Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold

Train - he's got some other gems like this incl a class 101 which he's selling due to end of hobby.  Dunno what we're all gonna do chaps with no hobby and no rmweb.  I wish someone had told me the hobby's coming to an end before I bought all that stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/train-/330981303597?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d1005e52d

• RMweb Gold

If these sell, this guy has a career selling ice cream to the Inuit (or is it Eskimos again, since the Eskimos don't like being lumped in with the Inuit?)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/peco-streamline-finescale-code-75-point-empty-boxes-x-6-with-instructions-/221264579280?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3384658ad0

The "Locos to Scale" series by Iain Beattie were flawed, just like Roche before him. Have a look at his "U" drawing - it merges the "new build" U with the cab front of the "rebuilt River" (which was wider, and had a lower running plate) and presents it as gospel. At least one kitmaker (Falcon Brass) relied on it, and the result was unhappy......

To be fair, there was not much available at the time which was as accessible.

They built a new "U" recently by dropping a class 70.

Edited by Baby Deltic

I'm actually really pleased with this little lot:

IMG_1817-1.JPG

IMG_1816-1.JPG

I can't have spent more than 100 notes (sorry, no pound sign on this laptop) on the locomotive & rake.  Now they are not sophisticated models by any stretch of the imagination, but another 30 pouns or so on transfers, flush glazing & detailing kits & they will do from a distance.  My boy certainly won't mind and it's all for him really.

OK, I could have bought a load of new Bachmann for the price, but not as much.  I also wouldn't have the fun of some work on them in making a train as I remember them from my childhood...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I responded to an  E Bay listing for an “assortment” of five Hornby Dublo coaches.  There was just one single photograph and on close inspection, one of the coaches looked like the super detailed restaurant car so I bid for and got the five caches for £67.

It was indeed the SD Restaurant Car, and although not mint, (there was some paint damage on one side), I am now the proud owner of this (and four other coaches) without paying the several hundred quid this item normally attracts when MIB.  My Hornby Dublo layout is such that only one side of the vehicles is visible so the paint damage can’t be seen.

I responded to an  E Bay listing for an “assortment” of five Hornby Dublo coaches.  There was just one single photograph and on close inspection, one of the coaches looked like the super detailed restaurant car so I bid for and got the five caches for £67.

It was indeed the SD Restaurant Car, and although not mint, (there was some paint damage on one side), I am now the proud owner of this (and four other coaches) without paying the several hundred quid this item normally attracts when MIB.  My Hornby Dublo layout is such that only one side of the vehicles is visible so the paint damage can’t be seen.

Colin

That's half the fun of buying off Ebay. Finding an item you want at a cost which you believe is reasonable. To me a non Hornby Dublo collector £67 for 5 tinplate coaches seems expensive, yet to the initiated you have unearthed a little gem. That's what it is all about, rather than put the item into a search engine and instantly have a list of highly priced items. Well done

Just had another great buy from Ebay as follows

Alan Gibson (Packets)

1 x 2mm top hat bearings, 3 x (pairs) 5' Bullied Drivers 1 x 3' 6" Bullied wheels, 2 x packs of 6 crank pins, 1 x coupling rods 7' 4" x 8'

Crownline 

Sprung stepped parallel buffers & 1 x 1/8th chassis bearings (Hornby)

At todays prices off the Alan Gibson website RRP £45.45

I paid £3.20 = £2.80 postage and received a £1.40 refund. I feel rather guilty as once you deduct the cost of the Jiffy bag and Ebay/Paypal fees there is not much left over.

The items were clearly described and had a good photo, but were in 'other 00'  section

Waiting for a couple of other items, a pair of GWR 4 wheeled coach etches (£11 inc postage) and an old Eames/Jamieson GWR County (4-6-0) loco body and I paid £13.40 including postage. And buy it now 144 mixed piercing saw blades £3.99 free postage

​Just goes to prove bargains are still there

Etches and piercing saw blades arrived yesterday. The etches are very good and I think are SR bodies, They need roofs, and underframes as basicly are bodies, ends solebars and footboards, with a few bits for brakes etc on the etch. As the etch has only one W iron (missing) on it and there is no underframe I guess the underframes have been used for other things.

