MRJ 256

Re6/6

• RMweb Premium

My copy arrived in Donegal today. It looks like a good read but I can't find any connection between the cover photograph and any of the articles, nor any reference to it within the magazine. Perhaps I am not looking hard enough.

Befuddled of Donegal

Unless I'm mistaken the cover is a shot of Arun Quay, the latest masterclass from the Gravetts.

I love MRJ, always have. As a previous poster said, if it appears that nothing grabs the attention instantly, it usually does later on. I feel quite a loyalty towards it like an old friend.

On another note, thanks Jerry for including my letter.

Richard,

Not so disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Unless I'm mistaken the cover is a shot of Arun Quay, the latest masterclass from the Gravetts.

Shortly to appear, no doubt! Saw it on its first outing at Warminster, as ever, just superb.

Shortly to appear, no doubt! Saw it on its first outing at Warminster, as ever, just superb.

I'm sure that's it - a superb model on the cover of another excellent issue.

But it really ought to have been duly credited; the fact that it wasn't is evidence of a certain sloppiness that's crept in to the editing process. The typos on the cover are another manifestation of the same thing. It's one thing to find that sort of thing in a parish magazine, quite another in what should be the best hobby mag in the country.

But it's a smashing read, all the same!

Edited by John_Hughes

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure that's it - a superb model on the cover of another excellent issue.

But it really ought to have been duly credited; the fact that it wasn't is evidence of a certain sloppiness that's crept in to the editing process. The typos on the cover are another manifestation of the same thing. It's one thing to find that sort of thing in a parish magazine, quite another in what should be the best hobby mag in the country.

But it's a smashing read, all the same!

It is indeed Arun Quay and should have been credited. As guest editor the butt stops with me although I have checked the files and proofs that were sent to the printers and the caption was there, the typos on the cover were not and the correct pictures were present in my article. I can only apologise for errors which shouldn't have been there.

post-1074-0-06566400-1500541280_thumb.jpg

Edited to attach the missing picture

Jerry

Edited by queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Never mind Jerry.  It's a crackingly good issue.  Loving JBS's article on buildings.  The little sketches are lovely, a hint of Illiffe-Stokes about them.

Mark

It is indeed Arun Quay and should have been credited. As guest editor the butt stops with me although I have checked the files and proofs that were sent to the printers and the caption was there, the typos on the cover were not and the correct pictures were present in my article. I can only apologise for errors which shouldn't have been there.

attachicon.gifMaunsell set 398.JPG

Edited to attach the missing picture

Jerry

No-one's died.

• RMweb Gold

Never mind Jerry.  It's a crackingly good issue.  Loving JBS's article on buildings.  The little sketches are lovely, a hint of Illiffe-Stokes about them.

Mark

I knew his sister......Doris but I'm sure you saw that coming.....

An excellent issue. Most inspiring. I particularly liked the Nettlebridge Valley Railway; I hope to get to see it at a show.

Well done Jerry! (But a bit more of God's Wonderful will always be welcome...)

Duncan

I just noticed 4 old ones in Wimbledon WHS. Aren't we allowed new ones until the old ones are all gone?

Well, the new ones are there now - quick perusal on the bus home and looking forward to a proper read later.

I believe there is only one misprint on the front cover - the Taff Vale Stream Railmotor was, in fact, an early attempt at amphibious passenger transport.

Edited by sharris

Well, the new ones are there now - quick perusal on the bus home and looking forward to a proper read later.

I believe there is only one misprint on the front cover - the Taff Vale Stream Railmotor was, in fact, an early attempt at amphibious passenger transport.

The only 'faults' I have seen are the above mentioned 'Stream' on the front cover, the missing caption for Arun Quay, and the pic of the 2mm scale Bulleid coaches being used twice when the Maunsell set should have been used at the head of the relevant article.

To err is human .... to forgive divine. Long may MRJ continue to plough it's inspirational furrow.

• RMweb Gold

I think it should also be Nettlebridge on the front cover not Nettleridge, thus being the second spelling mistake?

I managed to secure a copy from the local village newsagents-######-post office yesterday. Until then they had been displaying issue 255.

