Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 45669 said:

Here's another short clip from Highley; this time it's GWR 'Saint' Class 4-6-0 2999 LADY OF LEGEND.  Or 'Lady of Leisure' as I heard somebody call her!

TTFN,

Ron.

I would have thought it would have been playing 'I'm a twisted fire starter' from its setting fires in various places from the chimney and lack of spark arrester. Having said that the J94 was putting on quite a loud and distorted performance. It was impossible to hear the exhaust from the 77 when the J was opened up to full first valve.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, didcot said:

I have it on good authority that the Saint does have a spark arrester.

Curiosity, what good authority? I did not drive it so did not need to look it over, however most of the fires came from it and from its chimney by the location and a respected member of staff who looked over the engine said it was not fitted with one. 

Whatever that the S15 and A4 were all popular with visitors with over 6000 paying passengers and about 1500 shareholders travelling over the 4 day weekend, and over 300 of the QE2 sold. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, 45669 said:

Two more short vids to finish off the day:

Night, night.

Ron.

The whistling, badly on Sunday (sorry) is something I always do going past the engine house in memory of an old driver and friend who always whistled on Ilkley Moor Bah Tat as he left Highley.  

I've finally got the last three of my videos from the Spring Steam Gala edited and onto YouTube:

Hope you have enjoyed looking at them.

TTFN,

Ron.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just the one photo from my visit today 15th May with @Pierre Le Brun …. But there is much of interest. 

3BDC8904-FD11-4C9E-BFB7-30B6BAA2E33A.jpeg.c73fa2301a606329208b941b8cd0dc11.jpeg

D4 is running round her train …. She was on great form today see video Here

In the MPD yard are the new build 82045, to her left is the returning 4930 …. Is it really 36 years since she last steamed? … and in front of the 350 is 2999, amongst others.  What a great selection of locos .

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 02/06/2022 at 17:17, rogerzilla said:

Supposedly the only reason Hagley Hall became the SVR "flagship" is because a former bigwig used to live in it.  The house, not the engine.

ISTR a Hornby model of it about 40 years ago.

Yes Hagley did become our flagship as Lord Cobham was our Patron. Hagley is now in the last stages of her overhaul. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, StuAllen said:

A few firsts for me today - never visited the SVR until today, also the first time I’ve see. A western in the flesh. Looking forward to seeing Elizabeth II later

On

Western Queen running with Royal Train head code ….

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I like this view of the Western. Bottom photo could be a caption competition.

721740324_2022-06-04(1).png.76516d700b69350422a3a0d9c7ca0eb5.png

When you get to a certain age, remember to text your wife you're on train after you board it because by the time you've figured out how to send the message.....

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

From experience, it can be very hard to get a taxi in the Severn Valley, so he's got a long walk back to Bridgnorth.

Never had problems getting home from the SVR, it's usually fine as long as you can get to Kiddy as I'm going that way.

But a few times it's been a bit hairy trying to get back from Llangollen. Dodgy bus companies then a terrible rail service from Ruabon. Definitely been in the "Let's phone a cab and try and get to Chester" territory before now.

Then just as you are going to do so the bus/train finally turns up.....

• 6 months later...