Upgraded iOS app for Model Rail - WARNING!

Kiwi

In the last 48 hours Bauer Media have rolled out a completely new version of the Model Rail app for iPhone / iPad (don't know if there's one for Android).

They have, in my opinion, majorly stuffed up!

I only found out about the new app when I opened it on my iPad, to continue reading my copy of Great British Model Railways. I found that none of my existing downloads were there. All shown in the library with a purchase price attached. But, OK, I thought, that's not a surprise with an upgraded app. So I looked around and found the "Restore" option. Clicked that and all the downloads were now in "My Library" without the price sticker.

That's great, but now they all say "Download". That can't be right! I checked my memory list in the iPad's settings screens, and sure enough my 10GB+ of magazines downloaded over the last three or so years are there.

So I found the "Feedback" option in the app and asked what was going on. Here's the reply:

Thank you for contacting us with your feedback message.

We would like to take this time to apologise for the inconvenience of
having to download the library again after this latest update.

The reason behind this, is because it wasn't just a regular update, but
the app was completely rebuilt using a new software so that the app will
have better functionality moving forward. This meant having to rebuild
everything to the last bit, so unfortunately it wasn't possible to
transfer the libraries, because each issue needed to be reimported.

We do hope that you will enjoy the new app once everything is back and
settled in. If you should run into any problems, please don't hesitate to
contact us again.

Best wishes,

ELIZABETH KORFF
Support Manager International ePublishing

BAUER XCEL MEDIA DEUTSCHLAND KG
Bauer Media Group
Brieffach 22000
D-20077 Hamburg

I can't post my response on here (wouldn't be acceptable), but I have no intention of wasting a limited data plan and my time downloading it all again. So sadly I've deleted the whole of my digital back-catalogue as it's no longer readable, and deleted the app. That's one less magazine to spend my money on!! 

Incidentally - I did re-download the Great British Model Railways just to finish reading it. Unfortunately this great new app crashed three times while I tried to use it!!!!!!

I ditched Railway Modeller over a year ago because of it's stupid system that requires a constant subscription or you loose access to all your previous purchases. Now this one's gone. Just Hornby and BRM left. I'm getting worried about BRM. I hope it's no more than me being wary, but it's adding more and more "extra's" to the digital version, which on the surface sounds great. But it's making the product unnecessarily complex, and it seems to me there are more complaints on these pages about it's performance than previously. Perhaps there's a connection there? I'd hate to see that go the same way as MR and RM. All I want is a digital copy of the paper version. I really don't need all the "bells and whistles".In fact, ideally for me, a simple pdf version would be more than adequate.

I rely on the digital versions. We have very few model shops here (none close to me), even fewer of them stock magazines, and they are ridiculous prices. Getting them by mail is slow, and again expensive.

I'm getting worried about BRM. I hope it's no more than me being wary, but it's adding more and more "extra's" to the digital version, which on the surface sounds great. But it's making the product unnecessarily complex, and it seems to me there are more complaints on these pages about it's performance than previously.

Virtually all of the new extra content in BRM doesn't run within the app, it's just linked to and therefore does not impact upon the core. The two-day glitch we had for the initial download this month was down to an interrupted upload from the magcloner end.

Try an issue and see how you get on.

Virtually all of the new extra content in BRM doesn't run within the app, it's just linked to and therefore does not impact upon the core. The two-day glitch we had for the initial download this month was down to an interrupted upload from the magcloner end.

Try an issue and see how you get on.

Thanks Andy. That's good to hear. I do have the latest BRM, and do get a copy pretty much every month. The only problem I have with it this month is the already reported minor one at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123706-brm-july-17/&do=findComment&comment=2755399

Page 75 in my issue features a high speed 'slide show' where the 'background history' picture is situated. The 'slide show' is very fast so none of the pictures can be viewed properly.

I haven't seen any report of that one being fixed?

Can't you just download on wifi, avoiding any download restrictions?

I do use wifi (my iPad has nothing else), WiFi still uses data, and still has restrictions. NZ doesn't (yet) have unlimited data plans for cellular or broadband data. 

In fact, due to my particularly rural NZ location, even my internet wifi comes via a digital (4g) cellular transmission.

Edited by Kiwi

Tried 12 months of one of the mags electronically...I think BRM  and had a couple of attempts of another and that was enough for me!
I get the mags I can hold in my hand.

More expense ...yes, but I dropped off the Hornby Mag and still get Railway modeller....the Newsagent gets both the surface one and the airmail one, I get the airmail one about 1-2 weeks after it is released in the Uk for an extra 3 dollars more.
BRM and Model rail still only come surface so I have to wait while everyone has finished discussing the items I finally get to see them.
That way there is No hassles downloading them and have them on hand as and when I need them.

Khris

• RMweb Premium

I do use wifi (my iPad has nothing else), WiFi still uses data, and still has restrictions. NZ doesn't (yet) have unlimited data plans for cellular or broadband data.

In fact, due to my particularly rural NZ location, even my internet wifi comes via a digital (4g) cellular transmission.

You are wrong about the unlimited data plan Kiwi. I'm in Timaru and have unlimited fibre broadband and homeline from Slingshot for $100 a month. Have had it for the last 12 months. Sadly they aren't available rurally but they are definitely here.

It's sad you felt the need to delete an entire magazine library because you have to download them all again. Surely you won't have to read them all at the same time. Why couldn't you have just downloaded each one as, when, & of you need them. That's what I am going to do. I agree it's a pain but I do think you completely getting rid of an entire publication due to an updated app is a bit extreme.

