Channel 4 model railway challenge

Nearholmer

Believed that it may have been pushed back to January, for reasons not specified.

Sponsored by Dapol? ;)

The loco on that flyer looks suspiciously Roundhouseish.  ISTR suggesting far upthread that such a beast might be suitable for the challenge :).

Spotted vai Facebook earlier. I'd guess these were taken by a passer-by: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doffcocker/sets/72157685160901256/page1

And don't forget the current Garden Rail magazine has a review of the track used.

J M Briscoe (the photographer) wasn't part of the cast or crew as far as I know. He appears to have followed the crew running the train.

The article in Garden Rail is a mystery, and I can only conclude given the wording in it uses 'they' rather than 'we' the writer is some-one local to the area rather than one of those directly involved who actually knows how this stuff really goes together. It would not have been hard to have scooped up spare track before the demolition crew passed through, and the track in the pictures does look somewhat battered. As far as I know this article never went through official approval from Channel 4, which is why it has appeared but magazines that have got articles that were approved are respecting Love's efforts and waiting until after broadcast to publish. 

It's a shame that people are putting all these revealing pictures out there. Love Productions put a lot of hard work, time and effort into organising this with the aim for it to be shown on Channel 4 in a clear structured way and not all revealed beforehand on third party flickr accounts and Facebook pages across the internet.

• Like 1

• Administrators

The article in Garden Rail is a mystery, and I can only conclude given the wording in it uses 'they' rather than 'we' the writer is some-one local to the area rather than one of those directly involved who actually knows how this stuff really goes together. It would not have been hard to have scooped up spare track before the demolition crew passed through, and the track in the pictures does look somewhat battered. As far as I know this article never went through official approval from Channel 4, which is why it has appeared but magazines that have got articles that were approved are respecting Love's efforts and waiting until after broadcast to publish. 

It's a shame that people are putting all these revealing pictures out there. Love Productions put a lot of hard work, time and effort into organising this with the aim for it to be shown on Channel 4 in a clear structured way and not all revealed beforehand on third party flickr accounts and Facebook pages across the internet.

The GR article was written by me and is simply a review of the track collected by a contact when the recycling centre was giving it away. The plan was for it to appear to coincide the start of the TV series, originally planned for October. You'll have noticed when you read it that I made a point of not giving away any spoilers and phrased it positively to encourage people to watch the show. It didn't go through Channel 4, but Love Prods were made aware of it in advance and received a copy of the article well ahead of publication. It's not serious investigative reporting as carried out by CH4 among others, but the principle is the same. 

I'd suggest that Ch4 needs to come up with some transmission dates (the Guardian expected October) if they don't want everything leaked out. Magazines are being offered accounts of the filming, I've read a very good one, although didn't influence the GR piece (I deliberately didn't look until after writing and based everything purely on looking at the track). Publishers are sitting on them because of the NDAs signed, but you can't hide a 70 mile long railway, even in Scotland. The Inverness Journal covered it including the result just after filming finished and the report is on-line (CONTAINS SPOILERS). How the talk to the MRC will work is a bit of a mystery as I can't see how you can do it without breaching the NDA though.

Having said all this, we aren't the main audience for the show. Most people won't have heard of it yet, nor see any of the discussions. When the show airs, I suspect they will start searching on-line and this will only add to the experience.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Agree with this. If I may expand on the Throwdown experience for a moment, there may be some useful parallels.

Incidentally, again as a (sorta) pro, I thought some of the Throwdown challenges were near impossible in the allotted times. However, thanks to the aforementioned fiddles, they were successfully "completed". Bear in mind that "completed" may mean something different in TVland from what you think it does ;-).

This is how they do this sort of show. Take Scrapheap Challenge as an example, the premise sold to the public was the two teams come up with a design and build it in two days. Then there is "tinkering time", supposedly on the morning of the day of the challenge itself. Tinkering time, is not an hour or so depicted, it's a whole day, another 50% of the so called build time and the design is already finalised by the experts before being presented to the teams.

Now believed to be November. Still to be confirmed (Channel 4 seem to like leaving letting anyone know transmission dates to no more than a week before hand it seems - even Love Productions aren't sure).

