Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

You're right there!

On recent observations I've heard (or rather not heard!) one with the driving trailer making no (air-con?) noise, and when it was a warmer day a 2x5 train making a different "fan-type" noise. Was this the air con working harder, or, as the train had been on diesel power for the previous 40 miles, power pack cooling working harder?

Passenger sounds?

"Eeeh Mildred, these seats are a bit 'ard !"

"Aye, but yuh can stretch y'legs out nicely"

"When's trolly cummin' round. I'm parched".

I hadn't thought of those, you guys wait until they install a bitchin betty in the cab (those you know a bit about aircraft cockpits will know what I mean!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Finally had a chance to have a look at my modified IEP after being away for a couple of weeks.  The bogies on the centre coaches have all received a thin clear plastic washer and a bit of lubricant.  I've not seen a pic of the mod on here yet so here you go:-

attachicon.gifIEP Bogie.jpg

I'm not sure if there has been some light filing of the clip as well or if that is just wear and tear.

The troublesome 812004 coach is now click free and stays on the rails. I've given all the centre coaches a push test across my Hornby radius 3 S-shape as before and they all perform well. Subjected the coaches to a gradient and they didn't derail.  I have yet to try them out as a full coupled up 5 coach unit but I am hopeful that I will encounter no problems.

How thick (or should it be how thin) are those washers? Is this the sort of thing we could do ourselves?

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for posting. What this shows, is most interesting! It appears that the wheel axels are supported by an inside frame, rather than onto the bogie frame. This could possibly delight the one poster who keeps on banging on with the same question about making a 9-car set. As it appears the tooling allows for both outer and inner bogie frames onto the model bogie frame.

The wheels are supported by an inside frame but the top part and bogie side are a one piece moulding so it would have to be a new bogie tooling rather than the factory just not attaching the bogie sides and glueing on the yaw damper in its place.

How thick (or should it be how thin) are those washers? Is this the sort of thing we could do ourselves?

Unfortunately I don't have anything to accurately measure the washer but by eye it looks to be around 0.5mm or less (probably less).  I've not dismantled the coach to see of they have done anything to the area where the bogie clips in but the mod certainly looks like something that could be done at home.

• Like 1

The wheels are supported by an inside frame but the top part and bogie side are a one piece moulding so it would have to be a new bogie tooling rather than the factory just not attaching the bogie sides and glueing on the yaw damper in its place.

Hmm, where did I say “glue”? I recommend you go research how a modern tooling suite for a model works. The “core” shall permit the model’s bogie “chassis” which supports the axels. You then have different “slides” for the bogie frames. Whether in or out, it would seem from that photo, Hornby can shake it all about....

• Like 1

I guess we won’t be seeing a VTEC class 800 now.

With the return of the LNER, perhaps these will get Teak livery ?

Virgin was going to be DfT base coat grey with red vinyls. (Long went the idea of a special Virgin livery). LNER is going to be DfT base coat grey with red vinyls. Hmm, I suspect a significant consultancy fee. You’ll never guess the interior theme!!

• RMweb Gold

Virgin was going to be DfT base coat grey with red vinyls. (Long went the idea of a special Virgin livery). LNER is going to be DfT base coat grey with red vinyls. Hmm, I suspect a significant consultancy fee. You’ll never guess the interior theme!!

Everything changes but ultimately stays the same ?

Would quite expensive refitting that unused Virgin interior

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/news/new-announcement/

• RMweb Gold

That interior is dreadful. The old LNER did much better than that with Tourist carriages, never mind the Silver Jubilee and the Coronation. I guess it’s a bit better than a bouncy Pacer on a bad day, but not by much. Are we not able to design interiors with style and panache anymore?

Regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

That interior is dreadful. The old LNER did much better than that with Tourist carriages, never mind the Silver Jubilee and the Coronation. I guess it’s a bit better than a bouncy Pacer on a bad day, but not by much. Are we not able to design interiors with style and panache anymore?

They may not be the most stylish ever, but I find the GWR IETs pleasant enough inside (pretty much the same as that photo, but green and grey instead of red).

