Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Lets's dance along with the Class 800?  :jester: 

Interesting. 

So a sort of official recognition that there is an issue with the class 800s....

(And credit to Hornby for sorting this out and indeed retaining the ability to do so despite having outsourced so much).

The review in the latest Railway Modeller mentions problems on S-curves and finishes with something along the lines that investigations are continuing.

All very nice but it does not show it climbing any inclines....

Keith

I should just clarify my earlier post in that I don't have any inclines - just a flat layout that apparently isn't as flat as a snooker table.  All other locos and tolling stock run perfectly fine in all directions.

First class response and action plan from Hornby this morning to get my IET problem resolved, including personal ownership of the problem by Simon Kohler and Mark Lodge. It’s on its way back :)

Unfortunately it’s come back with the problem not fixed, I can see the cause of the electrical fault just as it was when it was sent back - disappointed

:(

Interesting. 

So a sort of official recognition that there is an issue with the class 800s....

(And credit to Hornby for sorting this out and indeed retaining the ability to do so despite having outsourced so much).

The review in the latest Railway Modeller mentions problems on S-curves and finishes with something along the lines that investigations are continuing

My interests are c.1950 but I have been taken by the class 800s and the (new GWR). I was sorely tempted to add one to my roster to run on Dr. Who days. Fortunately I have been short of cash lately and avaoided a bad mistake.

• RMweb Gold

When mine came back the coaches had been sorted but there was still a problem with the dummy driving trailer. My initial thought was to send it back again for rectification but after thinking about it (and having seen how smoothly my Cl.395 runs on my track) I decided that there was no way that the Cl.800 could mimic the performance of the Cl.395 so It was sent back to Hornby who have since refunded the original they charged to my credit card.

Somehow, to me, the Cl.800 model looks fragile when compared with the Cl.395. I'd still like a model of the Cl.800 though......

Keith

• RMweb Premium

When mine came back the coaches had been sorted but there was still a problem with the dummy driving trailer. My initial thought was to send it back again for rectification but after thinking about it (and having seen how smoothly my Cl.395 runs on my track) I decided that there was no way that the Cl.800 could mimic the performance of the Cl.395 so It was sent back to Hornby who have since refunded the original they charged to my credit card.

Somehow, to me, the Cl.800 model looks fragile when compared with the Cl.395. I'd still like a model of the Cl.800 though......

Keith

I’d leave it until they sort the problems . 800s are going to be with us for a long time . Plenty of time with hopefully more variants available . If they don’t sort the problems they need to make it abundantly clear that the model is only suitable for billiard table layouts (mine isn’t!). There would be nothing more frustrating than a train that can’t do a circuit of normally laid track, and I’d venture to suggest that in very few cases will this be billiard table flat . Meanwhile my VTEC 225 happily runs round my layout both pulling and pushing. Looks like she’s got a few years service yet

Not a bad review in Model Rail Magazine, actually, the most accurate I have read. Very pleased both the door colour error and first class branding background colour error were noted by the reviewer. Certainly celebrates the 800 model as a stunning model and no doubt future batches shall keep us all pleased. 

I do not use this Fakebook thing, but you can still view most companies pages without having a profile. On Hornby's, there are a few people also requesting the three additional coaches for the test train pack. Seems Hornby is being asked at all angles! 

Not a bad review in Model Rail Magazine, actually, the most accurate I have read. Very pleased both the door colour error and first class branding background colour error were noted by the reviewer. Certainly celebrates the 800 model as a stunning model and no doubt future batches shall keep us all pleased. 

I do not use this Fakebook thing, but you can still view most companies pages without having a profile. On Hornby's, there are a few people also requesting the three additional coaches for the test train pack. Seems Hornby is being asked at all angles! 

