Oxford Rail announce OO gauge 6-wheeled GWR Toad Brake Van

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

I see it's in pre 1904 livery, except for the white painted handrails, that are some futuristic idea. If Didcot can't get it right, there's no hope for Oxford!!

I'm not exactly sure if that was simply a sort of 'holding situation' to conserve the fabric of what was there rather than any sort of attempt towards a proper restoration to museum standard?  Wagons generally (and perhaps not surprisingly?) seem to lie a long way down the GWS's list of restoration priorities and resources and they nowadays seem to be paying  a lot more attention to getting things to properly reflect the condition of a vehicle at a particular time in its life.

• Like 1

For those members who are going to modify the "window" back to a door Wills sheet SSMP220 Tongue & Groove boarding is a close match to the planking on the van. 

Or use the door from a scrap Airfix. That took all of 12 minutes to sort, less time than it takes to read all the comments on here. £13.00 BARGAIN!

post-9992-0-25710800-1511286492_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 17

You you need to lower the side windows by one plank too, and add a glazing bar ;).

I do not think I will bother. The last thing I am looking for when it is running in a train is a glazing bar, if I am looking at the brake van at all.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 6

I do not think I will bother. The last thing I am looking for when it is running in a train is a glazing bar, if I am looking at the brake van at all.

Mike Wiltshire

Oh go on. I want to see how someone does it before my AA3s arrive ;).

You you need to lower the side windows by one plank too, and add a glazing bar ;).

From the Chasewater picture it looks like the top of the window needs to be raised by half a plank and the bottom lowered by half a plank. So, is the planking on the Oxford model too wide or has the Chasewater van had its ends re-timbered with narrower planks? The Chasewater van has windows 4 planks high and those on the Oxford are already 5 planks high and would end up 6 planks high if altered. Maybe it would be simpler to scratch build! (CJL)

Even though these vans are advertised as different types, at the end of the day if you want one for your particular era it is going to need modifying anyway.

Is it not?

Given all the changes that have happened to them, much like a loco. It would be best to get a pic and model are particular van!

Khris

• RMweb Gold

The entire cabin of the Chasewater AA3 has been completely rebuilt, with narrower planks. The only original things on it are probably the solebar and bits of the running gear. It's a minor miracle Oxford didn't discover it.

If they had they might have got it right as they only seem to make an approximation towards what is available.

Even though these vans are advertised as different types, at the end of the day if you want one for your particular era it is going to need modifying anyway.

Is it not?

Given all the changes that have happened to them, much like a loco. It would be best to get a pic and model are particular van!

Khris

You are bringing logic into it now Khris.   :whistle:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is it not?

Khris

A period photo not one of a van at a Heritage site.

Is it not?

Khris

If the ends were modelled as built, there wouldn't be a problem, as it would be more straightforward to adapt them to changes over the years. Oxford producing a fantasy version is the problem, unless you're modelling the GWR in a parallel universe!

Don't forget that the current version is only suitable for the first decade or two of the life of the AA1s, because of the fully planked sides.

Finished reworking of the AA1

Centre hangers changed , verandah sanding gear changed, rear "bungalow window" removed and hatch cover put in and rear windows with a glazing bar added.

Repainted dark grey and 25" GW lettering replacing incorrect 16"

Semi silk purse out of a sows ear?

post-16907-0-86998100-1511472727_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-19099800-1511472783_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-99617900-1511472831_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-40453800-1511472885_thumb.jpg

Edited by lofty1966
  • Like 11