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Seems like the publishers don't think multiple downloading as a problem as they assume everybody (quite clearly not!) can access free wi-fi or have unlimited fast broadband at home.

OK if you live in a city with multiple retail outlets and wi-fi literally swamping you, but not in a rural location where you have to rely on more restrictive data plans.

Unfortunately it seems to be the way these days.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

You are wrong about the unlimited data plan Kiwi. I'm in Timaru and have unlimited fibre broadband and homeline from Slingshot for $100 a month. Have had it for the last 12 months. Sadly they aren't available rurally but they are definitely here.

It's sad you felt the need to delete an entire magazine library because you have to download them all again. Surely you won't have to read them all at the same time. Why couldn't you have just downloaded each one as, when, & of you need them. That's what I am going to do. I agree it's a pain but I do think you completely getting rid of an entire publication due to an updated app is a bit extreme.

Ignoring the practicalities for a moment, who, in any organisation, would update anything which caused you to lose everything you already had from that company, imagine if Microsoft worked to a similar plan.

Poor thought process from Bauer IMHO.

Mike.

I agree that it was a poor way of doing it. But I still think it's a bit extreme to discard an entire publication because of it.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. For me it's a matter of principle. They didn't ask, they didn't even warn. I'm not interested in supporting the profits of any organization that does that. And there are alternatives.

As for unlimited data in NZ, of course I'm aware it exists in a few places. I saw no point in confusing my view by being pedantic.

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not interested in supporting the profits of any organization that does that. And there are alternatives.

You already own the magazines. You don't have to pay for them again. How is that supporting the profits?

You already own the magazines. You don't have to pay for them again. How is that supporting the profits?

I said we should agree to disagree. Please.

Edited by Kiwi

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm not very non-computer savvy, but I have read that from the next version of the Apple iOS operating system coming in September, older iPhones (up to and including the iPhone 5) will no longer be able to upgrade their iOS software. The same applies to older iPads though I don't know which. This is because new iPhones and iPads will (now this is where my language may be way off) only run 64 bit software. This also means that any older iOS Apps that currently run on 32 bit must be upgraded to 64 bit or they won't work on new devices.

I presume that the major upgrade of the Model Rail iOS App was to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit, so it will continue to work on all iPhones and iPads.

Edited by brushman47544

You can see which IOS apps are not compatible with the next version of IOS on Apple device by clicking on Settings / General / About / Applications.

This gives you a list of any which require updating to keep them working and invites you to contact the developers concerned to chivvy them up.

I'm glad to see that the Bauer media app does not appear on myPad's list but sadly Doom does.

// Simon

Hi Guys

I had the same problems with my iPad where it was crashing all the time.

I have all the other major magazines i.e. BRM, RM, Hornby etc and it is only Model Rail that is causing a problem

I emailed Bauer and got the same response as the other posters

So I too have cancelled my subscription and deleted the app,after all what use is having it if you can't use it!!!!!!

Regards chrisGH

Hi Guys

I had the same problems with my iPad where it was crashing all the time.

I have all the other major magazines i.e. BRM, RM, Hornby etc and it is only Model Rail that is causing a problem

I emailed Bauer and got the same response as the other posters

So I too have cancelled my subscription and deleted the app,after all what use is having it if you can't use it!!!!!!

Regards chrisGH

What response was that? (CJL)

Hi Guys

Sorry I didn't elaborate with my last post but this was the response from Bauer.

"Hi Chris,
Thank you for contacting us with your message, reporting this crashing.
With technology moving forward, the device cache of older models is
struggling with the new app, resulting in the crashing.
We are in the process of communicating with our developers to see if
there is anything that can be done about this.
However, we can't guarantee that this will solve the problem, because it
just isn't possible to ensure that the new content is compatible with all
devices and operating systems.
In general, it also helps to make sure that there aren't too many apps
open in the background while using the app. Every app that
runs in the background requires system resources. When a lot of apps are
running in the background, this can cause the device to run more slowly or
not properly as well. If enough resources are not available, problems may
occur.

To avoid such problems, please always quit the apps running in the
background before opening the Model Rail app, using these two
steps:

o close the app and all other apps running in the background
completely by double clicking the home button of your device so that
all programs running in the background appear.

o Push them off the screen to close them.

I am sorry that I don't have the most positive news to report back to you,
and hope
we will hear back from our developers soon.

If you should have any further questions, please do not hesitate to
contact us again.

Kind regards,
ELIZABETH KORFF
Support Manager International ePublishing

As I said not a very satisfactory reply in that she gave the obvious answers which are a must do anyway

By the Way

I downloaded the current mag through the Pocketmags App onto my ipad. NOT through the MODEL RAIL App

NO PROBLEM WHAT SO EVER !!!!

so it looks like it is a Bauer Media problem 

regards Chris GH

• RMweb Gold

I've had the same response as Chris GH from Elizabeth Korff at Bauer Media. I do hope that the app development team can sort it out soon, my Mini iPad is only two years old and I do not intend to buy another just to read Model Rail!

Godfrey

• RMweb Premium

That is a bit poor. Whilst you can forgive them not supporting very old devices, a two year old iPad should be fine, suggests it's probably not the best made app, you shouldn't have to be quitting all other open apps before opening it.

• RMweb Premium

Let's not forget that with the new iOS update to iOS 11 coming soon, apps will only work if they are 64-Bit or more. Many current apps are 32-Bit and as such slowed down the device they were used on. Could well be that the old Model Rail app was the old Bit rate and has now been updated ready for the iOS update coming soon.