Dapol Class 22

DLPG

Just remember the D is for Dapol,not Diesel.And D1 was a Pug,not a Peak.

In one of the earlier Railscene videos there was a segment on Bristol docks (I think it was Bristol, anyway). They had 0-6-0T steam shunters and some diesel shunters - they had very prominent 'S' for steam or 'D' for diesel notations painted on! If the people dealing with the prototypes cannot tell the difference, what hope do we poor modellers have?? :devil:

Oh you little tease!

He is, isn't he?!! :lol:

• RMweb Premium
snapback.pngroyaloak, on 16 December 2011 - 06:36 , said:

Oh you little tease!

He is, isn't he?!! :lol:

It's no secret. It's a Class :telephone:

Dave? Yes Dave? YES Dave. Sorry Dave.

Just in the nick of time there - I feel someone wanted to convey a message rather urgently!!! :hunter:

Well I finally got round to testing my Dapol Class 22 this morning. This had been postponed due to a family illness.

It was a very short test, as the locomotive is a "dud", and shows no sign of moving under DC current, either on my test track, or in a cradle.

Quite disappointing after the long wait, but it will be going back to the well known retailer in the South West from which it came, as it appears I am not entirely alone in possessing a "dud".

The fates are conspiring against me it seems :no:

Edited for omission

Edited by cary hill

Well I finally got round to testing my Dapol Class 22 this morning. This had been postponed due to a family illness.

It was a very short test, as the locomotive is a "dud", and shows no sign of moving under DC current, either on my test track, or in a cradle.

Quite disappointing after the long wait, but it will be going back to the well known retailer in the South West from which it came, as it appears I am not entirely alone in possessing a "dud".

The fates are conspiring against me it seems :no:

Edited for omission

No whip the lid of for a quick peekaboo to see if summats just unplugged?

• RMweb Premium

class 22 here has part of its front valance missing.

http://www.railwayhe...hp?image=215900

Nice picture thanks, but isn't that the Laira scrap line....? Whilst it's certainly true many ran in service with various valences missing, I do wonder if the buffer surround was removed after withdrawal.

Edited by brushman47544

Hi,

Well before the model gets tainted by ,shall I say, 'unsubstantiated' comments about dud locomotives, I think yours is only one of 2 I know about.

Just working the math on this and that's 2 out of 500, so less than half of 1% which in anyone's books ( he says touching wood and crossing fingers) isn't bad.

However this doesn't mean that you cannot be dissapointed ( I was recently having spent £300+ on 2 fleischmann loco's only to have both as duffers!)

If Chris has a spare then great, however if not, I will replace the chassis for you once the next batch of green arrive in a couple of weeks.

Please PM me and let me know if Chris can help, and if not a replacement chassis is your for the asking.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

1000a is now in stock at Hattons--at £125. Nowhere else showing as yet. Signal Box and Model Railways Direct are advertising same at £22/23 less. Curious.

I spoke to and ordered 1000a from Signal Box yesterday having previously ordered 1000f but missed out due to insufficient numbers to fulfil the orders.

The guy I spoke to had no knowledge when they would be in stock.

1000f was still showing available for pre-order on their site as far as I could tell and I did mention this!

... Bristol docks ... shunters - they had very prominent 'S' for steam or 'D' for diesel notations painted on! If the people dealing with the prototypes cannot tell the difference, what hope do we poor modellers have?? :devil:

I'd guess that was more for control staff and those dealing with the records, as those that could see what was in front of their eyes.

• RMweb Gold

I spoke to and ordered 1000a from Signal Box yesterday having previously ordered 1000f but missed out due to insufficient numbers to fulfil the orders.

The guy I spoke to had no knowledge when they would be in stock.

1000f was still showing available for pre-order on their site as far as I could tell and I did mention this!

Now in stock-as of midday today. I've also put in an order as a result of an exchange of e-mails.earlier today.

Hi,

Well before the model gets tainted by ,shall I say, 'unsubstantiated' comments about dud locomotives, I think yours is only one of 2 I know about.