Don't be surprised if that slips further, like November 2018. C4 scheduling is like that and the production companies won't be told until the last minute. The Scrapheap series I was involved with aired 1 year after it was filmed. Even then, halfway through the series, it got dropped (the roadshow format they tried to push onto the main programme was rubbish for viewers and worse for contestants), so 10 years on, my episode is still on the cutting room floor.

This is how they do this sort of show. Take Scrapheap Challenge as an example, the premise sold to the public was the two teams come up with a design and build it in two days. Then there is "tinkering time", supposedly on the morning of the day of the challenge itself. Tinkering time, is not an hour or so depicted, it's a whole day, another 50% of the so called build time and the design is already finalised by the experts before being presented to the teams.

It is interesting to hear more about the behind the scenes of Scrapheap Challenge - it used to be one of my favourite programmes. One of my sister's friends was a runner, so third hand stories did occasionally make it as far as me.

Television and the real world are two different things. Television may look like the real world, but if you peek behind the curtain, invariably things are a little different inside.

Don't be surprised if that slips further, like November 2018. C4 scheduling is like that and the production companies won't be told until the last minute. The Scrapheap series I was involved with aired 1 year after it was filmed. Even then, halfway through the series, it got dropped (the roadshow format they tried to push onto the main programme was rubbish for viewers and worse for contestants), so 10 years on, my episode is still on the cutting room floor.

I must admit that the thought had crossed my mind. Whilst rare, it isn't entirely unheard of for whole programmes to disappear without trace and never get shown.

The GR article was written by me and is simply a review of the track collected by a contact when the recycling centre was giving it away. The plan was for it to appear to coincide the start of the TV series, originally planned for October. You'll have noticed when you read it that I made a point of not giving away any spoilers and phrased it positively to encourage people to watch the show. It didn't go through Channel 4, but Love Prods were made aware of it in advance and received a copy of the article well ahead of publication. It's not serious investigative reporting as carried out by CH4 among others, but the principle is the same. 

I'd suggest that Ch4 needs to come up with some transmission dates (the Guardian expected October) if they don't want everything leaked out. Magazines are being offered accounts of the filming, I've read a very good one, although didn't influence the GR piece (I deliberately didn't look until after writing and based everything purely on looking at the track). Publishers are sitting on them because of the NDAs signed, but you can't hide a 70 mile long railway, even in Scotland. The Inverness Journal covered it including the result just after filming finished and the report is on-line (CONTAINS SPOILERS). How the talk to the MRC will work is a bit of a mystery as I can't see how you can do it without breaching the NDA though.

Having said all this, we aren't the main audience for the show. Most people won't have heard of it yet, nor see any of the discussions. When the show airs, I suspect they will start searching on-line and this will only add to the experience.

Re-reading my post, I think I probably came across a bit harshly which wasn't the intention. As one of the people who took part, I have to go through so many hoops to be able to publish anything, and that includes having the finished articles embargoed until after transmission and final approval given by the TV company. That wouldn't be too bad if I knew exactly when it will be shown, but I've been told October then November and now possibly January. Each time I have to go to editors to explain that this article they have planned taking up a particular space in a particular issue now needs to move. 

It sounds as frustrating to people at Love  Productions that they are as much in the dark as the rest of us over when this is going to get shown. When January was mentioned, Channel 4's Autumn schedule was still showing the programme as part of that schedule (though without specific dates)

does anyone know if they actually successfully laid and ran the train   I am reminded of the original comment by the production team 

"the team behind the programme have called the plans "slightly bonkers"." 

I heard that Nessie got a bit miffed by all the noise and ate the train.  ;)

The real answer is that the people involved can't tell anyone.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

I can understand the reasons behind the embargo, but is it reasonable to stretch that beyond the time when those participating were told(and therefore agreed to) that the program would transmit?

If someone was to leak out a lot of info, then was taken to court, it would be interesting to see how it would dealt with in the courts. Especially as it was filmed in Scotland, which does have some different rules/laws to the rest of the UK.

Seem to remember some rumbles a couple of years ago when something leaked on Bake-off.

• RMweb Gold

I can understand the reasons behind the embargo, but is it reasonable to stretch that beyond the time when those participating were told (and therefore agreed to) that the program would transmit?

As one of the people who took part, I have to go through so many hoops to be able to publish anything, and that includes having the finished articles embargoed until after transmission and final approval given by the TV company. That wouldn't be too bad if I knew exactly when it will be shown, but I've been told October then November and now possibly January. Each time I have to go to editors to explain that this article they have planned taking up a particular space in a particular issue now needs to move.

