Oxford Rail announce OO gauge 6-wheeled GWR Toad Brake Van

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

My one turned up in the post this morning it's exactly the same as the photo in post 102, at 12.5 quid it come's with separate hand rails and the back to backs are spot on it should be a fun item,

but I'm sure it will give the rivet counters, wing nuts and assorted moaner something to whinge about.  ;)

• Like 4

My one turned up in the post this morning it's exactly the same as the photo in post 102, at 12.5 quid it come's with separate hand rails and the back to backs are spot on it should be a fun item,

but I'm sure it will give the rivet counters, wing nuts and assorted moaner something to whinge about.  ;)

Is it the same light shade of grey?

Not whinging, just wondering if my 4-wheelers will need a coat of paint :).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is it the same light shade of grey?

Not whinging, just wondering if my 4-wheelers will need a coat of paint :).

Yep it's a bit on the light side, there,s a wagon at Didcot nearly the same shade after a discussion with the staff there they said it was a good match for a newly painted wagon.

It seems like you're the one who's moaning

What a totally pointless post it didn't take long for someone to start your post has been reported I don't put up with your type of nonsense.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps I should have reported your post as well.

"but I'm sure it will give the rivet counters, wing nuts and assorted moaner something to whinge about."

Anyone who comes on here & points out inaccuracies in a model is immediately branded a moaner or rivet counter or something else.

If you don't like the prototype information that is posted then by all means ignore it.

I've go no issue with anyone giving an opinion but not the sort of posting you have done in the past and it's any old excuse to fire off with you, how sad.

I've go no issue with anyone giving an opinion but not the sort of posting you have done in the past and it's any old excuse to fire off with you, how sad.

"but I'm sure it will give the rivet counters, wing nuts and assorted moaner something to whinge about."

Your the person who posted the above, not me so please don't be surprised if someone fires off at you.

Sorry but you can't have it both ways.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now, children, play nicely or it'll be bed with no supper...

My view is that it's a nice little model with a lot of character that looks enough like a 6 wheeled toad for my purposes; I run a Hornby 2721 and cannot claim any standards in terms of fine scale modelling, though the 2721 is much improved from the condition it left Hornby in.  I will have one when one appears in a suitable livery for my period; it's a good model for the money, and the separate handrails put it a class above Bachmann's offering.

• Like 1

Now, children, play nicely or it'll be bed with no supper...

My view is that it's a nice little model with a lot of character that looks enough like a 6 wheeled toad for my purposes; I run a Hornby 2721 and cannot claim any standards in terms of fine scale modelling, though the 2721 is much improved from the condition it left Hornby in.  I will have one when one appears in a suitable livery for my period; it's a good model for the money, and the separate handrails put it a class above Bachmann's offering.

But  Daddy. He hit me first  :onthequiet:

It does look like a nice model & good value for the money.

It has flaws but I'm sure most modellers won't notice them & the majority won't care anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But  Daddy. He hit me first  :onthequiet:

It does look like a nice model & good value for the money.

It has flaws but I'm sure most modellers won't notice them & the majority won't care anyway.

Grow up.

• RMweb Premium

Three shades of grey, so far.

post-6821-0-36448400-1511023131_thumb.jpg

On the left is a kit painted with Phoenix paint, and a bit of weathering making it even darker.

Just the toads, Hornby and Oxford (bought today).

post-6821-0-88426900-1511023144_thumb.jpg

edit : axle length = 26.7mm, diameter = 2mm .

Edited by Nile

The Oxford one looks a lot darker in the first photo, than it does in the second, but the Hornby looks about the same in both! Is it my wonky eyes, your wonky photos, or does it vary a lot from different angles? :scratchhead:

As an expert in such things, is the Oxford lettering easy to remove? Those GWs need replacing with 25" ones, or the lot replaced with small lettering or cast plates, for my 4-wheelers when they arrive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The light was closer to the Oxford Toad in the second photo, making it look lighter. I can post more comparisons if you want. Meanwhile getting inside it is relatively easy. I haven't tried it but I understand that the Hornby one isn't.

• Like 1

The light was closer to the Oxford Toad in the second photo, making it look lighter. I can post more comparisons if you want. Meanwhile getting inside it is relatively easy. I haven't tried it but I understand that the Hornby one isn't.

That's OK thanks. It seemed darker than I imagined it was.

A photo of underneath would be handy though. I'm curious to see what needs to be done to convert one of mine to broad gauge.

Thanks Neil. It looks as though I can just cut the chassis longways down the middle, and stick a bit in to increase the width. The good thing is that the buffers are on the body, that won't need altering, so will remain at the right spacing. The rest will just be cosmetic, apart from compensation or springing as it will be to P4 standards.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear. It just gets worse and worse.

Is it the pull rods Miss Prism? Why do they face towards the axle? Is that right? (Sorry this might be a silly question!

Edited by Neal Ball