Oxford Rail announce OO gauge 6-wheeled GWR Toad Brake Van

MGR Hooper!

25" G W would be more suitable for their planked version. (Sheeting began c 1915?)

1915 is way off in the future, in a time when Rule 1 is liberally applied to my modelling, and I'm not bothered about little inaccuracies, so I don't know when sheeting started. But my immediate reaction to 16" lettering on the fully planked version was that it's probably wrong.

The only reason I'm interested in this model is because of the planked version. I'm part way through violent butchery of Mainline and Tri-ang brake vans to produce one, and it's a messy job, with a not necessarily brilliant outcome. I was expecting to have to renumber the Oxford one when I remove the centre wheels, but not a full repaint.

Proposed liveries of the Toads are now on Oxford's page. The early livery is now the pre-1936 livery...

Well, for me, I'd be interested in small pre-1904 lettering (planked), 25" (planked), 16" (sheeted) and nothing thereafter.

So they've missed every livery/tool combination for me!

Law of S0d!

So, out will come the Presfix!

Well, for me, I'd be interested in small pre-1904 lettering (planked), 25" (planked), 16" (sheeted) and nothing thereafter.

So they've missed every livery/tool combination for me!

Law of S0d!

So, out will come the Presfix!

Given your robust comments on the Dean Goods threads, anyone might think it personal!!! ;)

Given your robust comments on the Dean Goods threads, anyone might think it personal!!! ;)

Now, now, just trying to be helpful!

After all, as Edmund Burke never said "the only thing necessary for the triumph of inaccuracy is for good modellers to say nothing"

I am still hoping we get a usable Dean Goods out of Oxford.  I am also quite hopeful with regards to this Toad.

Now, now, just trying to be helpful!

After all, as Edmund Burke never said "the only thing necessary for the triumph of inaccuracy is for good modellers to say nothing"

I am still hoping we get a usable Dean Goods out of Oxford.  I am also quite hopeful with regards to this Toad.

Hopefully clear my tongue was firmly in cheek! The problem this interwebby thing is sometimes bald text can be misread

Didn't realise Edmund Burke was a modeller. My only (hazy) recollections of Burke seem to involve port but that's probably not for here...

Hopefully clear my tongue was firmly in cheek! The problem this interwebby thing is sometimes bald text can be misread

Didn't realise Edmund Burke was a modeller. My only (hazy) recollections of Burke seem to involve port but that's probably not for here...

Perfectly clear (though not everyone's is on that subject!)

Frankly, I really hope that the Toad is free of major faults ... I need a break!

Edited by Edwardian

Did any of these get into Devon? as I believe that they were mainly used on South Wales to London coal trains.

I believe some of them might have been branded Rogerstone, so could have run on the daily loco coal service to Devon & Cornwall.

That will be my excuse, anyway!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Did any of these get into Devon? as I believe that they were mainly used on South Wales to London coal trains.

Just lifting from the list on the GW site they were at various times allocated to the following places -

Aberdare, Aberystwyth, Acton, Bordesley Jcn, Bristol East Depot, Bristol West Depot, Carmarthen Jcn, Neath, Newport Maesglas, Oxley, Pontypool Road, Rogerstone, Salisbury, Saltney Jcn, Severn Tunnel Jcn, Stoke Gifford, and Swindon.  Almost all these allocations cover the period 1934 - 44 only.  One of course finished up at Bridport post-war.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting choice! When were the last of these withdrawn? I look forward to a nice Aberdare to go with it in due course!

'GWR Goods Wagons' says some survived into the 1950s but there don't seem to be any allocations published on the 'net for that decade which leads me to suspect they started to be withdrawn in the '40s (but note I do say 'suspect').

One was photographed on the Halesowen Branch on what appears to be an Engineers train on Sunday 4th September 1955 

http://www.photobydjnorton.com/RailwayPictures/58143AppHunningtonViaductKM.jpg

Any advances on that date?

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I was looking more at the mid 20s.

I would think it was likely to be broadly similar - by then the weight advantage of the 6-wheelers was matched by later designs so any specific work was no doubt becoming less likely.  However Aberdare seems to have had quite a large allocation which was probably little altered from earlier days although Pontypool Road and Maesglas only had one each showing as 1934-44 so they might have previously had more.

There is a picture of an AA2 in Atkins et al Vol 2 showing no sheeting but with 16" livery. The picture is dated 1922. This establishes the possibility of the livery / unsheeted combo.

Point accepted, but a more telling issue is perhaps the lack of the full lower handrail style, and I think the AA1s would have been brought into line with the rest of the normal (i.e. 'non-ballast, non-PW') fleet by that time. This handrail standardisation is thought to have been completed by c 1911.

In favour of the post-1920 liveries is that Oxford has chosen single-pane verandah windows (in the 'raised position', first seen in 1920 on the later batches of AA15s).

The middle axle springs should be on J-hangars, and not on swing links as currently depicted.

Edited by Miss Prism

• 1 month later...

They must have read my comments about chopping off the centre wheels :). 6 wheeler order cancelled, and 4 wheeler pre-ordered. If it's any good, I think I have a use for three, including one to convert to broad gauge. Not sure what to do with my chopped up bits of Airfix and Hornby ones though, as it seems a bit pointless spending any time on it, when the Oxford one just needs re-lettering (maybe along with a repaint), and re-gauging.

• 4 months later...

And where are the updates on progress? The engineering prototype? Decorated samples? It was billed for release in the 2nd quarter (unless they were thinking of 2117), so where is it? Is Oxford Rail joining the disappointingly long list of manufacturers who promise much but rarely deliver and never deliver on time? Will there soon be bleats blaming contractors?

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I do wonder abut the livery (Lettering) detail on the Bordesley Jcn one - and I hope they've got a photo to prove it was actually like that.

Any thoughts Mike.

post-126-0-02343900-1502483522_thumb.jpg

For a moment I thought they'd given it cross cornered DC brakes, it was just the optical illusion of the spring hanger and brake show combining to make the vee! Looks OK overall, handrail a bit thick suggesting it's moulded plastic, but does appear separate so scope for replacing with brass or whatever preferred thin wire.