Agenoria WR 1366 Pannier for Pencarrow Bridge

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Intrigued by this method of compensation.  My own (admittedly, very limited) experience with 0-6-0 chassis has been with one fixed (driven) axle and the other two rocking on a single centrally mounted compensation beam "Flexichas" style.  If I'm following correctly this method means you don't have a fixed axle and the "three legged stool" effect is gained by allowing the front axle to move independently of the other two.  I guess in terms of how it behaves on the track that puts it somewhere between the Flexichas style compensation and a sprung or CSB chassis?

• RMweb Premium

Intrigued by this method of compensation. My own (admittedly, very limited) experience with 0-6-0 chassis has been with one fixed (driven) axle and the other two rocking on a single centrally mounted compensation beam "Flexichas" style. If I'm following correctly this method means you don't have a fixed axle and the "three legged stool" effect is gained by allowing the front axle to move independently of the other two. I guess in terms of how it behaves on the track that puts it somewhere between the Flexichas style compensation and a sprung or CSB chassis?

It's the method recommended for an 0-6-0 by those P4 chaps in that long technical paper you sent me a while back.

• RMweb Premium

It's the method recommended for an 0-6-0 by those P4 chaps in that long technical paper you sent me a while back.

I need to dig that out and have another look before I build my next one.  I'm not questioning whether (or even how well) it works, just trying to get my head around the concept.

• RMweb Premium

I need to dig that out and have another look before I build my next one.  I'm not questioning whether (or even how well) it works, just trying to get my head around the concept.

Three legged stool.

Pivot on the front axle is one leg, each of the compensation beam pivots is another leg.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe the idea is to minimise the movement of the loco with a fixed axle the loco will follow every dip and bump of the fixed axle giving a sideways rocking motion. The arrangement Chris is proposing allows all the axles to rock slightly so the loco will be following an average of the two axles with the rocking arms. I have a feeling such arms on full size were called equalising beams but in that case acted on the springs.

Don  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Progress has stalled of late, although Telford provided all the parts required to complete the kit (hopefully), work has been somewhat demanding of late. That also means I've ignored domestic chores and the lawns and so there's much catching up to be done on all fronts.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst waiting for my connecting train at Euston I've realised there's a couple of photos I've not posted.

First we have a comparison of the Agenoria castings for the smokebox handles, crosshead pump and whistles with the replacement parts I got at Telford. All the various pipes and valves on the Agenoria crosshead are buried within the casting feed. You can't tell from the photo how bent and misshapen the original is. The original smokebox handles looked too short against photos and the whistles ate again buried in flash due to the mould halves not aligning. All the replacements are a big improvement in casting quality and prototype fidelity IMO.

post-6675-0-52396600-1473407762_thumb.jpg

Second we have a comparison of the vacuum and steam heat pipes. The originals aren't too bad but the replacements are more detailed.

post-6675-0-52916000-1473407861_thumb.jpg

Edit due to photos not loading in tunnels.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today I have been mostly making stuff, deciding it's not good enough and then doing it again.

The sandboxes have taken a while to get right.

post-6675-0-98252800-1474134866_thumb.jpg

Left is the starting box, center the box with the extra bits on, and right the original Agenoria casting.

And placed on the footplate.

post-6675-0-38232600-1474134976.jpg

Springs need to come off and be raised higher. The sandbox linkage needs to go under the front pair. One step forward and two back...

• Like 4

Today I have been mostly making stuff, deciding it's not good enough and then doing it again.

The sandboxes have taken a while to get right.

attachicon.giftmp_9592-rps20160917_185032-1298560820.jpg

Left is the starting box, center the box with the extra bits on, and right the original Agenoria casting.

And placed on the footplate.

attachicon.giftmp_9592-rps20160917_1850521368435899.jpg

Springs need to come off and be raised higher. The sandbox linkage needs to go under the front pair. One step forward and two back...

Very nice work there Chris. Unfortunately with poorer kits it is often one step forward and if you are lucky only two back. You will get to a point when you realize there is nothing left to do. Once running on the layout you will forget the strife. But it does make   look at other kits more closely, and add things not supplied.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice work there Chris. Unfortunately with poorer kits it is often one step forward and if you are lucky only two back. You will get to a point when you realize there is nothing left to do. Once running on the layout you will forget the strife. But it does make   look at other kits more closely, and add things not supplied.

This kit has been a hard won lesson all round. \it will probably end up costing twice the original price but in hindsight, although not the best kit to start with, it has by necessity been a fantastic learning experience. It should also make me fully appreciate a really good kit and has made me understand the relative quality of castings from different sources.

• RMweb Gold

Not so sure about small step, you've not heard the language coming from Spam Towers whilst making up these parts.

You would be swearing about your c*ckups not someone else's though. There is the question of the time required but  certainly I think with the skills you have acquired it might well be quicker to just get on with making parts rather than trying to work out if things could be adapted . Personally I feel those kits which have a good reputation will save time and be a pleasure to build. But where there is no kit of a suitable standard nyou will probably find a scratch build very rewarding.

Don

• Like 1