes. But everything you read in The Dispatch is pretty much as it was sent to me. 
Take a look at back issues of The Dispatch. We have short articles, long articles, technical and simple ones. The variety is one of the attractions. 

Ian

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

Such a difficult question. I usually tell people to write what they feel. It could be short, it could be long. If you’re clever with words and you re-wrote the poem “the Night before Christmas” to include a train set. I wouldn’t mind. I’d love it in fact.
I never word count articles. I and my proof readers may tidy them up and correct mistakes. But everything you read in The Dispatch is pretty much as it was sent to me. 
Take a look at back issues of The Dispatch. We have short articles, long articles, technical and simple ones. The variety is one of the attractions. 

Ian

…and it’s really great!!!

Thanks again for your work! It's an incredible enrichment for anyone who likes micro layouts.

Best regards,

ThomasG 

Edited by ThomasG
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

I’ve really enjoyed all the issues so far. As someone who likes to build micro layouts I’ve found them all inspiring and with some clever, creative and often useful ideas that I might borrow for my own modelling. I like the way that the subjects and scales covered are so diverse, yet it all fits into the sort of railway modelling and layout building that I enjoy.

I have a few more layouts and moving dioramas that I’ve constructed over the past 10 years and could probably write up, as well as a couple of ongoing projects. Out of interest and for future reference, what’s your opinion on layouts in very small gauges? I know we’ve already covered the larger scale layouts which are ‘micro in spirit’ even though they take up a larger area, but by the same argument should micro layouts in, say, T or Z gauge really be proportionately smaller?

• Like 1

My opinion or editorial opinion? 😉 😆

I think a layout in the smaller scales has to be clever in it’s use of the space. For example, in the July 1973 Railway Modeller, John Allison built a Z scale layout on a carpenters folding ruler.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

20 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

in the July 1973 Railway Modeller, John Allison built a Z scale layout on a carpenters folding ruler.

I never saw that (will have to look out for a back issue now!) but I read later articles by John where he mentioned that layout. 👍

• 5 weeks later...

To all those who have expressed an interest in submitting articles for the Winter edition (including Christmas section) of The Dispatch. Could you please get those articles in to me? The run up to Christmas is very busy, even more so this year with three train shows in four weeks. The deadline for articles is December 1st. 

• Like 4

On 26/09/2022 at 14:35, Ian Holmes said:

If you’re clever with words and you re-wrote the poem “the Night before Christmas” to include a train set. I wouldn’t mind. I’d love it in fact.

Sounds like a great challenge!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
IMG_8583

The Spring issue of The Micro Model Railway Dispatch is now ready to download at www.micromodelrailwaydisaptch.com   

Lots of Micro Layout goodness, in all scales and gauges, for you to enjoy.

Don't forget your layout articles are always welcome too.

Ian

• Like 13

• 2 months later...