Invacar Transport Wagons.

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I have pics of  CARFITS (Looks like short WB) and Conflats (looking like Longer WB) as Transport for Invacars . 

Has anyone modelled either of these having found suitable Kits in 4mm, or used RTR 4mm versions?

If so, how and or what Kit/ RTR did you use?

I will need 8 if an when I get going with this little project..

Many thanks.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
Carfits rather than Carflats; my apologies
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

40 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I have pics of Carflats (Looks like short WB) and Conflats (looking like Longer WB) as Transport for Invacars . 

Has anyone modelled either of these having found suitable Kits in 4mm, or used RTR 4mm versions?

Many thanks.

Phil

It would help to see the photos in question.

CJI.

Carflats were bogie vehicles with various types of minimal body on a variety of old coach chassis. Conflats, so far as I know, were not used for motor vehicles, except for the oddly coded Conflat D, which was an SR wagon built as a vehicle carrier, but also used for containers. There were 4-wheel wagons coded Cartruck, Carfit A, Carfit C and Carfit S, and Lowfits were also commonly used for motor vehicles, and I have seen a photo of a Plate VB carrying a couple of original Minis. Apart from the Lowfits [and the Plate] I don't think there are any r-t-r or kits for any of them.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

I have pics of Carflats (Looks like short WB) and Conflats (looking like Longer WB) as Transport for Invacars . 

Many thanks.

Phil

Do you mean kits of Carflats/Conflats or Invacars?  If the latter, Oxford Diecast have just released a 1:76 version.

5645CDDE-3903-4970-A6BB-E5A90ABEBEFF.jpeg.bd7e4c15bf18afb9e7ed0c97d7ba744a.jpeg

AB87CA7D-0BAC-431D-8E26-E965056B4D2B.jpeg.9362e97ce1a155cee0191a1d550de1d3.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

One here on a Lowfit being pulled by a Grange.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/8680696188/

Thread here on them. Very long and mostly irrelevant, but ISTR there was a few photos of them being transported by train as well as historic pictures of them in the wild.

Beware there is a bit of Petrolhead humour and pages of boring stuff about things like insurance.

https://autoshite.com/topic/32723-lightbulbfuns-invacar-general-ramble-thread-index-on-page-1-survivors-lists-on-pages-24134-adgecutlers-invacar-mk12-restoration-from-page-186-onwards-chips-got/

Jason

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Do you mean kits of Carflats/Conflats or Invacars?  If the latter, Oxford Diecast have just released a 1:76 version.

5645CDDE-3903-4970-A6BB-E5A90ABEBEFF.jpeg.bd7e4c15bf18afb9e7ed0c97d7ba744a.jpeg

AB87CA7D-0BAC-431D-8E26-E965056B4D2B.jpeg.9362e97ce1a155cee0191a1d550de1d3.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

I was looking at that myself. 

P Reg is 1975/76 so a renumber might be needed for earlier if that's something that irks. I believe the last built was 1977.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invacar

Here's the real one. Bubble Car Museum at Langrick, Boston.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128691640@N04/48365151111

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Thread here on them. Very long and mostly irrelevant, but ISTR there was a few photos of them being transported by train as well as historic pictures of them in the wild.

Beware there is a bit of Petrolhead humour and pages of boring stuff about things like insurance.

https://autoshite.com/topic/32723-lightbulbfuns-invacar-general-ramble-thread-index-on-page-1-survivors-lists-on-pages-24134-adgecutlers-invacar-mk12-restoration-from-page-186-onwards-chips-got/

Jason

That's about nearest so far; thanks matey.

14 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Look closer - that's a CARTRUCK; one of the SWB ones.

CJI.

Cartruck was the code for an unfitted wagon. I think this may be an ex-SR Conflat A, usually recoded by BR as Lowfit, Lowfit S, or Carfit S. It appears to be marked 'XP', not that that is conclusive evidence it has a 10ft wb, I know. The whole subject of SR vehicle/container carriers and their several varieties of vacuum brakes is a bit of a nightmare, but I would suggest D1382 is perhaps a possibility...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Cwmtwrch said:

Cartruck was the code for an unfitted wagon. I think this may be an ex-SR Conflat A, usually recoded by BR as Lowfit, Lowfit S, or Carfit S. It appears to be marked 'XP', not that that is conclusive evidence it has a 10ft wb, I know. The whole subject of SR vehicle/container carriers and their several varieties of vacuum brakes is a bit of a nightmare, but I would suggest D1382 is perhaps a possibility...

