#1226 chuffinghell

chuffinghell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Posted 11 July 2018 - 13:30

27882264147_73590b8b16_c.jpg

I asked The Model Centre to rename and weather my NCB green loco - and now I appear to be planning a small layout based on the Earl of Dudley's Railway.

Looks fantastic!

I wasn't going to have any of my loco's weathered but after seeing this I've ordered 4mm scale numberplates from Narrow Planet and once they arrive mine will be going to TMC for weathering too

Chris

• Like x 2

#1227 chuffinghell

chuffinghell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:25

Unfortunately, possibly a break down in communication on my part, my replacement plates have arrived today from Narrow Planet and they appear to be the ‘oversized’ plates that cover the original instead of 4mm scale plates ordered.

I’m sure it’s my fault for not being specific about my intention of removing the original printed on number plates and replacing them with ‘to scale’ plates

Oh well sometimes sh* t happens

On a positive note the quality of their plates is fantastic

Chris
  • Friendly/Supportive x 1

#1228 chuffinghell

chuffinghell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Posted 15 July 2018 - 13:58

Does the real (fake) 705 have correct sized numberplates though, comparing photos of it with 813 is does seem to be there is a greater spacing between the sides of the number and the edge of the numberplate on 705 whereas given the numerals involved you would expect that to be more likely on 813

Does this help at all?

Attached Thumbnails

• C9653912-6A32-42CC-9E55-3CB5EBF38452.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell, 15 July 2018 - 14:24 .

• Like x 3
  • Friendly/Supportive x 1

#1229 92912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 15:25

My pair are now beginning to look less like fairground engines and more like workers, Name and worksplates are from Narrow Planet

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8306xclzs.JPG

• Like x 21
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 3

#1230 Black 5 Bear

Black 5 Bear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 786 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire.

Posted 15 July 2018 - 17:09

Looks fantastic!

I wasn't going to have any of my loco's weathered but after seeing this I've ordered 4mm scale numberplates from Narrow Planet and once they arrive mine will be going to TMC for weathering too

Chris

You might like to try "Grimy Times" in Warrington. I've had a few locos weathered by Steve Johnson, the results of which are absolutely superb. He recently featured in a BRM weathering guide a few months back.
Good pricing, excellent customer service.
All steam locos are upgraded free of charge with real coal.
Have a look on their website as there is a gallery of weathered model for sale.

Edited by Black 5 Bear, 15 July 2018 - 17:12 .

• Informative/Useful x 3
  • Like x 1

#1231 chuffinghell

chuffinghell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Posted 15 July 2018 - 17:34

You might like to try "Grimy Times" in Warrington. I've had a few locos weathered by Steve Johnson, the results of which are absolutely superb. He recently featured in a BRM weathering guide a few months back.
Good pricing, excellent customer service.
All steam locos are upgraded free of charge with real coal.
Have a look on their website as there is a gallery of weathered model for sale.

Thanks for that, it’s worth knowing

I’ve replaced the handrails on mine but I’m hoping a bit weathering will tone them down a bit

http://www.rmweb.co....ment-handrails/

Chris
  • Like x 1

#1232 Ruston

Ruston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  • LocationWest Riding

Posted 15 July 2018 - 18:08

My pair are now beginning to look less like fairground engines and more like workers, Name and worksplates are from Narrow Planet

Very nice job there, Sir. I don't know why so many people seem to be afraid of weathering.

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#1233 chuffinghell

chuffinghell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Posted 15 July 2018 - 18:47

Very nice job there, Sir. I don't know why so many people seem to be afraid of weathering.

Because it’s very very scary
  • Friendly/Supportive x 2
  • Funny x 2

#1234 Ruston

Ruston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  • LocationWest Riding

Posted 15 July 2018 - 19:14

Because it’s very very scary

No, it isn't. You don't even need anything so fancy as an airbrush. Really, have a go, save yourself some money, rather than pay any of those so-called weathering experts, such as TMC, to do it. All they do is blow some dirty-coloured paint all over with an airbrush and charge an arm and leg for something you can do yourself for nothing.

