Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

Interesting! Thanks for sharing that, though I can see an issue for Bachman as the lights have been changed to feature a modern Tri cluster type - the third light is a LED about cantrail height on the former door cover.

if the r&d team are on the ball they might still be able to take the lights into account as i dont believe the toolroom has started cutting metal yet......

• 2 weeks later...

Last i heard was the r&d was complete and cad drawings were being prepped for the toolroom. It was in i think the Hornby magazine a few months back so itll have moved on a touch since then.....i think the 00 gauge coaches are strangely more advanced than the exact same models in n gauge which i never did follow. Maybe theyve got only one team to work on both scales and they work to specific slots for each scale.

Im hoping to see an engineering sample thus year at Warley.im also weighing up preordering more of them for fear the final rrp will be knocking on the door of about £50 for those with dcc on board/lighting.

• RMweb Premium

I don't mind paying £50 at all for a coach, especially when you see the quality of the Murphy's Models 2's..................they'd just better get them spot on for that money, that's all...........

cheers

Andy

Indeed, but even for that sort of money, I might let them off having the correct seat types and colours to match the coach number, though...

Indeed, but even for that sort of money, I might let them off having the correct seat types and colours to match the coach number, though...

I find that a very charitable pov even if it is only your personal pov. If we're now digging down into the detail versus rrp debate then surely at £50 a coach you should most certainly be getting correct seat layouts/types and interior colours. The only item i wouldnt be so concerned about on a £50 coach are the coach numbers which are probably the easiest thing a modeller can correct themselves. Edited by ThaneofFife

i'm still in the dc age, so i don't want to be paying 50 notes a coach! lol.

personally, as long as they're correct on the outside, colour tones, accurate windows, no orange door interlock lights on the blue ones, livery lines the right height etc then i'll be happy.

just hope they make ALOT of tso's too.

anybody running expresses from the 1970's to today will want at least one rake of them. whether they're behind a deltic, hoover, peak, 47 or even between top and tailed skips.

i can't wait to throw some money at them! 

Edited by johny retro

• RMweb Premium

£50 makes old Airfix 2D EE frames & glazing, resized windows and modified underframe pretty practical

Thats said most of mine are 2D firsts or 2E TSOs with 2D TSOs for my NESW ER set

• RMweb Premium

£50 makes old Airfix 2D EE frames & glazing, resized windows and modified underframe pretty practical

Can't see me chopping £50 coaches and painting them yellow..........

Cheers,

Mick

If the Hornby Mark 2Es turn out to be OK, I might abandon my order for the Bachmann 2Fs, if the Bachmann price is towards £50, as the Hornby ones look like they will be around £25 for the standard range InterCity livery versions and the level of detail is likely to be comparable to the Bachmann types, based on the Mk1 renderings from both firms. Bachmann will need to compete with Hornby on price for the Mk 2s as most buyers, I suspect, won't be too concerned about whether they have 2E or F variants 

• RMweb Premium

It is easy for me

I need a few 2Fs to go with a 86

My 47s and 50s will have

1 NESW set 2D TSOs 2D FKs BG Bar ER

1 2A 2B set WR

1 WR 2D & E set WR

1 2A 2C set MR

Late Mk1 Mk2 WR set

• RMweb Premium

£25 is into buy and use territory compared to the £20 of parts each Airfix 2D requires.

Since 2D and 2E FO BSO look very similar, no issue there

2D TSO - Airfix only

2D Hornby or chop Airfix

Depends on the size of the Hornby door windows

i'm assuming the Hornby mk2e's will be superior to their mk2d's, especially the windows and couplings. 

with fo's and bso's complete with lighting at 29.99 or 24.99 without lighting, Hornby have a massive opportunity to blow bachmanns overpriced efforts right out of the water! and as you say, both types of coach are very similar.

don't miss this chance to corner the 'coffin' market Hornby! 

if Hornby intend selling the lighted version in decent numbers they have to ensure the lighting is up to a good std. ive no concerns about the mk2fs. i dare say Bachmann will follow a similar protocol from their superb blue pullman interiors and ceiling lights.....

i've no doubt the Bachmann ones will look better and have a higher build quality, but a 20 quid price difference adds up if you're buying several. it's not like paying the extra ONCE for say a Bachmann 37 over a Hornby 37.

i wont buy something that looks wrong or toyish. but personally, if the Hornby mk2e's look good then cost will be the decider for me. 

• RMweb Premium

I need 3 or 4 aircon sets a 2D ER, a 2F MR, and two WR mixed rakes.

Bachmann need to beat £30 for a sale otherwise Lima 2F with detailing or chopped around 2D or even new Hornby 2E would be a cheaper option.

As I will have 5 2E TSOs soon 4 are quick converted and paint touched up next will be full works.

I knew coach spotting would pay off!

Would have thought that the best outcome for the hobby as a whole would be that both models are good, both have a look and finish that isn't obviously different from the other one so you don't have to repaint everything, and both look to a reasonable glance to be the right size and shape...

This is one of those moments when i'm glad I stopped modelling British outline though, as the chances of that happening are pretty slim on past performance.

• Like 1

If the Hornby Mark 2Es turn out to be OK, I might abandon my order for the Bachmann 2Fs, if the Bachmann price is towards £50, as the Hornby ones look like they will be around £25 for the standard range InterCity livery versions and the level of detail is likely to be comparable to the Bachmann types, based on the Mk1 renderings from both firms. Bachmann will need to compete with Hornby on price for the Mk 2s as most buyers, I suspect, won't be too concerned about whether they have 2E or F variants 

i've no doubt the Bachmann ones will look better and have a higher build quality, but a 20 quid price difference adds up if you're buying several. it's not like paying the extra ONCE for say a Bachmann 37 over a Hornby 37.

i wont buy something that looks wrong or toyish. but personally, if the Hornby mk2e's look good then cost will be the decider for me. 

As long as you're not planning to run them (Mk2e's) behind class 55 locomotives.

Edited by jonathan452

did deltics not haul mk2e's? 

i know they pulled coffins and all the air con mk2's (d,e and f) were constructed between 1971 and 1975. 6 years before the deltics finished on br.

Not in their British Rail days.

The East Coast pre HST air con coaching stock fleet was Mk2d's and 2f's.

A look through any contemporary coaching stock pocket book will reveal a note to the effect that Mk2e's (also the LMR allocated Mk2d FO's, FK's and BFK's) 'may not be heated by Class 55 locomotives'.

This has been discussed on several other threads.

Things may have changed by the time of the Virgin Summer Saturday Birmingham to Ramsgate service with D9000.

Edited by jonathan452

hey thanks, i didn't know that.

the layout i'm building is going to be a fictitious modern day heritage line, so within reason i can run anything with anything (as long as i don't put a 60 on vacuum only stock or something haha). 

but you're taught me something new so cheers  : )

• RMweb Premium

For the 1970s-1982 Sheffield - St.Pancras runs, is there a Mark 1 RTR buffet car that would fit the bill in the middle of a rake, please ?

TIA

Mainline RBR is the best fit by the look of it