Just working the math on this and that's 2 out of 500, so less than half of 1% which in anyone's books ( he says touching wood and crossing fingers) isn't bad.

However this doesn't mean that you cannot be dissapointed ( I was recently having spent £300+ on 2 fleischmann loco's only to have both as duffers!)

If Chris has a spare then great, however if not, I will replace the chassis for you once the next batch of green arrive in a couple of weeks.

Please PM me and let me know if Chris can help, and if not a replacement chassis is your for the asking.

Cheers

Dave

As a relative newbie to model railways after a gap of 20 years I can say I'm more than pleased with the craftmanship of the Class 22 and it has persuaded me that I will invest in more from this manufacturer.

As for 'duds' - perhaps I could add that I have had 4 duds from one manufacturer in the past 2 months - a Hall, Jubilee, Peak & Class 47. Three of the four have been or will be returned. The Hall I can maybe live with.

Possibly just an unlucky streak, but if the Westerns, D600s & D6100s are as good as the 22s then that's where I will be putting my hard earned cash in future!

And a big thumbs up to Dave for customer service as well.

Regards

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Excellent links there D605! Nice shots of Bristol's D6313 and proof that D6333's yellow painted front ends went up past the windows.

;)

As you say Nidge some cracking footage. But beware the sound track. That 08 2 mins in to the second clip sounds like a 14 to me! Notes are of Paxman rather than EE music I suspect....

Kind regards

Phil

My D1000f ran quite well on initial tests and I got both cab lights working individually when I fitted a TCS EU621 decoder. However, I was still getting occasional low speed stallling and quite a bit of light flicker in site of cleaning the track and the wheels thoroughly. It also developed a curious squeal (rather like check rail squeal) when going over facing points in one direction. Meter tests suggested that current was only being picked up by one wheelset on each bogie. This afternoon I took the bogie frames off for more detailed tests and I found two instances where the springy phosohor bronze strip was not making contact with the brass axle bush. In one case it was bent and twisted to the extent that is was nowhere near the brass bush, and in the other there was a bit of black plastic stuck on it at the just the spot to hold it off the brass bush. The spring strip is held on the bogie by melting the plastic and this wasn't done with sufficient care during manufacture. I removed the offending wheelsets and dealt with the issues and made sure that contact was being made after refitting the wheelsets. Although the gears were all well lubricated, I applied some Peco Power Lube to the all the contacts, checked for continuity with the meter and then reassembled the bogie frames. The loco now runs very well indeed without a trace of flicker from the lights and the strange squeal has also disappeared - I have no idea what the cause of that might have been but it does suggest an assembly issue of some kind. The low speed performance is particularly good on DCC. At the slowest possible speed, it took 14 minutes to travel the length of one of my platforms which is 2.74m long, while pulling 7 clay wagons and a brake van. This works out at about 0.6 mph which is very impressive. The only other annoying thing (which is my fault of course) is that one of the steps (or whatever they are) just under the buffers fell out (or more likely I knocked it out) but I didn't notice at the time and of course has now disappeared without trace!

I suspect this isn't the only model with this kind of pickup issue and I think Dapol should take it up with the Chinese manufacturers. It would be a shame if what's otherwise a fantastic model gets a reputation for poor running when just a little bit more care in manufacture would prevent this fault. I've got another one coming from Kernow (D6320) in a few weeks and I'll test the pickups on that as soon as it's out of the box and if there are any faulty ones I'll ask for a replacement loco.

Apart from that gripe, I'm very pleased with the loco and looking forward to more diesel hydraulics from Dapol.

Keith

As you say Nidge some cracking footage. But beware the sound track. That 08 2 mins in to the second clip sounds like a 14 to me! Notes are of Paxman rather than EE music I suspect....

Kind regards

Phil

I bow to your superior lugholes Phil, since at the moment I don't have any sound on my pc! Like the old modelling mojo, it tends to come and go... ;)

I was all set to start repainting mine today into one of the blue / small yellow panels pair that this particular bodyshell allows, but alas I couldn't bring myself to do it. I've already removed the numbers so it'll probably become D6326 in 'Old Oak filth 1967' mode. Fab gear, what :sungum: