Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bulwell Hall said:

It certainly is done from a photograph Rich - see Russell, GW Coaches, Part Two, fig 234, pp136.  I always work from photographs wherever possible  and fortunately, in the post war period, the GW 4mm Circle  went to great lengths to record the GWR before it disappeared at nationalisation. The period was a time of flux - which is what makes it so interesting - and there were many variations in carriage liveries and insignia.  Jim Russell was an early member of the Circle and he and Pat Garland started their photographic record of the old company in 1947.  Mike Longridge was a founder member of the Circle - which resulted from a meeting with Pat Garland in 1946 - and he had been recording the GWR in detail before the war.  Some of his earliest photos date back to 1934 I believe.  We have much to thank these gentlemen for.

Gerry

Are there any other books publishing photos by members of the circle?  Sounds a fantastic resource!

will be having another look through Russel later, certainly there is a lot of coach livery variation on the GW  in 47

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Are there any other books publishing photos by members of the circle?  Sounds a fantastic resource!

will be having another look through Russel later, certainly there is a lot of coach livery variation on the GW  in 47

Mike Longridge published many articles in the model press of the time with plans, in the late 1940's/early 50's before his far too early death. Over the years I have picked up some of them, mainly 70 footers and siphons.

I was in the book shop in Alnwick, a couple of years ago and they had a bound copy of one of the model magazines with images and plans of the new Hawksworth's- in GWR livery. Sadly it was too expensive at the time.

I have been to York, a couple of times to look at the entire Maurice Earley collection they have (I know h are others they do not have) which was very useful for liveries and train formations. For those early post war modellers, he had permission to photograph Reading, during the war and the collection shows the changing liveries from wartime to nationalisation.

Mike Wiltshire

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I normally airbrush to paint.

Recent colours include br maroon crimson cream bauxite grey blue. Roof greys

For some reason only blue goes everywhere. Blob on the screen of my phone, my hands look like I have been cosplaying a smurf.

I can do a 1950s carriage hands are clean. Something 70s or 80s blue covered.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

Thank you for your ‘likes’.

Repton was an occasional royal engine, used for to haul the Derby trains for HM. I have modelled it as it might have been a couple of weeks after such a duty, the brass work now tarnished and a light coating of grime.

DC87871B-E83A-4B7A-9AA3-FC38651DA9DE.jpeg.0acf217a294a6fa19db2b6e9a3a743ce.jpeg

F8F3C413-DC38-4A41-BAFC-4053549DD84B.jpeg.9f565975ff4d61d29d70b810074c9c2e.jpeg

My thanks to the 82G team for the location.

Ian R

A lovely model of a lovely locomotive Ian.  It was a treat to see it at Expo EM last weekend.

Gerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I am going to have to learn to weather properly sometime.

Some of the 50s and 60s stuff is shocking,  the new build is easy.

My current weathering is track dirt on chassis and matt varnish. 1980s stuff often clean body but dull.

• Like 1

I've not long returned from a quite splendid day at the Ely Show. May I please thank all the organising team for putting on such a grand event?

May I also thank those with whom I spoke, those who bought models off me, those whose locos I was able to fix (unfortunately not a 1950s O Gauge Lionel American steam-outline loco - the hooter had failed!) and because of that donated most-generously to CRUK, and to those who just donated anyway? I raised over £70.00 for the charity, with more to come from further sales. 

• Like 13

19 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Magnificent ECML trains - what do we have now?

....Azumas.....

Those magnificent engines were of a time and a place, had war not broken out then 1500DC would have covered the ECML, the EM1 and something along the lines of the EM2 would have reigned supreme with pacifics sent to Scotland at best.

The Azumas may not be to everyone's taste, but they are the natural progression of the railways, distributed motors, electric powered and efficient in that they don't need complex turning facilities, don't need dire engine facilities, don't need to be constantly tended to, don't have to be replaced part way through a journey.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Those magnificent engines were of a time and a place, had war not broken out then 1500DC would have covered the ECML, the EM1 and something along the lines of the EM2 would have reigned supreme with pacifics sent to Scotland at best.

The Azumas may not be to everyone's taste, but they are the natural progression of the railways, distributed motors, electric powered and efficient in that they don't need complex turning facilities, don't need dire engine facilities, don't need to be constantly tended to, don't have to be replaced part way through a journey.

All true - but, somehow, 'magnificent' does not spring to mind when encountering an Azuma!

CJI.

• Agree 5

19 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

All true - but, somehow, 'magnificent' does not spring to mind when encountering an Azuma!

CJI.

No, you're right, but the engineers of that time also had an eye on form and function, whereas today it is all about function.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

& passenger comfort??

Comfort is dependent on the ar$e of the sitter.  That’s why when you visit the mattress shop there is so much choice. 

I am sure somewhere out there are people who find Azumas comfortable 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Perhaps, but there are some strange people out there.

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Comfort is dependent on the ar$e of the sitter.  That’s why when you visit the mattress shop there is so much choice. 

Quasimodo?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, woodenhead said:

So what was wrong with the IC225?

As for styling the HSTs were excellent

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Last ECML trip I took (seeing that where I live it is not really an option) was with a diesel loco with 2 18 cylinder triangle shaped lumps in it.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Iain.d said:

Over the last few days, I’ve made some steady progress on an LMS articulated TO+TO pairing. Having made the carriage bodies first, I then did the underframe trussing and floor pan. The trussing etches are beautifully done and went together without issue.

