Agenoria WR 1366 Pannier for Pencarrow Bridge

2ManySpams

• RMweb Gold

Dont forget to check what the the crank throw of the wheels are. It could be the cylinders are longer to match the crank throw. Model Wheels are often a compromise. It may be noticeable if the crosshead is travelling a greater distance than the length of the cylinders.

Don 

• RMweb Premium

Dont forget to check what the the crank throw of the wheels are. It could be the cylinders are longer to match the crank throw. Model Wheels are often a compromise. It may be noticeable if the crosshead is travelling a greater distance than the length of the cylinders.

Don

Good point well made, will check this before any surgery on the cylinders. Would be embarrassing to send time making new ones only to find the travel of the piston rod thingy can't be accommodated.

• RMweb Premium

You have really made a big difference to the look of the loco. I am afraid I am in the camp that says replace the cylinders. If nothing else had been done to improve the loco I think they could of been left.

You should also check the relationship of the cylinders, slide bars and motion bracket. Cylinders of the correct size and position may effect these if they were altered to suit the kit.

Another good point. The motion bracket, which I amended two years ago is in about the right position. Not 100% sure about the shape. The slide bars are just wrong. The cylinder as I have it looks to be about the right angle, just the wrong size and shape.

Comparing Rice's drawing with photos, I'm in two minds as to whether they are a tad under diameter on his plan. They look meatier in pictures. Might experiment with tube first...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Chris

1369 is apparently at the Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway this summer (Oxfordshire). Is that close enough to your location to make a trip and measure up the cylinders on the real thing?

John

96.7miles, I might send them a begging note.

Guest Isambarduk

"... they are a tad under diameter on his plan. They look meatier in pictures"

That is certainly my impression, I think that cylinders larger in diameter (and shorter) will look a lot more like.  It doesn't take much to make a huge difference in their appearance.

David

• RMweb Gold

Chris

1369 is apparently at the Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway this summer (Oxfordshire). Is that close enough to your location to make a trip and measure up the cylinders on the real thing?

John

1369 is currently back on the SDR and in traffic according to their website.  I can't find anything to indicate that it will be going back to Chinnor this year.

If Chris needs some outside dimensions for the cylinders I know a man who might be able to help thanks to Swindon standardisation ;) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

1369 is currently back on the SDR and in traffic according to their website.  I can't find anything to indicate that it will be going back to Chinnor this year.

If Chris needs some outside dimensions for the cylinders I know a man who might be able to help thanks to Swindon standardisation ;) 

Yes please Mike.

Are they the same as the 1361?

• RMweb Gold

Yes please Mike.

Are they the same as the 1361?

Ah, you've sussed my source.  The internal dimensions are the same so I'm firmly betting that the outside ones will be too as the cylinders look the same - currently unclad but basically just some bits of tin to wrap round them so I'll try my contact to get the measurements checked.  Unfortunately the original 1361 drawing i obtained might be in China so I'll not try that route.

As seen below on RMweb Members' day at Didcot GWS

post-6859-0-08329200-1472054432_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Ah, you've sussed my source.  The internal dimensions are the same so I'm firmly betting that the outside ones will be too as the cylinders look the same - currently unclad but basically just some bits of tin to wrap round them so I'll try my contact to get the measurements checked.  Unfortunately the original 1361 drawing i obtained might be in China so I'll not try that route.

As seen below on RMweb Members' day at Didcot GWS

attachicon.gifDSCF9371.jpg

Don't count those rivets Chris....

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Yes that makes sense John.

Going to need some fabrication in that case. The sandbox castings are not the right size or shape. Ditto the tank supports. I've not had a good look at the injector castings yet but fear the worst based on experience so far.

Putting this lot off, I've gone for filling in all the slots in the footplate.

• RMweb Gold

Yes that makes sense John.

Going to need some fabrication in that case. The sandbox castings are not the right size or shape. Ditto the tank supports. I've not had a good look at the injector castings yet but fear the worst based on experience so far.

Putting this lot off, I've gone for filling in all the slots in the footplate.

Watch the injector overflows and make sure you have correct period photos of the chosen engine as Swindon seemed to be forwever setting out to cause confusion for later generations of modellers with the number of permutations of the overflow arrangement.  All very odd after the simplicity of the 1361s.

• RMweb Premium

Watch the injector overflows and make sure you have correct period photos of the chosen engine as Swindon seemed to be forwever setting out to cause confusion for later generations of modellers with the number of permutations of the overflow arrangement.  All very odd after the simplicity of the 1361s.

I've long abandoned the destructions Mike. I'm working purely from photos and the Rice drawings now. I'm assuming the overflows are the big pipes that come out of the middle bottom of the injectors and head for the steps?

• RMweb Gold

I've long abandoned the destructions Mike. I'm working purely from photos and the Rice drawings now. I'm assuming the overflows are the big pipes that come out of the middle bottom of the injectors and head for the steps?

Correct Chris - but they seemed to go in all sorts of directions over the years and on different engines - hence the need for a photo of whichever one you're going to take the number from.  Regrettably I dumped my list of 1366 reference pics/links when Heljan announced theirs (having done quite a lot of detail research for 'someone else' on the class).

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Talk about making a silk purse from a sow's ear...

That is remarkable, Chris. I didn't know it was possible to make a model (rather than an approximation to one) of the prototype from that kit!

Not sure about the silk purse, there will still be plenty wrong with it but I'm hoping the end result will be more representative at least.

• RMweb Premium

Correct Chris - but they seemed to go in all sorts of directions over the years and on different engines - hence the need for a photo of whichever one you're going to take the number from.  Regrettably I dumped my list of 1366 reference pics/links when Heljan announced theirs (having done quite a lot of detail research for 'someone else' on the class).

The pipes on 1368 went through the footplate rather than round it like 1367/9.

Thankfully i've lots of clear reference photos to look at for that part.

Thought i could get away with using the tank support castings as is but, having fitted one, i'm not happy with it... should know better by now.