Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Tony, sorry to hear you've come down with the dreaded Covid. My other half had it a few weeks ago, nothing more than a 24 hour bout of snivels, I never caught it at all. She took 10 days before she tested negative though.

Hope you don't suffer badly (your reports so far seem to confirm that) and that you recover quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s interesting the different takes on Covid by everyone. I come out of my isolation period tomorrow, it was no more then a very mild flu, I’ve definitely had worse! I spent the majority of the week modelling, playing various games on the PlayStation and watching movies/tv shows. Down here in Australia we don’t have to test negative to leave ISO, as long as you have no particular symptoms you’re free to go. My whole family and partner got it at the same time, which was something of a silver lining as we spent the isolation together and not seperate on our own. It was tough as we had to close the family business, I don’t think it’s been closed this long since my great-grandfather started it in 1927.  I’ll post my modelling efforts later today. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

It’s interesting the different takes on Covid by everyone. I come out of my isolation period tomorrow, it was no more then a very mild flu, I’ve definitely had worse! I spent the majority of the week modelling, playing various games on the PlayStation and watching movies/tv shows. Down here in Australia we don’t have to test negative to leave ISO, as long as you have no particular symptoms you’re free to go. My whole family and partner got it at the same time, which was something of a silver lining as we spent the isolation together and not seperate on our own. It was tough as we had to close the family business, I don’t think it’s been closed this long since my great-grandfather started it in 1927.  I’ll post my modelling efforts later today. 

Hope the family are all OK Jesse

Baz

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

On 29/05/2022 at 20:16, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for all the wishes of goodwill.

I'm actually feeling 'normal' now (though 'normal' is questionable in my case!). Normal enough to carry on model-making..........

404605234_Nu-CastV206.jpg.c6cf52a26ecce196c2b35320006f94db.jpg

Not so much achieved today as I'd hoped (cleaning up those grotty castings took a lot of time). 

Still just 'detailing' left now. 

I suppose the question might be asked - why take so much time building (yet another) Nu-Cast V2? A friend has succumbed to temptation and bought a latest Bachmann RTR one for just £150.00 (a marvellous price). 

In a way, it's a 'no-brainer', especially with regard to price. I'm buying the kit for £50.00, a complete set of 'boots' must come out towards £60.00, then around £80.00 for the drive. Add on sundries (handrail pillars, couplings, etc) and the price breaks through £200.00 (yes, less than a Bachmann V2 RRP, but who pays that full amount?).  

Despite the costs involved, I still like building locos which become 'mine' in a unique way (a personal choice). All one needs is money to acquire an RTR loco.

Hi Tony ,

Glad to hear you are recovering from covid & hope Mo quickly shakes it off as well . Most people I know who've had covid have had the same symptoms as you , but how much worse would it have been without the vaccine? 

I too am currently working on a Nu Cast V.2 . one that I have had in stock for many years ( it cost £32.50 including wheels ) & am glad to see the modifications I made to the Comet chassis are virtually identical to yours . To me , personally , I just enjoy the kit building more than I do detailing & weathering RTR .

Another factor for me is that on a limited pension , even with discount , the Bachman V.2 is just too expensive .                                            Keep well ,

Ray .

• Like 5

Glad to hear that you are on the mend Tony. I hope Mo can cope with your care for a bit!  Keep safe!

Like every one here I am on the V2 band wagon (though I fell off for 19 months) Back to the Pair i am building. The comparison of the Nucast to Finney is quite unfair really but the speed at which whitemetal locos can be assembled is quite amazing. I have a Nucast kit somewhere but I am going to concentrate on the 2 on the work bench at the moment. I have reached, I think, the point that I take the bodies of the supporting trusses! 

I have been also looking at the D49's in both the hunt and shire formats. I Am not sure what is the best route to achieve the best looking version of the class. I have a Hornby body and comet chassis with a Bachmann tender. Is this the best route to a highly useful smaller loco? 

any how look after yourself 

regards

Doug

Edited by DougN
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Hope the family are all OK Jesse

Baz

Thanks Baz, where all good down here. Mum copped it the worst out of all of us but she only felt crap for three days. Last day of ISO tomorrow, back to work Thursday and let me tell you a schooner of Tooheys New has never sounded so good. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

..... a schooner of Tooheys New .....

