Oxford Rail announce OO gauge 6-wheeled GWR Toad Brake Van

MGR Hooper!

It looks a lot better, the colour alone makes the world of difference. 

When the post war version comes out (along with the 2 axle version) both will certainly be going through the works and getting a full repaint.  

I'll be doing exactly the same as yourself as previous experience with has shown with Oxford's LNER Cattle wagons, giving them a repaint and lettering improves the look a lot.

On a separate note, I don't think things are going to be all smooth sailing at the Oxford stand at Warley this weekend...

I'll be doing exactly the same as yourself as previous experience with has shown with Oxford's LNER Cattle wagons, giving them a repaint and lettering improves the look a lot.

On a separate note, I don't think things are going to be all smooth sailing at the Oxford stand at Warley this weekend...

They definitely need a kick in the pants with regard to R&D.

So much detail is put in but whats the point if they're glaringly wrong in basic stuff ?

• RMweb Gold

Didcot's 56400, which is clearly Oxford's misguided single reference, has had all sorts of mods on it and has been rebuilt at least once since preservation.

Just thank your lucky stars we don't have a TV aeriel on the detailed underframe...

GWR_wagon_AA3_TOAD_56400.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Erm didn't you just say in post 181 that Didcot have one - complete with lots of preservation / departmental modifications that Oxford have faithfully coppied

This is the 6-wheel AA1 thread. There are a couple of 4-wheel AA3s in preservation. Oxford did not faithfully copy Didcot's 56400.

What may have happened, given the presence of the superfluous window, is Oxford copied the Didcot AA3, then in CAD cut and paste an extra set of wheels/axleboxes to the middle to produce their version of an AA1, without any reference to actual diagram drawings or historic photos. That could also explain the J hanger booboo.

• RMweb Premium

Saw the GW version on Oxford's stand at Warley, then asked the guy when the BR version was to be released, he said January.

I'm interested in the OR76TOA003 plated van labelled as "Bordesley Junction", how long did they remain in revenue-earning service on BR?

Got my GW version today, and am delighted.  But there is one problem, and that is with the NEM coupler pockets, which are too short.  As a consequence my Kadee replacements change length when direction is reversed. I can fix this but it is very frustrating.  A bit like when Bachmann had cranked NEM couplers and insisted that NEM was only for H0. I remember the dismissive comments from Bachmann's marketing well.   . 

I'm curious as to how the 6 wheeled underframe works.  Thinking back, I can't recall a previous 6 wheeled RTR model being any good beneath the solebars.

I can forgive the odd discrepancy in a model if the basics are right.  I think making adjustments to a RTR model is part of the fun.

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Gold

I used to have a small rake of Lima milk tanks that ran fine on level track, and have never had a tender that had any problems.  So long as some vertical play is available to the centre axle and it has sufficient side play to cope with your sharpest curve, it should run the same as a 4-wheeler, but the Limas were improved by extra ballast IIRC; it was a long time ago and I have slept since then...

Unless of course 'any good beneath the solebars' is some sort of dreadful euphemism!

• Like 2

I think it also depends on the length of the wagon/chassis.

We all remember the problems with the Stove R project,

and best not to remember the Hornby sausage and fish

vans!

Actually I was.  :scratchhead:  I solved the problems with the Dapol Stove R by chucking it and doing the Comet kit.

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Gold

best not to remember the Hornby sausage and fish vans!

Too late for the warning, I found my old Palethorpes van in a box the other night... Spent a few minutes waggling the middle wheels around, then put it back and continued looking for what I was actually after.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Too late for the warning, I found my old Palethorpes van in a box the other night... Spent a few minutes waggling the middle wheels around, then put it back and continued looking for what I was actually after.

I have one of these, which I must get around to fitting:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y7HNL25Y2/00-gwr-sausage-van-chassis?optionId=59043520

I rebuilt my Hornby Palethorpes and InsulMilk with scratch underframes.  The bodies are fairly accurate for LMS despite being 4mm short.  The GWR body isn't right of course.  I've seen a cut and shut of the Palethorpes using the Chivers 6 wheel Fish van chassis - wish I'd thought of that.

Wish I'd seen that GWR chassis before doing mine, hard work to do the J hangers as I recall.

John

Edited by brossard

Just got mine - I think it's quite nice and, dare I say it, a 'cute' piece of rolling stock, especially when posed next to its bigger AA15 cousin from Hornby. 

Will take a cocktail stick and t-cut to mine and rebrand to small post-1936 GW decals. Might change the allocation of Swindon, but might not. 

Take the points up-thread about inaccuracies but I will admit to being a little bit uncaring with wagon details - it looks the part! 

7.5/10 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just got mine - I think it's quite nice and, dare I say it, a 'cute' piece of rolling stock, especially when posed next to its bigger AA15 cousin from Hornby. 

Will take a cocktail stick and t-cut to mine and rebrand to small post-1936 GW decals. Might change the allocation of Swindon, but might not. 

Take the points up-thread about inaccuracies but I will admit to being a little bit uncaring with wagon details - it looks the part! 

7.5/10 

CoY

How did you get one, I have one on order with Hatton's, Just checked there site and still saying pre-order?.

• RMweb Gold

Lord and Butler in Cardiff (I visited yesterday) have good numbers of both 4 and 6 wheelers, but only in 'early' GW livery with no bottom handrail.  Peter reckons BR liveried versions will be on hand in January, which seems to tally with what Ox are saying.  I am in the market for these or late, small initiialled, GW versions, and this goes for the Hornby AA15 as well.  At the price, it is difficult to leave them in the shop; Bachman have mineral wagons that cost more, but I have been good, helped by the handrail issue which means that a van for my early 1950s railway cannot be provided as easily as new transfers and branding!

Lord and Butler in Cardiff (I visited yesterday) have good numbers of both 4 and 6 wheelers, but only in 'early' GW livery with no bottom handrail.  Peter reckons BR liveried versions will be on hand in January, which seems to tally with what Ox are saying.  I am in the market for these or late, small initiialled, GW versions, and this goes for the Hornby AA15 as well.  At the price, it is difficult to leave them in the shop; Bachman have mineral wagons that cost more, but I have been good, helped by the handrail issue which means that a van for my early 1950s railway cannot be provided as easily as new transfers and branding!