Thank you for your kind comment. I didn't refer to the livery issues as 'errors' as I don't consider them to be. Like so many models in the past, that have been based on something brand new, the real thing gets changed after the model company has been supplied with the drawings. Hornby's model reflects the unit they modelled at the time that it was first seen by the public. The fact that the units currently in service have different coloured doors and new-style labelling is just a hazard of producing a new model at exactly the same time as its prototype. I seem to recall there were similar issues with the APT and with certain models of Concorde years ago, but perhaps the biggest of all was the Hornby-Dublo 'Deltic' in standard BR livery. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

Thank you for your kind comment. I didn't refer to the livery issues as 'errors' as I don't consider them to be. Like so many models in the past, that have been based on something brand new, the real thing gets changed after the model company has been supplied with the drawings. Hornby's model reflects the unit they modelled at the time that it was first seen by the public. The fact that the units currently in service have different coloured doors and new-style labelling is just a hazard of producing a new model at exactly the same time as its prototype. I seem to recall there were similar issues with the APT and with certain models of Concorde years ago, but perhaps the biggest of all was the Hornby-Dublo 'Deltic' in standard BR livery. (CJL)

The Dapol 68 drs was an error with the livery application, now all sorted with new batches. I hope the next batch of 800's will feature the correct colour doors, first class logo, CCTV door cameras ( i think thats what they are ) by the destination displays are black (not grey, but nothing a touch of paint cant sort out) and also the application of coach seating lables by the doors....little niggles, but that said, its a start that can be improved on, i will certainly get one when it does

The Dapol 68 drs was an error with the livery application, now all sorted with new batches. I hope the next batch of 800's will feature the correct colour doors, first class logo, CCTV door cameras ( i think thats what they are ) by the destination displays are black (not grey, but nothing a touch of paint cant sort out) and also the application of coach seating lables by the doors....little niggles, but that said, its a start that can be improved on, i will certainly get one when it does

Dapol 68? I was referring to the Hornby Class 800. (CJL)

Dapol 68? I was referring to the Hornby Class 800. (CJL)

I think he was saying that the errors on the first batch of DRS 68's, were subsequently corrected on the second batch and was hoping the same would occur with the Hornby 800's.

• RMweb Gold

Keith

As mentioned above my unit was returned for a refund which was credited in full to my card account within a day or so of being received by Hornby.

As it was me who decided to send the unit back for a refund I thought that it would only be right that I would pay the return postage (£13.14 as the package was just over 2kgs) but, much to my surprise, today I received a cheque from Hornby today for the above amount.

Many thanks Hornby.

Keith

• Like 1

There's 3 people on YouTube who own the set and have had no issues at all with it. Mines just come back from Hornby turned around within a week and no clearance problems with the boggies now. Just need a layout to do more testing on now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's 3 people on YouTube who own the set and have had no issues at all with it. Mines just come back from Hornby turned around within a week and no clearance problems with the boggies now. Just need a layout to do more testing on now.

Thank you very much for letting me know. I appreciate it. 

It's good to hear that some people are not experiencing any issues. I'm glad that your set has been repaired. I'm just deciding weather to take a chance buying a £400 or so set or whether to wait for 003 to be delivered. I'm tempted to wait even though I did want a GWR 800 now, just because the amount of people experiencing problems seems to significantly outweigh those not experiencing any problems. 

I just really hope that Hornby rectify these issues when they produce 003 and hopefully further models. 

• RMweb Gold

Just out of interest has anyone bought a 800004 set and had no problems at all with the set, including no running and derailing issues? 

Thank you in advance. 

Yes I have one and straight out of the box no problems.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Find a shop with a layout and ask them to test it first!

Seems like a wise precaution to me before buying. Only trouble is finding a model shop is difficult , finding one with an oval test track I suspect even less likely. Still they should be alert to the problems with this model , so if they can , they should test run it

• RMweb Premium

Frizinghall Models has an oval test track, I don't know anywhere else off hand

(Maybe this could be a separate topic in its own right - which model shops have oval test tracks)

Edited by gc4946

Thank you very much for letting me know. I appreciate it. 

It's good to hear that some people are not experiencing any issues. I'm glad that your set has been repaired. I'm just deciding weather to take a chance buying a £400 or so set or whether to wait for 003 to be delivered. I'm tempted to wait even though I did want a GWR 800 now, just because the amount of people experiencing problems seems to significantly outweigh those not experiencing any problems. 

I just really hope that Hornby rectify these issues when they produce 003 and hopefully further models.

You can get one for £295 from Colletts Models.

I'd say problem will be looked Into for the forth coming releases this year for the coach pack. Hornby would be mad not to adjust the clearance so all the coaches are fine and not just a majority. I guess it's just buying this pack now is cheaper then buying the coaches and driving trailers separate when they come out. Is there going to be any difference in the driving trailers and coaches other then the numbers and names on each?