Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold

You never see the end of a bridge span unsupported. It is always over a pier.

post-6902-0-77830600-1461768853_thumb.jpg

When the flydown at St Johns, left of picture, was doubled, a new pier was built, seen here. The existing single track concrete  span and pier  were demolished, and a new girder span installed.

It still looks wrong to me.

Dave

• Like 2

Occasionally in a box of old purchased railway slides there are one or two which are of infrastructure or rolling stock, rather than locomotives.

This one is not the sharpest of them all, but it was taken under the roof of Rugby station in 1965, and I thought someone might be interested in the vehicle, its origins and the whole train.

Presumably, it had something to do with the new blue corporate livery?

post-4474-0-27479000-1461850271_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

If you google M6513 and LMS, you get an entry in the East Lancs Railway stocklist for M6513M, an L&Y BSK, formerly numbered with lots of other numbers including DB975154, which is in turn listed and photographed at departmentals.com (http://www.departmentals.com/departmental/975154) as an "Electrification Exhibition coach" . It still exists!

Edit: the ELR have had it for a long time, as it's listed in my 1981 Peter Hall typed departmental coaching stock book as already belonging to the ELR back then.

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Premium

From a guess it is a tapered end brake vehicle, of L&Y original running on L&Y outside frame bogies (the first thing I clocked (sad isn't it?!)). The next vehicle to the left is also ex L&Y, and the one to the right looks to have GWR bogies....

They all look very smart in blue I must say. Shame that these will probably never run as passenger stock ever again...

Andy G

This is more of a mystery rather than a prototype for everything.

I have only seen a few early photos of the AM10 units (later class 310) in original livery. However, the ones that I can remember seeing had a small yellow panel (syp) located below the cab windows on the inset panels used for attachments such as m.u. hoses and the like.

An example shown here - https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7098/7195875254_9989958acd_b.jpg

However, I have just acquired a rather blurry image of unit no 046 at Rugby station on 19th March 1965. The slide notes say this was a new unit on test, which looks to be a reasonable description given the headcode and some form of temporary buckeye coupling hanging on the front.

I have no idea of the precise date when the first of these units entered service, despite a quick search on Google, but this one has a full width syp.

post-4474-0-76537900-1461934206_thumb.jpg

This was obviously not the only one to receive this full width variation, as can be seen in this photo also taken in March 1965 at Rugby.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwr/rugby/shed/lnwrrm2490.jpg

I have tried to find info on this, but no luck so far. My mystery is, why paint a full width yellow panel on the first unit, plus a few others but then go for a much smaller area panel on most of the class when the whole idea was a visual warning to track workers?

• Like 3

The yellow seems to be a very 'lemony' colour as well.

Beware of making any judgements on colour. The transparency has not stood the test of time well. I could probably have adjusted the colour balance to get the yellow correct, but it might have taken hours and would probably have upset the rest of the image.

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

This is more of a mystery rather than a prototype for everything.

I have only seen a few early photos of the AM10 units (later class 310) in original livery. However, the ones that I can remember seeing had a small yellow panel (syp) located below the cab windows on the inset panels used for attachments such as m.u. hoses and the like.

An example shown here - https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7098/7195875254_9989958acd_b.jpg

However, I have just acquired a rather blurry image of unit no 046 at Rugby station on 19th March 1965. The slide notes say this was a new unit on test, which looks to be a reasonable description given the headcode and some form of temporary buckeye coupling hanging on the front.

I have no idea of the precise date when the first of these units entered service, despite a quick search on Google, but this one has a full width syp.

attachicon.gif310046 rugby 19:3:65.jpg

This was obviously not the only one to receive this full width variation, as can be seen in this photo also taken in March 1965 at Rugby.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwr/rugby/shed/lnwrrm2490.jpg

I have tried to find info on this, but no luck so far. My mystery is, why paint a full width yellow panel on the first unit, plus a few others but then go for a much smaller area panel on most of the class when the whole idea was a visual warning to track workers?

i think that's a normal buckeye, just in blue which may be how they were supplied, ISTR some new blue VEPs having similar?  

Also noticed there are no BR arrows (i think these units got cast arrows on the cabside) and the undeframe and running gear are dark brown (short lived corporate livery spec)

Re: the yellow panels, look at photos of many locos/units at this time and there's an awful lot of variation in what was supposed to be a standard feature - this even continued with FYE with some wrapped right round, some included cabside windows etc.

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium

The paint looks very flat on it,as if so kind of primer.

Would this end have had the yellow first class stripe?

zooming the photo, there's a 1st class stripe at the other end

Formation was BDTS-MBS-TS-DTC

That is the sort of thing which happens when some handy chap has a bit of fun to create interest on the internet.  I bet they spent hours shunting those PCs around!

(A chap i know went to very considerable trouble to make sure that the Regional Eurostar set which went to France for development trials of the revised UK pantograph was in GNER colours rather than Eurostar livery.)

When I was a trainee technician we got sent to various depots to gain traction experience. One of my colleagues got sent to Crewe, where he somehow managed to get involved with the Crewe open day. He was a bit of an extreme rail nut, those of us who thought that we were rail enthusiasts had nothing on him. He made suggestions as to which locos would be good to display. His suggestions may have appeared to be somewhat odd, until afterwards when it was found out that he just invited locos he had not copped yet so he could get their numbers more easily!

• Like 2

Occasionally in a box of old purchased railway slides there are one or two which are of infrastructure or rolling stock, rather than locomotives.

This one is not the sharpest of them all, but it was taken under the roof of Rugby station in 1965, and I thought someone might be interested in the vehicle, its origins and the whole train.

Presumably, it had something to do with the new blue corporate livery?

attachicon.gifScan-160428-0004.jpg

Somewhere I've got a blurry b&w shot of a brand new AL6 with that stock in no.3 bay at Rugby, although I think it's dated 1966 not 65. Will have a root about, see if I can find it.

Somewhere I've got a blurry b&w shot of a brand new AL6 with that stock in no.3 bay at Rugby, although I think it's dated 1966 not 65. Will have a root about, see if I can find it.

I hope the loco has a cast lion and wheel emblem on the body-side, because there are not that many shots of them in those early days.