New Farish Mk1s

Modernist

Hi

I got one each of the SK and TSO in Crimson and Cream which arrived yesterday. Whatever the slight gripes about roof ribs etc I think they are a dramatic improvement from the previous Farish Mk1s. The undeframe is light years ahead for a start. N gauge rtr really is getting better and better at a far faster rate than any other modelling scale.

Can anyone comment on how they couple up with the recent Farsh Staniers? I'm thinking about the gaps and comparable heights. A pic of them side by side would be nice. I'm thinking of buying a rake of C+C staniers too and want to be able to run them in combination sometimes,

thanks

R E Faust

Can anyone comment on how they couple up with the recent Farsh Staniers? I'm thinking about the gaps and comparable heights. A pic of them side by side would be nice. I'm thinking of buying a rake of C+C staniers too and want to be able to run them in combination sometimes,

Very comparable, and will fully close couple with short shank rapido (though not shown here):

post-7627-014316600 1289132433_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

Very comparable, and will fully close couple with short shank rapido (though not shown here):

post-7627-014316600 1289132433_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for the reply Alan, so quick too :)

Seems my credit card is due some further abuse. Now just to track down at least one each of the varients released...some seem to be quite hard to find

R E Faust

The British Standard Gangway could be fitted with an adaptor to enable it to be firmly attached to a Pullman gangway, and allow people to walk between the carriages. The screw coupling of the British Standard Gangway carriage would be used after the buckeye of the Pullman gangway fitted carriage had been swung down out of the way. Buffers would be extended of course.

So the answer is most definately YES, Stanier carriages and Mark 1 carriages WOULD be coupled together in the same train.

Quote from Hornby forum

I wonder if the Mk1 pullmans will be fitted with the new Mk1 underframes? If they are similar enough as this would give a very good coach a close coupling capability.

I think Grafar should not sell any more old pattern MK1s. It's just a waste of plastic and the second hand market will be flooded by them as people buy the new models.

I wonder if the Mk1 pullmans will be fitted with the new Mk1 underframes? If they are similar enough as this would give a very good coach a close coupling capability.

I'd hope so. I've not actually taken either my MK1 Pullmans or the new MK1s apart yet - the hope is Farish has been sensible and made the parts directly compatble so they can do this for later batches.

I think Grafar should not sell any more old pattern MK1s. It's just a waste of plastic and the second hand market will be flooded by them as people buy the new models.

There's a reasonable argument for keeping the types that haven't been retooled on sale until they are upgraded. Certainly the old BSK, SO and CK shouldn't enjoy another production run and stocks run down. But Farish should only stop production of the Poole based MK1s as they are replaced (the BG, RMB, RU, GUV, FK and RFO).

I'm not sure the second hand market is going to be that flooded. The old MK1's scrub up rather well and until we get a wider selection, I'm not sure that many people will cut up the new ones to make the missing carriages, when the old ones either already reflect the type or are a lower risk method of getting there.

I picked up 4 today - wow! :blink:

Detail is top, livery application matches. I have 2 chocolate and cream, one crimson and cream and a maroon example. Lovely detailing pack too, with a rather handy dropped buckeye or two.

To be honest, the window prisms, ribs and mad trencher's grooves are only noticable if you are looking specifically for them, 99% of the time not at all noticable. Lovely crystal clear glazing too!

I guess I'd better order some Commonwealths from Mr Taylor and fit them soon!

cheers

jo

• RMweb Gold

The Mk1 Pullmans do have new underframes - with much better detailing than the original Farish Mk1s. The Mk1 Pullman chassis also have quite a few extra mounting points for the various additional battery boxes etc that Pullman coaches carry compared to standard Mk1s.

What they don't have is the coupler on a pivoting cam fixed to the underframe; they couplers are more traditionally mounted on the bogie.

Because of the way the Chinese work (set protocols for each model that once finalised they are very reluctant to modify or adapt) I would be very surprised indeed if they started releasing Mk1 Pullmans using the new "ordinary" Mk1 underframe.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

So the answer is most definately YES, Stanier carriages and Mark 1 carriages WOULD be coupled together in the same train.

If there are Staniers and Mk1s in the same rake weren't they kept apart as much as possible - i.e. rather than Stan-Mk1-Stan-Mk1 they'd be Stan-Stan-Mk1-Mk1. This way BR would reduce the number of corridor adaptors they'd need to use, not to mention fewer screw-links to mess about with.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

New Mk1 brakes seem to now be in the country also.....

Are you sure Dr Al? It would be great if they were (and a restaurant/buffet please!) but aren't they just new versions of the original type? Maybe they'll announce some more new ones at Warley?

