SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

I am surprised Bachmann have not already derived a dance hall considering the chassis is the same as their Pilbox.

I'm not.  The dancehall was so late in SECR history that the only locos that would go with it are the grey liveried ones - so a Collectors version of the C class and the P Class when it arrives next month.

What would be somewhat more appropriate would be an earlier version brake van that could go with the above as well as the green C Class locos, the H class and the green P class.  Many of these also lasted into BR days and so the opportunities for livery variants and a bigger market are there.

I'm not.  The dancehall was so late in SECR history that the only locos that would go with it are the grey liveried ones - so a Collectors version of the C class and the P Class when it arrives next month.

What would be somewhat more appropriate would be an earlier version brake van that could go with the above as well as the green C Class locos, the H class and the green P class.  Many of these also lasted into BR days and so the opportunities for livery variants and a bigger market are there.

I agree they were late (a 6 wheel variant preserved on the KESR would make a more interesting choice) but a Dance hall would be an easy opportunity for Bachmann.

They also did an N class in SECR grey too.

I agree they were late (a 6 wheel variant preserved on the KESR would make a more interesting choice) but a Dance hall would be an easy opportunity for Bachmann.

They also did an N class in SECR grey too.

A six-wheeler would make a LOT of sense ........... the original was derived from a Midland Railway design which also spawned the early LMS van that Bachmann already do !  ........ so laterally thinking backwards, it should be possible for them to do a six wheeler with full-length body for the SECR then a 3/4 body van for each railway - they already do appropriate motive power for both so what ( if anything ) is stopping them ...... ? .......................

• RMweb Premium

or you could make a couple from Parkside kits 

www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112617-buildingbodging-some-secr-brake-vans/

It really is an easy build and pretty accurate for all but the most discerning rivet counter.

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

We have been informed by our shipping agent that the vessel that is bringing our P class locomotives to the UK has been delayed.  This has been due to the bad weather last week, it was due to dock on the 28th February.  The port of entry is Felixstowe but the port closed for 2 days and, after waiting offshore for just over 24 hours, the decision was made to head for the Port of Rotterdam and unload there first. There will also be a stop at Gdansk before the ship heads back to Felixstowe. This has meant that the new ETA at Felixstowe is 13th March.  There will be a few days for unloading, customs clearance and transshipping to a standard curtain-side lorry before heading northwest to us.  The new ETA for being in stock is Tuesday 20th March. 

We'll of course keep you updated as we track the ship but we have been given assurances that this is a realistic date for delivery.

I'll ensure that the latest information is available here as well as on the listings for each loco on our website at https://www.hattons.co.uk/pclass

This only affects the P's that are currently on the way - the SECR pair (and Andrew Barclays) are unaffected.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

We have been informed by our shipping agent that the vessel that is bringing our P class locomotives to the UK has been delayed.  This has been due to the bad weather last week, it was due to dock on the 28th February.  The port of entry is Felixstowe but the port closed for 2 days and, after waiting offshore for just over 24 hours, the decision was made to head for the Port of Rotterdam and unload there first. There will also be a stop at Gdansk before the ship heads back to Felixstowe. This has meant that the new ETA at Felixstowe is 13th March.  There will be a few days for unloading, customs clearance and transshipping to a standard curtain-side lorry before heading northwest to us.  The new ETA for being in stock is Tuesday 20th March. 

Thanks for the update Dave.

On the downside, we have to wait an extra week or so ...

... on the upside, if the ship has to leave Felistowe and go via Rotterdam we really can say they are taking the P ... ;)

bad puns aside, I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

How is the NEM coupler pocket attached on this model:

1. on an extending close coupling cam (excellent),

2. pivoted in some manner (acceptable)

3. fixed and unmoveable (disastrous)

?

It's a model of a small tank engine not a carriage or a big diesel.

Why on earth would anyone put anything other than a bog standard fixed NEM pocket on it?

• RMweb Gold

How is the NEM coupler pocket attached on this model:

1. on an extending close coupling cam (excellent),

2. pivoted in some manner (acceptable)

3. fixed and unmoveable (disastrous)

?

4. Inside the cab (incredulous)

5. Removed and replaced with scale hooks and a dcc fireman to operate it (fabulous)

;)

Why on earth would anyone put anything other than a bog standard fixed NEM pocket on it?

Well, because a bog standard fixed NEM pocket means you have to fit either bog standard hook-and-loop couplers or bog standard Kadee couplers which is a drag if your rolling stock is fitted with Roco couplers as standard in order to facilitate close coupling, that's why. If the pocket was at least pivoted, then Roco or Fleischmann couplers could be fitted, even if not close-coupling. The whole point of NEM pockets is to be able to fit the couplers of your choice, instead of having to settle for bog standard enormous-gap couplers.

As someone who changes the couplers on most of his locos I don't really care if there isn't much lateral movement in the NEM pocket (though  preferring them not to be as floppy as on Heljan's 05 and 14) so long as when I change the coupler heads over the buffer beam or cab steps etc don't fall off......

Les

with a Heljan 05 that has a semi-detached buffer beam, cab steps etc- they are fixed at the start of a running session but I find parts all over the layout at the end of an operating session.

• RMweb Gold

Well, because a bog standard fixed NEM pocket means you have to fit either bog standard hook-and-loop couplers or bog standard Kadee couplers which is a drag if your rolling stock is fitted with Roco couplers as standard in order to facilitate close coupling, that's why. If the pocket was at least pivoted, then Roco or Fleischmann couplers could be fitted, even if not close-coupling. The whole point of NEM pockets is to be able to fit the couplers of your choice, instead of having to settle for bog standard enormous-gap couplers.

If the pockets have the normal flexible type dovetail mount as fitted to other UK r-t-r stock, the amount of side-play should be sufficient to allow it to couple successfully with Roco heads in CCUs.

The P is so short that something that works OK on a wagon or tender shouldn't give rise to any problems. Before I got round to de-NEM-ing them all, I used Roco heads without CCUs in a rake of Bachmann Presflos with no issues. 

Incidentally, there isn't a "bog standard" NEM Kadee, but a choice of four different lengths. The shortest (#17) is very short indeed and I've only ever come across one application where it's too long; the bogie pocket on a Kernow O2.   

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The whole point of NEM pockets is to be able to fit the couplers of your choice, instead of having to settle for bog standard enormous-gap couplers.

Nope - I expect the couplers of my choice to arrive in a little plastic bag so they can be fitted to the buffer beam where they should be ! ( and I understand they'll be the correct SECR pattern ........ fantastic

• Like 1

If the pockets have the normal flexible type dovetail mount as fitted to other UK r-t-r stock, the amount of side-play should be sufficient to allow it to couple successfully with Roco heads in CCUs.

Quite so. This is what I meant by "pivoted in some manner", and would be acceptable. But are the pockets thus fitted on the P Class or are they fixed??

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

A quick update on the P's for you.

We have been informed by our freight forwarders that the container with our P class locos in is on the dockside at Felixstowe but has been detained by customs as it contains foodstuffs as a consolidated load.  The container is being held until Wednesday when it will be separated by customs and the container released. Due to this we now expect to start the despatch of the locomotives on Monday 26th March.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Hi All,

A quick update on the P's for you.

We have been informed by our freight forwarders that the container with our P class locos in is on the dockside at Felixstowe but has been detained by customs as it contains foodstuffs as a consolidated load.

...... so portsladepete was right about frozen peas ....... I thought he was joking !