Bachmann E4

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold
On 07/05/2021 at 16:00, deepfat said:

Hi if you have one of these can you share the service sheet as I have acquired one second-hand without the box etc etc. and I need to fit DCC to it. Being an bit of a duffer I can't figure what to unscrew to take it apart. For extra credit has anyone fitted sound without intruding into the cab

Here's the service sheet for you.

E4.pdf

• Like 1

On 07/05/2021 at 17:00, deepfat said:

Hi if you have one of these can you share the service sheet as I have acquired one second-hand without the box etc etc. and I need to fit DCC to it. Being an bit of a duffer I can't figure what to unscrew to take it apart. For extra credit has anyone fitted sound without intruding into the cab

Yes, I've fitted sound without protruding into the cab. But you basically need to hard wire it as per youchoos here:

https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=BachmannE4

(skip the cab light and glow feature, its more hassle than its worth).

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apologies for re-opening this topic after being dormant for nearly 2 years. 

I have a problem with my E4 32500 regarding the rear pony truck. I've scanned through the 26 pages and cannot find a definitive answer, especially as any picture inserts have been lost. The pony truck keeps derailing on points but this doesn't usually cause the loco to stop or short the DCC system. It almost always re-rails itself on the next set of points. All my trackwork is Peco code 75 with large radius turnouts. No other locos have derailing issues.

Anyone else have/had this problem, and is there any way of somehow tightening up the sloppiness of the wheels?

Edited by RFS

On 11/03/2023 at 21:49, RFS said:

... is there any way of somehow tightening up the sloppiness of the wheels?

I don't know why they've built in so much sideplay when the pony truck ( radial on the real thing ) has plenty of freedom to swing ........ first thing I did when I got mine was to pack as many washers in as I could - PECO fibre or equivalent - that MAY be why I've never had a derailing issue ......................................... it stalls on pointwork, but that's a different matter !

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/03/2023 at 09:45, phil gollin said:

Any chance that Bachmann will re-release these E-4's with new running numbers ?

Nowadays, so many model locos seem to only be released the once, can't a limited re-release with new numbers be commercially viable ?

I'm sure they will but hard to predict when. The first batch did seem to hang around for a while  - I seem to recall they appeared 'on offer'. This may or may not reflect latent demand. Hopefully if and when they do reappear (and with other manufacturers planning over LBSCR releases that may help) new running numbers would surely encourage more sales - seems a no brainer but then Bachmann have form for rereleasing with the same running numbers as already previously issued - Horwich Crabs certainly.