The GWR County loco body arrived today, looks to be quite well built and is certainly either a Jamieson model, needs a chassis and tender. I have either a Cotswold whitemetal Hawksworth tender, which I think is correct or an old Eames King/Castle type, which is more in the style of the kit. Would like an old Jamieson Chassis rather than an etched one though

Etches and piercing saw blades arrived yesterday. The etches are very good and I think are SR bodies, They need roofs, and underframes as basicly are bodies, ends solebars and footboards, with a few bits for brakes etc on the etch. As the etch has only one W iron (missing) on it and there is no underframe I guess the underframes have been used for other things.

The GWR County loco body arrived today, looks to be quite well built and is certainly either a Jamieson model, needs a chassis and tender. I have either a Cotswold whitemetal Hawksworth tender, which I think is correct or an old Eames King/Castle type, which is more in the style of the kit. Would like an old Jamieson Chassis rather than an etched one

Here is the photo, these is an etch with the floor, Wirons partitions etc missing but at £11 all in for 2 coach etch frets not bad

post-1131-0-82999300-1376811486.jpg

It has no underframe etches and is basicly sides, ends, solebars and footboards with some of the brake gear. Once I know the prototype (its been suggested it may be LSWR) I can get some castings.

Also want to know if the droplights are dropped in between the 2 sides or the sides are laminated together

Edited by hayfield

The GWR County loco body arrived today, looks to be quite well built and is certainly either a Jamieson model, needs a chassis and tender. I have either a Cotswold whitemetal Hawksworth tender, which I think is correct or an old Eames King/Castle type, which is more in the style of the kit. Would like an old Jamieson Chassis rather than an etched one though

Photo of the County

post-1131-0-99683500-1376825726_thumb.jpg

Think Jamieson produced the 4-6-0 County

• RMweb Premium

Just waiting for a real steal to turn up. A really rubbish heading poor description, and in totally the wrong area. Cost me tens of pounds instead of hundreds. 

• Like 2

....Think Jamieson produced the 4-6-0 County

They certainly did. One or two seem to be coming out of the woodwork as of late.

Other "County" kits were produced by M&L and Bristol Models, I think - both whitemetal.

Then there was the Falcon etched version, which Mike G struggled with for a while, but got a good result.....once a few things had been replaced.

I have what I thought was the M&L kit, but looking again the chassis does look like a Bristol Models one.

Jamieson kits are coming up quite often, a Saint (I have one) and a Barnum both sold yesterday for £44 & £48 plus postage, both un-built which is quite expensive. Saint having a chassis kit included,To my mind its better to source a built loco to strip detail and repaint as they sell for less

There was a D & S GE 10 ton van kit, unbuilt, finished last night for £46. About an hour later I won a built one, not described as D & S, for less than a tenner. It pays to look carefully, sometimes.

Jonathan

I bought 10 D&S unmade wagon kits a year or two ago from a local shop ranging from £3.50 to £5 each. The best being DS/159-C NER 8 Ton goods wagon with a metal (etched) frame for carrying light but bulky loads. Soon after I bought them I noticed how much they sell for second hand. From £15 but mostly in the £20's 

I guess that some of the rarer ones are worth more providing you put them in the right place with a good photo and description. On your buy I guess the description was not up to much. Well done 

I have a GNR Refrigerator van, Yours for £100 as you saved so much money, and a pair of GCR 10 ton cattle vans (are they worth more as a pair like vases?)

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

The stupid part of that, John, is that for that money you could have a brand new one of those NE open kits from Andrew Hartshorne.  The 'rare' ones, like the GN vans or apparently anything GC, do sell for ridiculous money.  It's a shame ABS can't seem to get them back to market as there's clearly a demand for them.

If I'd have seen those 10 kits at the same time as you, though, we might have had a fight....

Perhaps I should consider parting with the cattle wagons, I also have a 10 ton double and a 10 ton single (why dont they sell them in pairs) GC bolster wagons. You have made my day.

I also have 3 LNWR hopper wagons which being an unusual shape thought were worth having