It sounds as frustrating to people at Love Productions that they are as much in the dark as the rest of us over when this is going to get shown. When January was mentioned, Channel 4's Autumn schedule was still showing the programme as part of that schedule (though without specific dates)

Well, I guess it might still be shown in the autumn.

Which autumn, though, is anyone's guess.

Seriously though, I wish Channel 4 would finally decide when they are going to broadcast these programmes - and actually run with their decision.

Let's face it - it's not as if they are scheduling full size trains - only to cancel them without warning, because of a midge on the line (or was it a leaf - I've kinda forgotten myself, in all the excitement).

Although it probably doesn't make a lot of odds to the Channel 4 people who make the scheduling decisions, the current situation doesn't strike me as exactly reasonable. It certainly isn't fair to anyone who was actually involved in making the programmes - whether they are volunteers, presenters, or people working for the production company.

Also,I seem to recall that there was previously talk of further series. These delays in transmission are unlikely to encourage any of the further volunteers who'd be needed for these series to happen.

Still, what do I know? After all, I'm only a mere viewer … .

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• RMweb Gold

I can understand the reasons behind the embargo, but is it reasonable to stretch that beyond the time when those participating were told(and therefore agreed to) that the program would transmit?

If someone was to leak out a lot of info, then was taken to court, it would be interesting to see how it would dealt with in the courts. Especially as it was filmed in Scotland, which does have some different rules/laws to the rest of the UK.

Seem to remember some rumbles a couple of years ago when something leaked on Bake-off.

Sounds like they didn't crimp the pastry properly.

In which case you'd expect the designs proffered to actually work - I can remember one where the challenge was to create a machine capable of 'walking' down a course and stepping over a number of obstacles en route. One team built a giant wheel - think 'Round and Round went the Great Big Wheel' in Dad's Army, but with one segment removed, the idea being that the empty segment would coincide with the obstacle and the wheel continue to roll on its way. In practice of course, the empty segment (about 60 degrees IIRC) acted like a very large flat on the wheel and as soon as that reached the bottom, the wheel stopped!

A mate of mine used to be a policeman and on one occasion had cause to visit a scrapyard in the course of his official duties (which turned out to be a paperwork error by the local council). Anyhow his first reaction on arriving was "What's this TV crew doing here?"

• RMweb Gold

I know there's been talk of late October/early November, but I'd have thought it would be the sort of entertainment they'd save for Christmas viewing.

Not quite - this series sounds like it might actually be entertaining - it certainly doesn't fit in with the standard "festive" diet of regurgitated turkey leftovers.

Anyway, there's another reason why this wouldn't fit in. It almost certainly shows trains running - something which doesn't tend to happen very much on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Obviously, I could be very much mistaken - after all, I haven't seen it yet, despite it originally being reputed to have been part of Channel 4's autumn schedules. Well, I guess there's always next year … .

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

does anyone know if they actually successfully laid and ran the train   I am reminded of the original comment by the production team 

"the team behind the programme have called the plans "slightly bonkers"." 

Check the link in post 205 but keep the answer to yourself for the benefit of those who don't like spoilers.

• 1 month later...

Not quite - this series sounds like it might actually be entertaining - it certainly doesn't fit in with the standard "festive" diet of regurgitated turkey leftovers.

Anyway, there's another reason why this wouldn't fit in. It almost certainly shows trains running - something which doesn't tend to happen very much on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Obviously, I could be very much mistaken - after all, I haven't seen it yet, despite it originally being reputed to have been part of Channel 4's autumn schedules. Well, I guess there's always next year … .

Huw.

Nothing to do with trains, or C4 or anything much, but with all the drivel on the box on Saturday evening, we, as a family, slumped in front of BBC4 and watched the WHOLE of "All Aboard! The Sleigh Ride".  Two whole hours of watching a reindeers bum as it plodded through the snowy wastes of Norway above the Arctic Circle.  Most relaxing!

• 2 weeks later...

And funnier yet the RT blurb tells us the participants are 'tetchy'. The lead presenter billed as the one known as 'Stuck Drawbridge' in our family. Something of a Marmite choice there; I am sure he is a pleasant chap in reality, but in excitable TV presenting mode a little too much after the first ten minutes. However, I have my own modest little layout to play with so that's alright.