Red Heat Emergency week of 18th July 2022

• RMweb Premium

Another useful tip is to look at your urine when de-ballasting, if it is fairly clear you are probably adequately hydrated, if it gets dark and brackish and stinks you're probably not drinking enough.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Ugh! I go back to work tomorrow after 2 weeks off! No air conditioning where I work...

I've not experienced 40 deg weather in my life (I hate hot weather so avoid going to Spain in Summer)

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Always amusing when people start complaining about lack of air conditioning, I was brought up in the countryside, just open a window and stop moaning...

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

16 minutes ago, Welly said:

Ugh! I go back to work tomorrow after 2 weeks off! No air conditioning where I work...

I've not experienced 40 deg weather in my life (I hate hot weather so avoid going to Spain in Summer)

Make sure you have plenty of water.

Went to Malta in 1988 when they were experiencing a heatwave. We had ten days of 40°C +. Had similar temperatures in Bali and Kalymnos.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Always amusing when people start complaining about lack of air conditioning, I was brought up in the countryside, just open a window and stop moaning...

Bit tricky when the windows don't open...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Here's a Sydney joke for you.

How do you tell when a British Airways plane lands at Sydney airport.

They turn the engines off and the whining continues!

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

So your Train doesn't have AC then?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KeithHC said:

No matter what all stay well drink plenty and put off those jobs if you can until Wednesday.

What, I'll have to do the jobs on Wednesday that I normally manage to put off for a lot longer than that?!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Not really looking forward to work next week, the aircon in the office hasn't been all that effective the last time the weather was warm and this will be quite a bit warmer. Although we've been promised free ice lollies.

• RMweb Gold

Something to consider in the next couple of day is how hot is your computer running.  A couple of days ago, I cleaned the accumulated dust & fluff out of my main desktop pc, including the fins of the cpu cooler.  A surprising amount accumulates in there.

There's a useful Windows utility you can download called "Speedfan" which gives you temperature readouts of your system,  cpu, hard disks and the ambient temperature inside the unit.  Here's a screen grab of the laptop I'm using to type this now.
image.png.54fabd0fdf10d4e95b68c000b4a89974.png

It might be wise to shut down your PC during the hottest part of the day or alternatively, put it in the breeze from an external fan. 

Beware USB fans.  It's easy to overload your USB system inadvertantly.  Homebase have some nice small desktop USB fans.  I've got one but I run it from a spare USB mains charger. It's dead handy on the workbench, just enough cooling breeze but not enough to blow your parts about (ooer Matron!)

Another thing to do is to have a look at the back of your fridge or freezer.  The cooling coils would most likely benefit from being cleaned.  I found this out the hard way on Friday!

Mark

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, JZ said:

Make sure you have plenty of water.

Went to Malta in 1988 when they were experiencing a heatwave. We had ten days of 40°C +. Had similar temperatures in Bali and Kalymnos.

Was that August 1988?  We were also in Malta then and it was possible the worst holiday we ever had.  We got switched hotels from St. Pauls to Sliema which was hugely overcrowded.  Shame as we'd had a couple of very good holidays there previously.  Made up our minds never to go back.

• Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

Something to consider in the next couple of day is how hot is your computer running.  A couple of days ago, I cleaned the accumulated dust & fluff out of my main desktop pc, including the fins of the cpu cooler.  A surprising amount accumulates in there.

There's a useful Windows utility you can download called "Speedfan" which gives you temperature readouts of your system,  cpu, hard disks and the ambient temperature inside the unit.  Here's a screen grab of the laptop I'm using to type this now.
image.png.54fabd0fdf10d4e95b68c000b4a89974.png

It might be wise to shut down your PC during the hottest part of the day or alternatively, put it in the breeze from an external fan. 

Beware USB fans.  It's easy to overload your USB system inadvertantly.  Homebase have some nice small desktop USB fans.  I've got one but I run it from a spare USB mains charger. It's dead handy on the workbench, just enough cooling breeze but not enough to blow your parts about (ooer Matron!)

Another thing to do is to have a look at the back of your fridge or freezer.  The cooling coils would most likely benefit from being cleaned.  I found this out the hard way on Friday!

Mark

Something to also consider is not running a laptop on your lap or table cloth covered table. Both have a tendency to cover over ventilation on the bottom. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

In the warehouse I used to manage it was when people stopped moaning you knew a problem was serious…

That's a common one in management, it's when things go quiet it's time to start worrying.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

So your Train doesn't have AC then?

Fan in the cabs are too noisy so I always turn it off and open the window.

Growing up in the rural countryside we had none of this air conditioning nonsense, that was for soft City folk...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

48 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

Was that August 1988?  We were also in Malta then and it was possible the worst holiday we ever had.  We got switched hotels from St. Pauls to Sliema which was hugely overcrowded.  Shame as we'd had a couple of very good holidays there previously.  Made up our minds never to go back.

It was June/July and our hotel was on the front, Tower Road, right on the border of Sliema/St Julians. Loved it and would like to go back sometime.

Edited by JZ

• RMweb Premium

People have different sensitivities to heat and humidity, and if air conditioning or heating is available to make conditions tolerable in a way that isn't possible by dressing for the season then my advice is to use it. 

I am in a country where the temperature is always high 20's - mid 30's during the day and with very high humidity. With the sun it can feel much hotter and in a nice day it can feel brutal. Despite the fact these conditions are normal and you do acclimatize very few here would want to get rid of air conditioning.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Growing up in the rural countryside we had none of this air conditioning nonsense, that was for soft City folk...

Don't have aircon in the house, I rely on fans in the bedroom and office/workshop and ceiling fans in the living room. I do have aircon in the railway shed.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I was brought up in the countryside, just open a window and stop moaning...

did you have neighbours with their inevitable builders, latest must have power tools, music, children and bbq smoke in the countryside, or were you blissfully unawhere how unpleasant the rest of the population is?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Fly screens are essential in homes/offices in Australia. Do your locos have fly screens? :-)

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Fly screens are essential in homes/offices in Australia. Do your locos have fly screens? :-)

Don't need fly screens, we have all the fly's plastered across the front which makes the yellow panels look like a currant bun...

Just popped into Chichester for some shopping and still amazed to see old people dressed in full coat, overcoats and hats Sunday Best!!!  How do they do it?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Fly screens are essential in homes/offices in Australia.

Yup, we had those on our home in Florida. Without those, everyone inside was a mozzie's supper.

Keeping the roaches out was a different problem...

These damp (sub)tropical places have an awful lot of wildlife. Most of it seems either to want to eat you or else eat your food. Sometimes both.

Yours, Mike.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

How do they do it?

A certain level of insanity helps...

Reminds me of a January in Florida - we were all heading into the mall, dressed in T shirts and shorts, since it was about 75F and sunny. We were confronted by a lady dressed in a fur coat. I think she was from New York or similar cold place up north and since it was January, fur coats were mandatory. She must have been toasting.