Make your BMRA 2018 award nominations here.

Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

• Please log in to reply
855 replies to this topic

#851 keybuk

keybuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 26 October 2018 - 16:40

Why are you buying from Hattons? Go explore the amazing selection of smaller local model shops, the ones who really shall appreciate your business and reward you with free next day postage. Their all online, even Hornby encourages this on their social media. 

I can't answer for the original poster, but I can answer why Hattons gets my business - they've earned it.

They reply to e-mails.

I've never had to chase an order from them for over a year.

I've never missed a pre-order because they "forgot about it, sorry, we're out of stock now, would you like a Class 37 instead?"

I've never had them send me the wrong model, and then been "well, it's yours now, we can't take it back, if you want to buy the one you really wanted, we can charge your card again"

And in the cases have gone wrong, including things like missing decoders in DCC Fitted models, the bag of detail parts being missing, etc. they've quickly and apologetically corrected the problem.

I don't get the bad attitude towards Hattons. They are not Amazon, or Walmart, or some giant corporation - they're just a local model shop that's "done good" and grown because they're successful.

By all means, order from your favorite shops, and avoid shops you've had issues with (all of the above are genuine responses I've gotten from "local model shops" about orders) - but telling people not to order from a shop, that is a successful part of our hobby, just because that shop is successful seems counter-productive.

• Agree x 11
  • Thanks x 1
  • Like x 1

#852 3rd Rail Exile

3rd Rail Exile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDidcot (kind of unfortunate really...)

Posted 26 October 2018 - 18:19

I can't answer for the original poster, but I can answer why Hattons gets my business - they've earned it.

They reply to e-mails.

I've never had to chase an order from them for over a year.

I've never missed a pre-order because they "forgot about it, sorry, we're out of stock now, would you like a Class 37 instead?"

I've never had them send me the wrong model, and then been "well, it's yours now, we can't take it back, if you want to buy the one you really wanted, we can charge your card again"

And in the cases have gone wrong, including things like missing decoders in DCC Fitted models, the bag of detail parts being missing, etc. they've quickly and apologetically corrected the problem.

I don't get the bad attitude towards Hattons. They are not Amazon, or Walmart, or some giant corporation - they're just a local model shop that's "done good" and grown because they're successful.

By all means, order from your favorite shops, and avoid shops you've had issues with (all of the above are genuine responses I've gotten from "local model shops" about orders) - but telling people not to order from a shop, that is a successful part of our hobby, just because that shop is successful seems counter-productive.

And they have (for me at least - I can't speak for others) honoured the £319 pre-order price - I ordered before Hornby's 10% limit was introduced, so was slightly concerned...

• Like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#853 jjb1970

jjb1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,573 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes, England

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:51

Personally I don't get the bad attitude to real mega corporations let alone corporate minnows like Hattons. The reason some of the big mega corps have been so successful is that they meet the expectations of their customers and provide something those customers value.
  • Agree x 4

#854 Richard Croft

Richard Croft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Posted 28 October 2018 - 20:17

Personally I don't get the bad attitude to real mega corporations let alone corporate minnows like Hattons. The reason some of the big mega corps have been so successful is that they meet the expectations of their customers and provide something those customers value.

And they started off as small businesses, they have probably worked very hard to get where they are.

Richard

• Agree x 2

#855 sincedric

sincedric

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 09:37

Just got the Paddington Bear Class 800, happy to say that there are no running problems on my track with some gradient changes, 2nd radius maximum.

Cedric

Edited by sincedric, 03 November 2018 - 09:37 .

• Informative/Useful x 1
  • Like x 1

#856 adb968008

adb968008

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 21:10

And they started off as small businesses, they have probably worked very hard to get where they are.

Richard

Or had venture capital funding, obtained a stock market flotation and grew further through mergers and acquisitions.

Edited by adb968008, 03 November 2018 - 21:16 .