Yes, you have to buy the materials but they will last for many locomotives, wagons and anything else and still come in cheaper than these so-called experts.

There's a whole section of this forum where you can see how it's done and pick up tips. Every railway modelling magazine has features on it every so often and you can even buy books on the subject!

The Art Of Weathering, by Martin Welch, Wild Swan Publishing - it'll cost you about fifteen quid. I bought a copy years ago and it was worth every penny.

• Agree x 5
  • Thanks x 1

#1235 Steamport Southport

Steamport Southport

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,167 posts
  • Location27C

Posted 15 July 2018 - 22:54

Axe wielding maniacs are scary.  :butcher:  :jester:

Weathering not so much. Try and get some cheap models to practice on, you don't need to jump in at the deep end by messing about with £100 models. Old wagons are ideal and can be picked up for a couple of quid.

There have been a few good guides available as well as the Welch book. Some might even be in your local library. Always worth a look.

https://www.amazon.c...&qid=1531694568

There's also an entire sub forum on this website full of weathering techniques.

http://www.rmweb.co....ting-transfers/

Jason

#1236 sb67

sb67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationRomford, Essex.

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:01

Fantastic weathering 92912, they really look the part. How did you get that look?

Steve.

#1237 Caledonian

Caledonian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationCurrently near Backworth Colliery but originally from Aberdeen (Kitty)

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:45

Axe wielding maniacs are scary.  :butcher:  :jester:

Weathering not so much. Try and get some cheap models to practice on, you don't need to jump in at the deep end by messing about with £100 models. Old wagons are ideal and can be picked up for a couple of quid.

There have been a few good guides available as well as the Welch book. Some might even be in your local library. Always worth a look.

https://www.amazon.c...&qid=1531694568

There's also an entire sub forum on this website full of weathering techniques.

http://www.rmweb.co....ting-transfers/

Jason

Absolutely. I possess no airbrush and largely rely on weathering powders - or to be more specific crushed artists pastels - Rowney do a very nice little box containing black, brown, grey and black - all you'll every need. As the man says, my blue Barclay no longer looks like it belongs in a fairground

• Informative/Useful x 1

#1238 92912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:02

Fantastic weathering 92912, they really look the part. How did you get that look?
Steve.

Cheers, I more or less follow Tim Shackleton's methods which are basically

Hand brush a layer of grime on then wipe most of it off leaving dirt in hard to reach areas behind handrails etc (photo of Eastfield at this stage with some rust)

Then airbrush a grimey mix of dirty black/rust brown/roof dirt particularly on horizontal surfaces and wheels/frames

Finish off by highlighting "working" areas with weathering powders/washes (both Barclays need this doing)

As others have said weathering isnt scary or difficult with a little practice, and if it doesn't look right meths on a cotton bud will take most of it off and leave a recently cleaned effect

Attached Thumbnails

• 6162018103048.jpg

• Like x 6

#1239 bennyboy

bennyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 18:32

I've just come across some pictures of the CPC Andrew Barclay  at Trafford Park which I've never seen before.

https://www.branchli...pid=1265&seq=16

https://www.branchli...pid=1266&seq=17

• Thanks x 1

#1240 johnd

johnd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 18:57

I've just come across some pictures of the CPC Andrew Barclay  at Trafford Park which I've never seen before.

https://www.branchli...pid=1265&seq=16

https://www.branchli...pid=1266&seq=17

Unfortunately the links appear not to work.

#1241 Steamport Southport

Steamport Southport

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,167 posts
  • Location27C

Posted 16 July 2018 - 19:07

They're working for me. Although they weren't before.

Nice photo of the MSC Sentinels as well.

Jason

#1242 MarkSG

MarkSG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 786 posts
  • LocationVale of Evesham

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:20

Unfortunately the links appear not to work.

You need to go to the album's index page first: https://www.branchli...-new.php?id=365

Once you've done that. you can then either click through from the index page to the images, or follow the links above.

I suspect this is some kind of half-baked anti-copying system.