AY Mod

• Moderators

Rails Pic 2.jpg

Rails of Sheffield commissions exclusive SECR brake van

·       SECR single-veranda six-wheel brake van

·       Designed in the UK

·       Highly detailed

Rails Pic 1.jpg

Rails of Sheffield is delighted to announce a new exclusive ‘OO’ gauge model, the South Eastern & Chatham Railway single-veranda six-wheel brake van.

This model is the single-veranda version of Rapido Trains UK’s newly-announced SECR brake van. Rails’ version depicts the original body design, of which ten were ordered by the South Eastern Railway in 1898, followed by 35 built by the SECR between 1900 and 1909.

Rails of Sheffield’s Oliver Davies said, “We carefully select subjects for our exclusive wagon projects to fill in the gaps, so to speak, and this new brake van offers an exciting opportunity to do just that.

“Rails of Sheffield and Rapido Trains UK have put together quite a collection of ready-to-run ‘OO’ gauge SECR models and it’s great that we’re able to join forces to not only complement both our existing ranges but to offer SECR modellers more choice.”

Richard Foster of Rapido Trains UK said, “Rails’ exclusive SECR brake van shares the same high standard as our dual-veranda version. It’s highly detailed externally and internally, will have a high quality finish and has split-spoke wheels in metal bearings so it should run as well as it looks.

“On top of that, it’s been designed by our UK design team. The only compromise that we’ve had to make is in order to share a chassis with our model, the single-veranda version has the later oil axleboxes rather than the grease versions of the prototype. Other than that, this new model has all the hallmarks of quality that you’ve come to expect from Rapido and Rails of Sheffield.”

There are three single-veranda brake vans to collect:

Rails Pic 3.jpg

·       SKU931011: No. 2005, South Eastern Railway red livery

Rails Pic 4.jpg

·       SKU931012: No. 2025, SECR grey with black underframe metalwork

Rails Pic 5.jpg

·       SKU931013: No. 12067, SECR grey with black underframe metalwork

These models are in tooling and we expect delivery late 2022/early 2023. RRP is £39.95. Production is extremely limited so order now to avoid disappointment.

• Like 5

• AY Mod changed the title to Rails of Sheffield SECR 6W brake (single veranda) by Rapido
2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

All 3 ordered!! 😉

I thought I read that Hornby’s (sort of) E2 had cured you of your SE&CR addiction. 😄

I can’t blame you for ordering these – excellent news. I’ll have one or two of the double veranda types as well, I think.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I thought I read that Hornby’s (sort of) E2 had cured you of your SE&CR addiction. 😄

I can’t blame you for ordering these – excellent news. I’ll have one or two of the double veranda types as well, I think.

So did I. But Rapido & Rails know how to hit the right spots! (as does the lady in red in my avatar 😉 )

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Surely it just saved the cost of building a second veranda?

I would have thought it rather dangerous if they had omitted the little end handrail on that. 

I rather like it and if you painted "MR" in big letters on the sides it would have fooled me.

The Midland ones only ever had one veranda, including the earlier 4 wheeled ones.

NB. If I remember correctly, the Isle of Wight Central Railway bought one of the 4 wheelers second hand and re-built that with a second veranda !

All the best

Ray

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My NER version arrived (in Australia) this afternoon. It's lovely. I suspect that I will have enough to run brakevan specials (in a variety of liveries) once I get all those that I ordered 🙃🤓🤪

My 3 little vans arrived today along with the twin veranda type. I will only post the SER single type here.

Note little titch - a Rails/Dapol Terrier with the SER van, 2 LCDR wagons and a SECR open:

6w_09.jpg.b7a56a713abc6bf10b9754308928518c.jpg6w_10.jpg.646436e6198ce59e4d19cbd8e2fe1da5.jpg

6w_03.jpg

6w_04.jpg

6w_05.jpg

6w_06.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...