Dapol Class 22

DLPG

Hi - Thanks for your comments - Ive been working on a smal Western Region layout that was meant to be run as BR steam Era (I just have a coupe of Panniers for it ) but Ive popped the 22 on there tonight and I think it looks just at home - apologies for a very very rushed photo though !

post-6893-0-59232200-1326318203.jpg

TFN

Jon

• Like 14

Hi D605,

We have produced 500 x 6 running numbers (2 in blue and 4 in green) as a preliminary introduction.

Basically trade support for these was so bad that we had to hedge our bets (thats not to say the bad trade support was unfounded as it was our first 'Dapol' loco since the pendolino, so worries were fully justified), and once we sent review samples out and the model started to appear in the magazines trade support was still quite poor.

Then, probably due to modellers apprehension regarding the models quality etc, (again quite right if you ask me to be honest), suddenly we were deluged with orders and sold out almost overnight.

However, as we had already ordered the 6 x 500 models and they had been made we could not alter those plans.

For future runs we will push the manufactured amount up a bit to hopefully cover all bases, but as you can imagine we dont want to be left holding lots of dead stock once the saturation point for the split box version has been reached so it's a delicate balance.

I know this doesnt help you,but it might explain the situation. Persevere as stockists wont necessarily have sold out as yet.

cheers

Dave

• Like 7

That's quite an insight Dave.

once we sent review samples out and the model started to appear in the magazines trade support was still quite poor.

I know it's come good as an end result for you but it surprises me that the trade don't keep a closer eye on the ball with what was happening here and in the mags on the back of the Sentinel and Beattie. What is evident is that stock has sold quickly at or around the RRP which is a good sign.

I just did a quick check with a large stockist and they are showing stock.

Hi Andy,

lol, i could write a book on the subject, warts and all......maybe after i retire eh?

One largish stockist has previously told me he 'doesnt have time to read press releases from manufacturers and wont read the web forums to keep abreast because he see's no need for it'!!!

Heck some of the stockists wont even send their order forms back to us either.

Whilst i fully acknowledge there are some terrific stockists out there, my favourite phrase of the moment still must be.......... 'you can lead a horse to water.......'

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All I can say Dave is that based on what has currently been produced in OO some stockists will have to pull their socks up or miss out big time with your plans for 2012 - in OO and O. The 22 does not fit into my plans so won't be buying one, but I can tell a belter when I see it :)

• Like 1

suddenly we were deluged with orders and sold out almost overnight.

Whilst I sympathise with modellers who are struggling to find one of these locos, I am at least glad from Dapol's point of view that it has sold so well. As their first RTR 00 loco for some years (excluding commissions) it could have gone one way or the other.

Hopefully these sales bode well for future runs and also for it appearing in N gauge. Dave, is there a timescale yet for the N gauge version?

• RMweb Gold

One largish stockist has previously told me he 'doesnt have time to read press releases from manufacturers and wont read the web forums to keep abreast because he see's no need for it'!!!

Heck some of the stockists wont even send their order forms back to us either.

Whilst i fully acknowledge there are some terrific stockists out there, my favourite phrase of the moment still must be.......... 'you can lead a horse to water.......'

In the era of the box-shifter, the entrepreneurial dealer like Kernow, and Internet purchasing in general, these people must have some nice margins to live on. But if they can't be bothered to read the writing on the Internet wall, are we going to weep when the C21 catches up with them and they fall off their perch?

• RMweb Gold

In the era of the box-shifter, the entrepreneurial dealer like Kernow, and Internet purchasing in general, these people must have some nice margins to live on. But if they can't be bothered to read the writing on the Internet wall, are we going to weep when the C21 catches up with them and they fall off their perch?

In some respects we probably won't but if it rebounds on the manufacturer then perhaps we do need to be a bit more concerned? However if the result is that the business goes to those retailers who keep themselves in the loop of knowledge and stock can be cleared that way then we should applaud because that sort of retailer is likely to be the one who can meet our less run-of-the-mill needs and it would be nice to see them cleaning up at the expense of those who can't be bothered.

• Like 1

We have produced 500 x 6 running numbers (2 in blue and 4 in green) as a preliminary introduction.

Dave,

I know that it's probably been gone over innumerable times, but at what point are we likely to see overall green (no yellow panel models) available?

I had a pre-order with Kernow that I had to cancel at the last minute, when it was discovered that the recently-released version could not prototypically be produced without the yellow panel.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

I don't understand some retailers. I had an order in for a 22 from a major retailer before Christmas only to be told that they had not yet been released. Informed sources told me that the company in question had only ordered two from Dapol which had already been delivered. Why not order sufficient stock to cover your existing orders?

I bought one elsewhere.

Geoff Endacott

Hi chaps,

Just a quick note with the usual stockists caviats applying,

D1000D D1000E have arrived here and will start leaving here for stockists late today or tomorrow morning.

They are both Green SYY and are D6319 and D6313 respectively.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hang on a minute! Are those production numbers right Dave? The place I ordered a CL22 from has D1000C as D6320. If they have it wrong, no wonder I haven't got one. I really wanted D6320, as it was the only (unofficial) named one

Jim

Edited by D605Eagle

Hi Jim,

looks like i need to go and learn my alphabet again.

sorry, twas D + E as 6320 has been out a goodly amount of time now.

Have modified my posting to reflect the D+E models.

My fault. :prankster: :rolleyes:

cheers

Dave

Thanks again Dave..you had me worried for a minute! Hopefully the shop will pull their socks up and actually send me D6320!