Last time I was in Sydney I found an excellent pub - 'The Palisade' - that served good old Imperial pints.

It must have been unusual at that time as several obviously local customers asked the barman what measure I was drinking - and demanded the same!

A couple of years later, pints were readily available in Perth, and all up the west coast.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Hi Tony ,

Glad to hear you are recovering from covid & hope Mo quickly shakes it off as well . Most people I know who've had covid have had the same symptoms as you , but how much worse would it have been without the vaccine? 

I too am currently working on a Nu Cast V.2 . one that I have had in stock for many years ( it cost £32.50 including wheels ) & am glad to see the modifications I made to the Comet chassis are virtually identical to yours . To me , personally , I just enjoy the kit building more than I do detailing & weathering RTR .

Another factor for me is that on a limited pension , even with discount , the Bachman V.2 is just too expensive .                                            Keep well ,

Ray .

Thanks Ray,

Mo's had a worse dose than I did but (as all woman do) is coping well. 

I've finished all the bodywork on my latest Nu-Cast V2...........

26144171_Nu-CastV209.jpg.2ddf97a1a88cafe3737f0199d006da0f.jpg

This was the state of play this morning.

1586263356_Nu-CastV210.jpg.d217e411e0ec51bca5c4768bf4f6c92b.jpg

And, this is it now (or about two hours ago). 

Just the motion to erect tomorrow. 

I think the Nu-Cast kit (on a decent chassis) makes up into a very-presentable V2, especially with a decent paint job (which won't be mine). 

I'm with you regarding preferences, despite the excellence of current RTR. You're also right about prices. With everything going up in price, current RTR (not just locos) is going to be beyond the pockets of many before too long.

I'm lucky in being 'exempt', so to speak. I have no need of RTR (though over 90 modified Bachmann Mk.1s have been very useful!) and I still have a stash of kits to build. I also have plenty of Romford/Markits wheels in stock (though they've gone 'through the roof' in terms of prices of late), plus motors and gearboxes. The rub will come when I have to restock.

Friends tell me that ebay can be a good source of stuff at reasonable prices. However, since the procedure is a total 'black art' as far as I'm concerned, I'll have to ask their assistance. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Last time I was in Sydney I found an excellent pub - 'The Palisade' - that served good old Imperial pints.

It must have been unusual at that time as several obviously local customers asked the barman what measure I was drinking - and demanded the same!

A couple of years later, pints were readily available in Perth, and all up the west coast.

John Isherwood.

Still going, although possibly slightly more salubrious than when you were there (not necessarily a good thing):

http://hotelpalisade.com.au/

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Still going, although possibly slightly more salubrious than when you were there (not necessarily a good thing):

http://hotelpalisade.com.au/

That looks to be as I remember it - the ground floor bar at least. I particularly liked the stripped brickwork, showing remnants of the Victorian signage.

CJI.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Continuing on from my post of Isolation Modelling, here are some of the things I’ve done. It’s mostly been some well need weathering apart from finishing off a B2. 

So we’ll start with the B2. I bought this loco off Tony years ago, it’s a whitemetal kit and was already built and painted. It had a horrible lime green looking paint job, I couldn’t get it to run properly on DCC for some reason, I put it down to my mechanical limitations. I ended up substituting a Bachmann GS tender for her, altering it to look like the whitemetal one. With tender picks up now added I turned to changing the motor, opting for a DJH one like usual and away she went. She started to perform effortlessly. 

She stayed in horrible green and black tender for a while until I asked fellow BRMA member Charles Rudder if he could paint her, which he did. Charles did a beautiful job and again she stayed in a better green for about a year and half. I decided to finish her off on my second day into isolation. So the HMRS sheets came out, so I started on the lining, my second attempt at lining and I feel it’s a much better job then my first. I opted for 5427 as she lost her name plate in ‘37 I believe, lazy modelling at its finest, no need to buy and wait for a nameplate….