Are you sure Dr Al? It would be great if they were (and a restaurant/buffet please!) but aren't they just new versions of the original type? Maybe they'll announce some more new ones at Warley?

I believe the esteemed doctor was referring to the previously announced new-tooling BSKs, which seem to now be in stock with all the usual suppliers. Most of the updated CKs have been released by the looks of things, too.

I agree about the catering cars, though, they would be a very welcome addition - also a nice BG would hit the spot...

Kevin

Yes the CKs are in and the raised window frames look good. I think this means that later version blue and grey (intercity & regional) will be spot on provided they have different bogies as previously mentioned. I'm sure somebody has a cad drawn up for catering cars as they use the same underframe. BG is shorter :-(

Looking at my old "rolling stock recognition" coaching stock book there is a case for sleeper coaches over rarer day coaches due to the number in service. They would be SUPERB to this standard!

Yes the CKs are in and the raised window frames look good. I think this means that later version blue and grey (intercity & regional) will be spot on provided they have different bogies as previously mentioned. I'm sure somebody has a cad drawn up for catering cars as they use the same underframe. BG is shorter :-(

Looking at my old "rolling stock recognition" coaching stock book there is a case for sleeper coaches over rarer day coaches due to the number in service. They would be SUPERB to this standard!

I have the CAD sitting on my desk just waiting a moment to double check a couple of details and the underframe/roof fittings.

Sleepers are a bit harder as they need some additional roof work beyond the white metal and plastic detailing parts already available.

Right. My earlier picture was taken in terrible Scottish winter light. I did not notice the little web attached to the bogie pivot cool.gif

I have cut a slot to make the bogie sit flat then swapped the new larger wheels from the new bogie and voila looks pretty good to me. problem. I dont think Bachmann supply these new commonwealth bogies. Do they?

Picture altered a bit for clarity.

They really are stunning - other then the coupling, I'd really have to look twice to tell what scale they are. Could almost be in O

STEVE

I took the plunge and tried to get the roof off. Stopped soon as I realised that there is an inner roof that probably is there to give the coach body some rigidity. There is access to the seating but not for painting. Snapped roof back on and splayed out sides to unclip body from chassis. The chassis come away complete with seating. I painted my tabletops grey as I like to see them like in the stanier open seaters. Probably not prototypical but I was one year old in 1959 and cant say I rememberlaugh.gif.

Please be careful when deconstructing your coach. Use thin screwdriver and slip card in to keep the gaps you make stay open.

Perform the above at your own riskblink.gif.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Got a CK and a TSO from Monk Bar models in York at the weekend. Both were blue/grey and mounted on a new moulding of the B4 bogie. Very nice models.

Also got one of the TPO cars in blue/grey, this is on B1 bogies. I have swopped the B4's on the CK with the B1's.

the Commonwealth bogies will need a bit of cutting to fit the new Mk1's but nothing too major. I do wish Bachmann would sell the Farish Commonwealths seperatly.

-> acg5324

B1 bogies on the TPO Blue Grey? Weird... when I asked whether B4s would be produced for Blue Greys, BachFar stated that the B4s were being developed precisely for the TPOs. And I'm sure I'm not alone in estimating that the market is bigger for B4s than B1s.

And while it would be a great marketing coup if new moulding B4s were available as spares, if they've not managed to get their act together to supply Commonwealth bogies, which must also hve a bigger market than B1s, it does look bleak for the B4s. Sorry Bachmann, but sometimes your marketing decisions "leave room for improvement"

Hope is the last thing to die as we say here in Germany, so I'm hoping!!!

• RMweb Premium

Ok here are a few pics of the new releases and one coach with Commonwealths fitted. These require a bit of a tweek as

they will roll abit as the bolster is not as wide as the newer bogies.

1foj15.jpg

1fojyw.jpg

1foj13.jpg

1foj1y.jpg

The TPO comes with B1 bogies I have taken the B4's from the CK and swopped them.

The underframe is completley different to the standard Mk1, it's not just the same with added bits.

1foj12.jpg

No stretcher window on the CK, this is supplied with B4 bogies but I swopped this for the B1's on the TPO.

1foj11.jpg

1foj1f.jpg

The TSO has a completely different roof to the SK

Any curveture to the pics is due to the wide angle lens :)

Those B4s looks a huge improvement over what was fitted to the pre-prod samples at Leamington. The body - bogie gap was non existant, and they appeared to have 7mm wheels. Time to buy some more mk1s me thinks...:lol:

cheers

jo

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann do spare bogies in OO so why not in N? I've previously written to them about this but got no joy--I think they said they don't like doing spares on top of the production batches. Maybe someone can explain their thinking?

Archived