Of course GWR have the advantage that their Mk 3 interiors are somewhat unpleasant so improving on them isn't hard. 

• RMweb Premium

I thought the GWR IET interior was really pleasant - simple, and smart. We have to accept that the days of 1950s Mk1 plush are gone - they wouldn't stand up to today's travellers. (CJL)

No...on the other hand it could still probably look a bit more inviting and still be robust enough and meet safety standards.

(Road) coaches and even some of the posher buses manage it.

But I'm personally very happy with the IETs and very much prefer the interiors to the cramped-feeling Pendolinos and GWR Mk 3s (the latter having very generous legroom but still feel somewhat cramped to me given they are stuffed with very high backed airline seats)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

With the modifications Hornby issued and put in place for anyone with the earlier release class 800 models, does anyone know if the new releases such as the Hornby R3691 Paddington Bear Class 800 due later this year will have these modifications already applied during manufacturer? 

Hi,

With the modifications Hornby issued and put in place for anyone with the earlier release class 800 models, does anyone know if the new releases such as the Hornby R3691 Paddington Bear Class 800 due later this year will have these modifications already applied during manufacturer? 

I think it's safe to say Hornby will obviously release models either with re-tooled/modified bogies. They'd be stupid if they just released it again with the same issues.

• RMweb Premium

Are we not able to design interiors with style and panache anymore?

Regards,

Rob.

Of course we can - provided the people doing the specifying do not work for the DfT, who with the 800s have not only managed to procure the most expensive train ever, but also finished the interiors in the most boring way possible.

• RMweb Gold

Here are few photos of 800304 taken this morning.

Power car bogie

attachicon.gif007.JPG

Power car underframe equipment boxes

attachicon.gif006.JPG

Trailer bogie (as shown in more detail above)

attachicon.gif004.JPG

Trailer car underframe equipment boxes

attachicon.gif005.JPG

I see a throwback of the old BR western lessons learned survives.. those yellow underframe box handles distinctly remind me of the Talisman clips of a class 52. Edited by adb968008

i dont know if its been mentioned in the past, I cant see it anywhere, but regarding liveries and the forthcoming release of the paddington bear version,  the in service units have the waistline silver stripe lower down the body, just on the part where the body curves inwards. The first version, although in the correct place for that model, the Hornby paddington bear has carried it over, which is incorrect from the prototype. I let the Hornby FB page know (with images) and they said they would pass it to the design dept. I would guess its probably to late for the next release though.

Found this on Flickr, sounds if 800/802 sound is on the way.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/legomanbiffo/41315826685/

legomanbiffo: With protective covers still on the carpets and seats, the brand new Hitachi 802004 bi-modal unit is pictured during an audio recording session at North Pole depot. Many thanks are due to the staff at Hitachi for facilitating things.

• 3 weeks later...

Passenger sounds?

"Eeeh Mildred, these seats are a bit 'ard !"

"Aye, but yuh can stretch y'legs out nicely"

"When's trolly cummin' round. I'm parched".

You have missed a couple which are very frequent in my experience

"Will the train manager contact the driver please, train manager contact the driver"

"We apologise about the late departure of this service this is due to a fault with the doors"

"We apologise for the over crowding and lack of seat reservations on this service this is due to this train being a 5 car rather than 10 car train"

• Like 2

Sounds odd having the sound out the driving cars when on the prototype it's the non driving cars with engines. The leading vehicle is virtually silent externally when leaving a station

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1

Two YouTube videos from Legomanbiffo

Wow sounds awesome! (Minus the horns as mentioned above - though surely you dont have to plan a horn on departure?). I think I shall be getting this for 800010, even through the recording is from a class 802. I do not see how it would make much of a difference at a scale such as this. 

Wow sounds awesome! (Minus the horns as mentioned above - though surely you dont have to plan a horn on departure?). I think I shall be getting this for 800010, even through the recording is from a class 802. I do not see how it would make much of a difference at a scale such as this. 

There is no difference in the noise from an 800 or 802, well nothing worth bothering about anyway.