Oh and there is the ah thin red lining on the front it’s just ahh covered you know…by the weathering……… 

F0B96CE7-7CF9-4801-B811-1D6ECA82274D.jpeg.b7ccc383ce6b5280f758704c4df26803.jpeg

72D911E1-69B6-4291-B219-7D892816CAB9.jpeg.cc5c16139749a291619da082f3e7b6fd.jpeg

Shes not perfect, definitely a layout loco but I’m quite happy with her. 

Moving on I finally decided on tackling the loaded coal train. The Empty train was weathered last year so it was good to see some muck applied to the loaded ones. Only about 15 left to do…

1E161E97-842C-4033-9214-27F046D92F71.jpeg.50e91ba13123239f7cfff20f1b8f2e65.jpeg

Also three tankers went under the brush. 

3B20E4A8-087D-4B42-A917-7A88FE7A0B70.jpeg.270291be1e3feeeafb5a2a63b729454f.jpeg

Lastly, an A4, sacrilege some might say! This loco is somewhat a celebrity on my layout, she was on the roster at Warley in 2016 on Grantham and on the roster again for the Little Bytham LNER weekend. I weathered her back in 2015 but now that my weathering has excelled I thought a re-weather was needed. Being a Scottish based engine she was no where near as filthy as she had ought to have been. So I went to town her. She’s still somewhat clean, more of a hard days worker that needs a good scrub. She’s rostered on the Coronation on Woolmer Green so she’ll be getting that scrub at Top Shed. 

597160C7-F85B-478E-B5C7-A893117F2EC1.jpeg.64f6953f64a1f017cd1c19507081fc31.jpeg

E87B6980-943F-4066-986A-E4600A59966E.jpeg.7e773a007aaff203941ccde11b93c991.jpeg

70ECC247-7A52-4FB2-A2E6-646425188BF5.jpeg.b9e2f362c5e8a36d962769cf70b6aa69.jpeg

I must apologise for the horrible photos, I’m still at home and it’s very windy here so I couldn’t take the photos in my normal afternoon sun spot. 

EDIT: Apologies again, I forgot to crop the photos, ignore my sisters sowing mannequin. 

Jesse

I think the A4 looks great - not sure I'm game to do that to one of mine  - maybe I will to Sparrow Hawk?

The silver tankers I believe are a post WW2 livery, they look good though - so out of your period assuming it to still be only pre WW2? I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong about that.

Andrew

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

Jesse

I think the A4 looks great - not sure I'm game to do that to one of mine  - maybe I will to Sparrow Hawk?

The silver tankers I believe are a post WW2 livery, they look good though - so out of your period assuming it to still be only pre WW2? I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong about that.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, send it over to me I’ll do it! 

I didn’t know about the tankers, oh well, they’ll do for now. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jrg1 said:

Ordering.PNG.edb3b1d328d4ec895d81b3a46e2ec10c.PNG

That doesn't look quite right to me. I'll defer to our Victorian friends but last time I was in Melbourne my beer came in pots or more usually pints (whether they were a full Imperial pint or not, I'm not entirely sure).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Thanks Andrew, send it over to me I’ll do it! 

I didn’t know about the tankers, oh well, they’ll do for now. 

Jesse .. the tops of boilers and cladding were very rarely cleaned (and photographed) but they should be filthy with soot/coal/oil carp.  They all look good though!

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, CHARLIE5 said:

Good morning all.

I shared my West Country efforts with Tony yesterday and he suggested I post here!

This is my first full kit effort in twenty years and has taken nearly a year so far. Sorry Tony no completions in 3 to 4 days!

This is a Crownline kit purchased 26 years ago which has been adapted with parts from the late Albert Goodall  and RT Models. Of note is the original cab from a RT Models etching which I have used to produce an early example that ran on the S&D. The tender front has been corrected using Albert's casting for the Airfix kit and has been mounted on a Perseverance chassis modified to include the correct pattern brake gear. I have modelled the early TIA water treatment on the tender although I am not certain I have the connecting pipes correctly modelled.

This is something I have always wanted to attempt in memory of Albert and Shirley Goodall.

Not sure my efforts are up to the excellent standard of modelling here but I am happy to share.

Terry

Woolacombe1 (2).jpeg

Woolacombe2 (2).jpeg

Woolacombe3 (2).jpeg

Superb! A beautiful loco, with a great backstory.

• Agree 1