906368275_LMSD1966TOTOArticulated(04).jpg.19477cf3c8eb5117a4d506af0bfb288b.jpg

The design, and fit, of the chassis is different to all except one of the Comet Coaches kits I have put together previously. On those, the solebars fit neatly into holes etched in the floor pan whereas on this variant, the solebars fit onto tabs protruding from the floor pan. This seems to make the floor pan narrower than it needs to be and if you don’t get the chassis to sit ‘inside’ the carriage body at exactly the right height, the protruding tabs can be seen. It’s only a minor point and I’m not sure if it was designed intentionally this way (for a purpose I can’t fathom) or its just the way it was designed.

1463271584_LMSD1966TOTOArticulated(05).jpg.281ea7e0e18948723cf43f7fc2658373.jpg

Put together to check the height relationship between the two carriages. The connecting pieces are just bent/folded up brass tabs but lined up exactly. While ride height between adjacent individual coupled carriages varied, the real character (to me) of articulated stock is that they should be the same height and ‘look as one unit’. The coupling bolt needs trimming – I'll probably substitute something more appropriate.

514247282_LMSD1966TOTOArticulated(06).jpg.16aa6aee649674f9de2c862fe3dece3b.jpg

And with the bogie sides and bolsters fitted and the roofs cut to length and resting in place. The facing ends have bow shaped castings to be attached and next I’ll file the ends of the roof round/curved to try and match the bow, then solder cross beams between the eaves and drill holes in the roof for securing bolts.  Then, I’ll knock up the interiors.

Kind regards,

Iain

Lovely work Iain,

I can't find the prototype shot at the moment, but it shows one of these Stanier artic pairs in a Fylde-Manchester train, with a pronounced 'sag' in the middle.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

with a pronounced 'sag' in the middle.

Good morning Tony,

All us older types all suffer from that Tony!

Lovely looking build. I am back on loco's again building a "bitza" N15 4-6-0. Parts sourced from many kits and leftovers.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Iain.d said:

Over the last few days, I’ve made some steady progress on an LMS articulated TO+TO pairing. Having made the carriage bodies first, I then did the underframe trussing and floor pan. The trussing etches are beautifully done and went together without issue.

906368275_LMSD1966TOTOArticulated(04).jpg.19477cf3c8eb5117a4d506af0bfb288b.jpg

The design, and fit, of the chassis is different to all except one of the Comet Coaches kits I have put together previously. On those, the solebars fit neatly into holes etched in the floor pan whereas on this variant, the solebars fit onto tabs protruding from the floor pan. This seems to make the floor pan narrower than it needs to be and if you don’t get the chassis to sit ‘inside’ the carriage body at exactly the right height, the protruding tabs can be seen. It’s only a minor point and I’m not sure if it was designed intentionally this way (for a purpose I can’t fathom) or its just the way it was designed.

1463271584_LMSD1966TOTOArticulated(05).jpg.281ea7e0e18948723cf43f7fc2658373.jpg

Put together to check the height relationship between the two carriages. The connecting pieces are just bent/folded up brass tabs but lined up exactly. While ride height between adjacent individual coupled carriages varied, the real character (to me) of articulated stock is that they should be the same height and ‘look as one unit’. The coupling bolt needs trimming – I'll probably substitute something more appropriate.

514247282_LMSD1966TOTOArticulated(06).jpg.16aa6aee649674f9de2c862fe3dece3b.jpg

And with the bogie sides and bolsters fitted and the roofs cut to length and resting in place. The facing ends have bow shaped castings to be attached and next I’ll file the ends of the roof round/curved to try and match the bow, then solder cross beams between the eaves and drill holes in the roof for securing bolts.  Then, I’ll knock up the interiors.

Kind regards,

Iain

Iain, a similar set, but with a brake compartment, can be seen on this Railway Roundabout film from 1961-62: https://youtu.be/dHzB-I6A5P0?t=1920 at 32:00 minutes onwards.

Edited by Adam88
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Adam88 said:

Iain, a similar set, but with a brake compartment, can be seen on this Railway Roundabout film from 1961-62: https://youtu.be/dHzB-I6A5P0?t=1920 at 32:00 minutes onwards.

Thanks Adam, that was good to watch - and no sag!

I have identified just three images of LMS articulated stock in my collection of Somerset and Dorset books, two are by RC Riley showing a BTO/TO set in an ECS train at Evercreech Junc in 1959. The third is a TO/TO pair, as the second and third vehicles, in an eight coach train Bournemouth to Bristol service in August 1961 (Gavin Morrison - The Somerset & Dorset Railway 1961-66, p.28) - the inspiration behind wanting to recreate my own set!

Kind regards,

Iain

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Iain.d said:

Kind regards,

Iain

Good timing, Iain - I've been doing exactly that today, after a break of some months for various reasons. I remembered it being shown on this thread.

Originally I tried gluing nuts to the underside, but the glue holds the domed ends very well, but not various types of nut. But this seems to work very well indeed.

Roof.jpg.b8c1fd3fbf6dd021f7f3e2032ed404f1.jpg

Roof1.jpg.6fdaed35c33239b9a136fc11f1d10fc6.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1