Freight Superpower or Overkill

Happened on the Southern region too;

http://www.semgonline.com/electric/class73_04.html (Third down).

This would have been a 'revenue earning' (well, probably not, but you know what I mean!) service too.

There is, or certainly was until the mid 00's (its been a while) a 20' container on a wagon at Ipswich which is used for stores. I've seen that shunted around by 47's, 57's, 66's, 86's and 90's over the years.

• RMweb Premium

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60758442@N08/5715291039/

6K73 from Sellafield to Crewe (and 6C53 return) often throws up superpower as locos are moved to/from Crewe. It's not unknown for 5 or 6 locos on one or two flasks.

I have always wondered why flask trains are usually double headed, even when only one or two wagons are in the consist?

"usually" is the defining word.

Previously discussed here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/31742-nuclear-flasks-trains-with-one-loco/page__hl__nuclear__fromsearch__1

As John, says, principally to keep the nukes moving.

Cheers,

Mick

What caught my eye was photo of 50 on a 'goods' (note not freight!!) train albeit a rather short one!.

I can't recall ever seeing this type of loco on anything other than passenger or very occasionally parcels stock despite 'classing' them on the WCML north of Crewe before their transfer to the Western.

Was I just unlcky?

Andy

What caught my eye was photo of 50 on a 'goods' (note not freight!!) train albeit a rather short one!.

I can't recall ever seeing this type of loco on anything other than passenger or very occasionally parcels stock despite 'classing' them on the WCML north of Crewe before their transfer to the Western.

Was I just unlcky?

Andy

Slight O/T but one of mine to illustrate........

50043 on a boys scouts excursion from Cornwall to Heathfield (Netwon Abbot) in 1985

post-5198-0-29456500-1333053336_thumb.jpg

The subject of 50s on freight trains has been discussed before. http://www.rmweb.co....-freightand-pw/

There are also some really good pictures of 50s on both WR and LMR hauling freight in various books, in particular, "Class 50s in Operation" which has plenty of pictures of 50s on WR and LMR metals at the head of freight trains as well as a nice cover picture of an early NSE 50 hauling Polybulks through Westbury.

• 4 months later...

I also remember being on Basingstoke station one evening and seeing 2x 67 top and tailing 3 Turbot wagons.

Pete

I thought all Turbots only have vacuum brakes and that the 67s are air-braked only. I didn't think this would have been allowed.

Regards

David

• RMweb Gold

There was a time in the mid eighties where it was cheaper to run a short freight train than to run a light loco. Due to union manning agreements a light engine had to have a secondman, a freight didn't, so hook an empty wagon on the back of your light engine and make it into a train to save the need for a secondman on the job.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Was I just unlcky?

Andy

I have a photo somewhere that I took at Crewe with one on an Up Freightliner, must have been about 1978?

I thought all Turbots only have vacuum brakes and that the 67s are air-braked only. I didn't think this would have been allowed.

Regards

David

Hence the necessity to t&t. An Ipswich job used to exist between the WRD and the non road accessible fuel point, requiring two a/b locos either side of a v/b 4 wheeled well wagon for the movement of oil drums etc, both locos manned natch.

C6T.

Hence the necessity to t&t. An Ipswich job used to exist between the WRD and the non road accessible fuel point, requiring two a/b locos either side of a v/b 4 wheeled well wagon for the movement of oil drums etc, both locos manned natch.

C6T.

I assume that means that it's effectively operated as an unfitted train with a very expensive powered brake van on the rear! I had thought that all trains had to be braked nowadays, but obviously not.

Regards

David

• 3 weeks later...

Superpower but not overkill............

59103 leaving Woodborough Loop with 3177.5 tonnes of crushed Somerset contained in 1127.5 tonnes of shaped steel grossing some 4300 tonnes on the drawbar or put less imaginatively the 13:30 [6L21]SX Whatley Quarry - Dagenham Dock stone on 06/09/12.

and this happens 5 days a week so that's give or take 825,000 tonnes of stone a year by this working alone.

Well I was impressed by it..........

post-5198-0-72149900-1347055889_thumb.jpg

Or a single 37 with the state they were in at the time! Leaking front windows, fungal growth on the side panels and plenty of peeling masking tape losing the fight against draughts all added to the effect... ...and that was just the driver's side in the cab!

here is a very simple answer to all these "odd" workings, A wagon needs to be moved from A to B, ask those nice men in Control, and the first loco and crew available is used.

Oh, and 50's were well used on freight on the LM - just done at night when there were no passenger jobs. Some workings were diagrammed, some on the principle "if it has BR (or t'arrows) on it, us it".

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Superpower but not overkill............

59103 leaving Woodborough Loop with 3177.5 tonnes of crushed Somerset contained in 1127.5 tonnes of shaped steel grossing some 4300 tonnes on the drawbar or put less imaginatively the 13:30 [6L21]SX Whatley Quarry - Dagenham Dock stone on 06/09/12.

and this happens 5 days a week so that's give or take 825,000 tonnes of stone a year by this working alone.

Well I was impressed by it..........

It was even more impressive back in the days when the early morning Merehead - Acton used to run with a trailing load of around 5,000 tonnes, 5 days a week.

Archived