Dapol Class 22

DLPG

Hi guys,

I concur with Andy,

A BR Blue version should be here next week, and then at least 1 green and a blue one in 3 weeks time.

As you can imagine, flying them in is VERY expensive, so apart from the BR blue one that will come by air, the rest are by sea. (fully converted to 21 pin by the way).

Now this time of year production space is at a premium, as is container space, as Dapol, along with other model railway companies do not 'fill' a container but ship usually to Hong Kong, where the models take up a part of a container for onward shipping.

This usually means via the Middle East and Rotterdam or sometimes Hamburg.

sometimes the container will remain unopened and continue its journey when the ship does, however it has been known (more often than not recently) that a container will be offloaded for unpacking of the relevant items that form part of the containers shipment, to then be repacked and onward shipped on the same.......ship.

Oh, and dont get me started on customs and docks that shut due to high winds etc.

cheers

Dave

D605Eagle - morning, the grilles were painted body colour when the locos were new but soon attracted the dirt, I'm guessing this is why Dapol have painted them black. The filters behind them soon clogged up I'd imagine.

;)

I've yet to find a decent colour picture of a clean green one with black grills as of yet....

• RMweb Premium

Looks to me like some sort of machinery (possibly something agricultural?) and it isn't sheeted as bagged clay should have been.

In any case I would have thought it odd to send china clay from Cornwall to Bristol by sea to then tranship it to a railway wagon (unless I am very much mistaken the signalbox trying to hide behind the loco is Avon Crescent - which closed 05 Septr 1965 - on the branch which from Ashton Gate to Canon's Marsh Goods which ran along the north side of the Floating Harbour and involved several bridges including a double deck swingbridge over the Avon and two bridges, one of which was a swing bridge, over the locks between the Floating Harbour and Cumberland Basin). The train is running towards Ashton Gate, and away from the wharves on that side of the Floating Harbour.

Edited to add comment about the direction in which the train is heading.

My mistake - I commented on the wrong photo...http://www.flickr.com/photos/40263244@N04/5722573252/in/set-72157626725226012/ Doh!

Ok, here's an idea!

If someone supplies me with a spec for the wheels you want, how about I approach my Chinese factory and ask them for a price / feasibility?

No promises mind, but it might just be a profile 11 spoke option for the fine scalers!

Let me know what you think

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

As I believe they say in the movies - "you have mail..."

The Scalefour Society Committee has already been discussing this, and are keen to support a P4 variant if this is a realistic prospect.

Thanks, on behalf of all of us, for considering the possibility, and for the flexibility of attitude. We hope that this may be the first of many opportunities to move finescale closer toward RTR.

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

Ah but you will find plenty of pictures of the class with dirty grilles though. :-)

Granted the 'wash' in the grills is a little thickly applied but it's not black

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for that Dave, like I said I haven't got one as yet, I've only been able to go by the pictures of the models.

A word of warning if anyone intends to remove the glazing, they've used that special Chinese glue.

As I wanted to do a bit of work and weathering on a couple, I tried to remove the glazing and although some popped out reasonably easy, the others were very difficult and have either broken or have hairline cracks in the glazing. So for the next one I decided to mask the windows off to weather the loco, but the thinners in the wash I applied, has crazed the glazing much in the same way as Heljan's do.

So for me not a very productive weekend, a shame as the glazing is quite nicely done, just that pesky glue again.

So if anyone intends to do similar, just be very careful :nono:

Meanwhile I have two D63xx's with no glazing, Marsh Junction circa 71 anyone :scratchhead: :(

I think the only option for you is to make your own windows to fit. A fiddly task for sure, but what else can you do... what did you use to mask the with?

I saw the 'dirty' one at Warley and (dont know if this has been mentioned before in this thread?) the only 'error' was new style modern OHLW notices on the nose ends (post 1980's). Transfers can simply cure that. The loco was just amazing.... mine is on order from Kernow and cant wait to hold one ;-)

Now if Dapol produce it on 'O' gauge.... where do I go from here :scratchhead: OHHH NOOOOOOOOOO........

• Like 1

I think the only option for you is to make your own windows to fit. A fiddly task for sure, but what else can you do... what did you use to mask the with?

You could try something like Crystal Clear for replacement glazing. I used this on my N gauge D600 and I was very pleased with the result, it gave a very flush finish. It gats harder as the size of the aperature increases though so I don't kno if 00 would be beyond it.

Hi everyone,

I have asked China to quote me for the P4 wheel sets for the class 22, and they have come back to me with a tooling and unit price.

The unit price would be for 8 wheels on axles of £19.95 per set.

However to allow Dapol to break even on the deal we need to cover our tooling costs, and this would mean selling 350 sets. (This covers tooling and the unit costs of the 350 sets)

Now, not knowing of the demand for these wheels, we can only judge by how many names come forward so i'm hoping. (fingers crossed emoticon).

cheers

Dave

• Like 3

Dapol Dave, will these P4 wheel sets be suitable for any other future releases, just an idea so current P4 scale 22 owners MAY want some more for other models in the future, that would help you spread the risk.

Edited by royaloak