Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

I've ordered one of these little beauties, as H Class powered push-pull sets, and well-worn C Class 0-6-0s on such freight as there was on the New Romney branch which ran near my home are early childhood memories. My mate Neil lived in one of the little level crossing houses on the line, so I got to see them close up too!    Now, in these memories, the coach portion was in BR red rather than green, but for the purposes of my half way built Southern based layout Tillingham, that's fine.  What I'm wondering is, does anyone with an interest in the Eastern section of the old BR Southern know if any auto trains ever ran with just the driving coach behind the loco, or were they all in pairs? The reason I ask is, before the announcement of the H Class plus coaches pack, which I duly ordered, I had already put the platform in place, and I now realise it's going to be a tad too short for the whole set...  Sadly there is no more room for expansion, so I'm wondering if I can get away with the loco and a single driving unit coach. 

• Like 1

I've ordered one of these little beauties, as H Class powered push-pull sets, and well-worn C Class 0-6-0s on such freight as there was on the New Romney branch which ran near my home are early childhood memories. My mate Neil lived in one of the little level crossing houses on the line, so I got to see them close up too!    Now, in these memories, the coach portion was in BR red rather than green, but for the purposes of my half way built Southern based layout Tillingham, that's fine.  What I'm wondering is, does anyone with an interest in the Eastern section of the old BR Southern know if any auto trains ever ran with just the driving coach behind the loco, or were they all in pairs? The reason I ask is, before the announcement of the H Class plus coaches pack, which I duly ordered, I had already put the platform in place, and I now realise it's going to be a tad too short for the whole set...  Sadly there is no more room for expansion, so I'm wondering if I can get away with the loco and a single driving unit coach. 

Rule Number One : in your ( almost ) parallel universe a single car was always used .................... though in the big world it was very unusual on the Southern and I don't recall any instances with the Maunsell sets ( I think they retained inner-end buffers so that wouldn't have precluded it.).

Rule number one always applies for me.  I know it is not quite what you want, but this little video shows an M7 and single coach between Petworth and Petersfield and is wonderfully atmospheric!

http://screenarchive.brighton.ac.uk/detail/3712/      ...   from around 9 min 45 secs

Edited by 90rob

Depends what you mean by SECR push-pull set !!?! ......... don't forget no H class got P/P gear until B.R.days when most SECR origin P/P sets were rebult from 60' birdcage or post-birdcage stock : the former might ( PLEASE ! ) appears from another Company at some time in the not too distant future, of course.

.......... now pursuing that line of thought !  -  I wouldn't expect Hornby to risk entering the SECR carriage market with 60' non-birdcage trio sets until the birdcage had proved how popular they're giong to be  ........ BUT they had an angle-trussed chassis very similar to the later Maunsell corridor stock and 58' LSWR rebuilds ( so much of the tooling's been done ) AND had the same chassis as the so-called 'Hundred Seat Thirds'. THOSE are probably as unlikely to appear from the trade as we all thought the 58' rebuilds were not very many years ago ! ........... but if they DID appear - sometime - they'd be perfect for strengthening all those Maunsell P/P sets Hornby have sold, wouldn't they ??!?

There was only one set. Set number 660. Set number 661 had a 50 foot composite. Can't see anyone tooling up for a one off coach that had a limited lifespan and range. Maybe a Dynamometer Car, but not a branch line train.

http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/115/4c34-60ft-ex-secr-push-pull-driving-coach/

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/secr_co_01.html

Jason

There was only one set. Set number 660. Set number 661 had a 50 foot composite. Can't see anyone tooling up for a one off coach that had a limited lifespan and range. Maybe a Dynamometer Car, but not a branch line train.

http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/115/4c34-60ft-ex-secr-push-pull-driving-coach/

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/secr_co_01.html

Jason

But then set 660 was probably seen in more different places and probably did more ( pottering up & down various branches ) miles than any dynamometer can known to man !!?! ........... and the bulk of the tooling HAS already been done, of course .........

• 3 weeks later...

The recent addition of Hornby Magazine (out in shops tomorrow) says that they are now in production at the factories!

Indeed I had a look but was a tiny article nearly missed it, page 9, but yes shows the SECR ones in build and assembly, would be nice if it was a bit bigger, and also would like to so the printing process on the livery, would be interesting to see.

Are there any dates for the release of these models, I am particularly interested in the BR liveried one (R3539)?

I have had a look on the Hornby website and forum and couldn't find anything about expected dates.

According Hornby's website they are stated for November 2017, but I doubt if they get this date.

On Hattons project update page renewed on the 15th this month, they are not even in production, but according 

Hornby magazine the SECR livery went into production.

Hattons delivery date's as mentioned SECR between Oct/ Dec

SR      between Jan/ Feb

R 3539    BR      between Jan/ Feb

So even when all the liveries are produced on the moment it will take at least two months before they are here by ship,

unless Hornby are flying them in.

But as before , release dates are postponed to later date, so this can happen again

hope this will help 

Edited by Cor-onGRT4

Guest spet0114

Yes, I see they've gone again. I only looked last night to see if the date had been altered and was surprised that it was showing available.

It's worth giving places like Rails of Sheffield a ring.  I rang them on another matter about a week ago, I happened to mention the H in SECR livery and was told that another customer had cancelled their pre-order and one was available. Needless to say I nabbed it!  None of this ever registered on their website.

Cheers

Adrian

It's worth giving places like Rails of Sheffield a ring. I rang them on another matter about a week ago, I happened to mention the H in SECR livery and was told that another customer had cancelled their pre-order and one was available. Needless to say I nabbed it! None of this ever registered on their website.

Cheers

Adrian

I live across the pond though, and I already tried Rails, no more pre-orders available for the SE&CR one.