Railway footage in feature films and television...

one summer 1983, Liverpool lime street station from 46 mins in with blue diesels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nTiAp-27Ac&feature=related

then at the begining of part 2 they are on a train hauled by a green hymek which looks like the NYMR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDWQgqoMoYQ&feature=related

That brings back memories. I remember watching that when it came out.

• Like 1

Now there's interesting...

Oh Mr Porter sprung to mind because that was an old film, it was also filmed on the Basingstoke to Alton line, and had a train crash although I don't think it was as spectacular as "The Wreckers". And not forgetting the IRA (gun runners in this instance) although I don't recall this being part of the story line in the Wreckers.

Over to lmsforever I think?

F

The IRA were in Oh Mr Porter dont know about the Wrwecker havent seen either film for many years .

Not sure about trains, but part of the BBC series "Gangsters" was shot in and around Birmingham Snow Hill station before demolition.

Dave

I've recently aquired this on dvd but I've not watched all of the episodes yet, ta for the heads up, I'll have a look ;)

Thought of another couple last night after logging off...'Performance', made in late 1968 with Mick Jagger and James Fox has a scene shot at Kensington Olympia, as does another episode of The Sweeney called 'Selected Target' from the third series in 1976.

Some tv shows/films that have trains in them

Mythbusters. Various myths involving trains including can you get sucked of the platform by the turbulence

The big bang theory. The group travel on an American train if I can remember a pullmans

Chuck. The duo run away on the orient express

Emmerdale. Train crashes into van

Micheal portillo looking at the Bradshaw guides travels on various trains around the uk

• RMweb Premium

does anyone know the location? 2 mins 6 sec.

I don't know the location of the bridge near the colliery but would think that it is in the lancashire coalfield. Much of the film was filmed just north of Clitheroe and as far as I know the later sequence in the tunnel was filed on the Blackburn Hellifield line. One of my schoolfriends was one of the extras who was in the crowd running down the hill.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

I was surprised that it got to mess 98 before the first episode of Porridge was mentioned. Nothing wrong in leaving St. P. for Carlisle.

Or the Railway Children, film and T.V. series,

The remake of Brief Encounter (crap film),

I think that there was a second Avenger's program that had railways in it, bad man trying to get off a moving maroon Mk1.

One some thing like ghost line, it was set in a signal-box in a cutting near to a tunnel, T.V. program late 90s -00s.

There are more.

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo

Doctor Who - The Deadly Assassin had a scene filmed at Amberley Chalk Pit Museum I think Tom Baker nearly gets hit by one of their narrow gauge locos

Doctor Who - The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances had a lot of scenes filmed at the Barry Island Railway

Doctor Who -The Wedding of River Song had CGI steam locos

Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows (which is in cinemas from today) had scenes filmed at Didcot Railway Centre, Bluebell Railway and the Severn Valley Railway.

Miss Potter had scenes filmed on the Bluebell

60163 Tornado, the Great Central and the East Anglian Railway Museum have all featured in episodes of Top Gear

Great British Machines - The 1930's which featured the A4's and 60019 Bittern and Great British Machines -Trains with Chris Barrie there was also another programme with Chris Barrie that featured 60009 Union of South Africa.

How Do They Do? had an episode that featured 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley on the NYMR and also Tornado.

Absolutely Chuffed the documentry about the building of Tornado plus the many other railway programmes that featured on BBC Four a few years back

Mark Williams On The Rails

Trains with Pete Waterman

Off the Rails with Vince Henderson

Central Steam

Speed Machines

Southern Steam (a programme we used to get on ITV in the South East)

Yorkshire Steam

I'm sure there are a million others.

Edited by Dan Hill

One some thing like ghost line, it was set in a signal-box in a cutting near to a tunnel, T.V. program late 90s -00s.

I'm not sure of that date -- but your comment made me think of The Signalman (1976), starring Denholm Elliot, released by the BFI on DVD.

Paul

I'm not sure of that date -- but your comment made me think of The Signalman (1976), starring Denholm Elliot, released by the BFI on DVD.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

that's the one.

Just thought of this one, The Beatles Help? With Wilfred Hiydwhite (I don't think that's spelt right). Old man Steptoe.

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo

• RMweb Gold

Just thought of this one, The Beatles Help? With Wilfred Hiydwhite (I don't think that's spelt right). Old man Steptoe.

OzzyO.

Wrong Wifred Ozzy - it was Wifred Brambell. And they all used to shoot up & down from/to Somerset in a special most days, worked by D8XX and just about the only time you'd guarantee plenty of girls out 'train spotting' on the Western mainline.

Wrong Wifred Ozzy - it was Wifred Brambell. And they all used to shoot up & down from/to Somerset in a special most days, worked by D8XX and just about the only time you'd guarantee plenty of girls out 'train spotting' on the Western mainline.

That was the man. Thanks for that.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Premium

As some of us are old enough to have seen the film in a cinema full of screaming girls it was Hard Days Night and not Help, the black and white one.

Jamie

Linking two mentions in one - the Professionals, and (Plywood) mock-ups:-

in the 1982 film "Who Dares Wins - The Final Solution" there is a scene in an SAS training camp involving the entry into a train, and the train is represented by two continental (possibly German) carriage ends coupled together.

• RMweb Premium

An episode of Last of the Summer Wine where Foggy is a closet railfan and Compo manages to start that GW Pannier in LT coours.

A Hard Day's Night -- if you turn the sound down there are scenes inside carriages (Mark 1?) including the guards section.

From the '50s -- Casey Jones, an American juvenile series with Alan Hale Jr (later captain of the Minnow) using the same loco as Petticoat Junction(?).

Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows (which is in cinemas from today) had scenes filmed at Didcot Railway Centre, Bluebell Railway and the Severn Valley Railway.

And the engine shed and coaling tower at Didcot are quite recognizable as part of a German munitions factory, despite all the CGI fill in. (Not a power station cooling tower to be seen!)

It was funny to see Swindon's finest decked out as German, late-Victorian era steam in the dark. Lots of tapered boilers in the back of one scene that looks like it was shot inside the shed. I'm guessing that the German markings were added in post-production. At one point there's a very visible shot of a GWR number plate as bold as the brass it was cast in. There is just no mistaking a Swindon cast number plate. (I wasn't quick enough to commit the number to memory, though it might have been 6106. Guy Ritchie's editing doesn't linger over an action shot.) When it is available, this is a DVD where I am going to spend a lot of time freezing the image.

There is a lovely evocative recreation of what I assume is meant to be London Victoria station. I assume it's mostly CGI. You never get to see the full coach livery, but unlike the earlier movie which featured the South Eastern and Chatham Railway, I think the main featured train purports to be the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. (They are headed to Brighton after all.)

Lately there's been a lot of commentary on the whole steampunk vibe of Game of Shadows, but there is certainly a lot of steam trains in it and it's nice to see *some* effort applied to recreating pre-grouping railways. I can't comment on the locomotives. Most of the scenes are dark and you don't see the locomotives for more than a second or so at a time.

There is also scene with a large viaduct. (Smardale? Oldbury/Daniels Mill??? on the SVR?)