I'm pleased with the issue particularly JBS's buildings article and the N/2mm coach features. However, the issue is predominantly steamy era and I was a little disappointed that there was nothing about modelling D&E subjects.

G.

Edit - Damn censor changing a perfectly acceptable combination preposition word.

Edited by grahame

I remember the first book I had published back in the '80s. I proofed the galleys (that dates it!), my wife proofed the galleys, I read and corrected the page proofs and then my wife did the same.

When the printed copies duly arrived from the publishers, I opened one up and right there in front of me was a typo. I'm sure they breed in dark places when no-one's looking.

And the Nettle(b)ridge article comes with plans! Brilliant!

• RMweb Gold

I managed to secure a copy from the local village newsagents-######-post office yesterday. Until then they had been displaying issue 255.

I'm pleased with the issue particularly JBS's buildings article and the N/2mm coach features. However, the issue is predominantly steamy era and I was a little disappointed that there was nothing about modelling D&E subjects.

G.

Edit - Damn censor changing a perfectly acceptable combination preposition word.

Thanks Graham. I try to get as broad a range of articles as possible but I think your comment about the lack of D&E articles is a fair point. I have a few feelers out with potential authors so hopefully that will be corrected for my next issue.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare

coerrected.

A new portmanteau word combining coerced and corrected - correction by force, as in...

"You'll correct the lack of D&E topics by writing me a fine article about diesels, or it'll be the thumbscrews for you, laddie" ? 

• RMweb Premium

Just got my copy and settled down with coffee and mag, but had to stop to say that the Nettlebridge layout and article are brilliant. Just the kind of blending of real history and a perfectly feasible alternative universe that I try to achieve, superb modelling and lovely photos.

And the editorial is thought provoking and has made me rethink my previously negative approach to DCC (though it is great to use it at the North American modular layout meet).

And if I ever manage an issue of the HMRS Newsletter without a typo I shall expect a medal, but don't bother buying me one yet. As suggested above, they breed in dark places. Of course it is hopeless proof reading your own material.

Jonathan

• Like 1

Whilst some of this parish know of my liking for all things Great Western I purchased this copy yesterday and I do enjoy it's eclectic mix of topics etc. which makes MRJ what it is.

I too congratulate you Jerry and long may the broad brush approach continue.

Grahame

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps the shelf that my copy is currently on will be OK for me to read it after all. I remember seeing the Nettlebridge layout at a show once, it might have been Taunton (at the old venue). I remember liking it at the time.

• RMweb Gold

It's good to see that after fifty years, the countryside around Coleford is once again being modelled! The Nettlebridge Valley Line passes through the country I grew up in, in the late 50s and early 60s. When we moved to Highbridge, we set about our own model of a GWR branchline terminus at Coleford and an intermediate station at Vobster. GWR being Dad's favoured company and one that we could buy signals for! The SDJR did get running powers and gradually acquired more stock than the GW.

Some of our primitive efforts can be seen at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4290-sutters-family-railway-modelling-in-the-1960s-70s/

The NVL is a very evocative recreation of the Mendip landscape. It seems that the area is becoming quite popular among layout builders and it does have a lot to offer.

The small scale buildings and Highland vans articles are also excellent.

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Gold

I picked up my copy yesterday and have enjoyed flicking through it, prior to a proper read.

As per my usual habit, I'll be reading the MRJ picture captions aloud in the slightly hushed, reverential tones of TV's "Whispering" Bob Harris, introducing the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band on the Old Grey Whistle Test, circa 1972.

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I picked up my copy yesterday and have enjoyed flicking through it, prior to a proper read.

As per my usual habit, I'll be reading the MRJ picture captions aloud in the slightly hushed, reverential tones of TV's "Whispering" Bob Harris, introducing the Bonzy Dog Doo-Dah Band on the Old Grey Whistle Test, circa 1972.

"Colliers (inordinately long pause) heading home"... you've got me doing it now. MRJ is never going to be the same again. Thank you so much...

PS: For the Lord and Lady Whiteadders amongst us, this absolutely a discussion about the contents.

PPS: Check out https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xoWs8ER6PJo I promise your day will be better for it.

• Like 1