Yes it's CARFIT...my apologies for being dull.

Conflat Ds also shown on P 31 Mike King's book. D1383.

I reckon the latter will be the easiest to bash?

I'm not too fussed but as there will be 8 wagons and eight Cars then it would be good to make it look OK.

Thanks for the info so far.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Cwmtwrch said:

Carflats were bogie vehicles with various types of minimal body on a variety of old coach chassis. Conflats, so far as I know, were not used for motor vehicles, except for the oddly coded Conflat D, which was an SR wagon built as a vehicle carrier, but also used for containers. There were 4-wheel wagons coded Cartruck, Carfit A, Carfit C and Carfit S, and Lowfits were also commonly used for motor vehicles, and I have seen a photo of a Plate VB carrying a couple of original Minis. Apart from the Lowfits [and the Plate] I don't think there are any r-t-r or kits for any of them.

Yes I think I will be having to 'bash' a 18'7" Conflat, unless Brian's Wish List gets noticed!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I forgot to mention that in Mike KIng's book it says manufactured in Surbiton, however they were also assembled or manufactured down west at  Broad Clyst. I have a single pic of that Loading Dock area with Cars on flats.

I suspect the manufacturing/assembly may have moved or centralised at Surbiton later in the 60s, using the Loading Dock at Surbiton that had been used for the Okehampton Car Carrier in the early 60s.

After Surbiton yard closed the loading moved to Guildford until Invacar production ceased in 1976.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Informative/Useful 1

The Surbiton loaded examples would have been built by AC Cars Thames Ditton. 

I'd be surprised if there were whole trains, as these would presumably be somewhat bespoke to the end users disability, so unlikely to be stockpiled at a dealer. However to rather contradict my own argument, there are at least two in this train. 

03/04/1976 - Whitemoor Junction, March.

Jon

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

That is 259 pages long. Please could we have a link to the actual page the photos on, or the number of the entries

Paul

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jonhall said:

I'd be surprised if there were whole trains, as these would presumably be somewhat bespoke to the end users disability, so unlikely to be stockpiled at a dealer. However to rather contradict my own argument, there are at least two in this train. 

03/04/1976 - Whitemoor Junction, March.

Jon

I've got a pic where there are three at  Broad Clyst already Loaded, with several more on the Loading Dock. What I should have pointed out and failed to clarify was I wasn't planning on doing all eight on the one Train. But (say) two workings; maybe Up from Clyst and down (from Surbiton) so we have them at Seaton Junction.

Nice pic by the way; vert early 70s. I reckon there is at least one more on that next Flat.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/04/2022 at 12:29, jonhall said:

Jon

I seem to remember that there were regional contractors for repairs and maintenance. They may have also acted as the centres for stock-holding the vehicles.  They would have had access to the optional parts to customize the Invacars to suit the needs of the users. I think that there were also regional centres for making assessments for prosthetics and mobility aids and they may have been the professionals who authorized the issue of Invacars.

I think that the centre that served our area in south London was at Roehampton.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I seem to remember that there were regional contractors for repairs and maintenance. They may have also acted as the centres for stock-holding the vehicles.  They would have had access to the optional parts to customize the Invacars to suit the needs of the users. I think that there were also regional centres for making assessments for prosthetics and mobility aids and they may have been the professionals who authorized the issue of Invacars.

Probably Broad Clyst's role? I have not researched it though.

Thanks Phil

On 19/04/2022 at 20:56, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

I know why the Lowfit is marshalled as in the photo, but its not an ideal location for an unprotected fibreglass vehicle!

Should have had some sheeting over it at least.

Edited by Hroth

On 21/04/2022 at 12:26, Hroth said:

I know why the Lowfit is marshalled as in the photo, but its not an ideal location for an unprotected fibreglass vehicle!

Should have had some sheeting over it at least.

Is there any evidence they were ever sheeted, they simply seem to have been roped down with a padded bolster dunnage bag across the windscreen? 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
The correct term was used later in this thread. I used bolster as that is a domestic equivalent.
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Is there any evidence they were ever sheeted, they simply seem to have been roped down with a padded bolster across the windscreen. 

Paul

Only ever seen the Padded stuff and straps in any pics I've seen Paul. Never knowingly saw any on a Train or just a Wagon.

Phil