SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

A truly delightful day in the country. England as it should look from a nostalgic point of view.

Fairly easy to see why I used to 'work' at Kingscote. That was before the extension was completed so there were run rounds and more people and staying (in summer) to enjoy the picnic field.

Although beautiful. I cannot match that whistle to the P I'm afraid.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At least one of the Bluebell locomotives that was acquired from an industrial owner had a non-standard whistle fitted before preservation and might carry it still. I can't remember which one.

I "think" that was number 27. I could be wrong though!!!

Gary

EDIT: I was wrong it's 178 as correct below!!

Edited by BlueLightning

• RMweb Premium

There's about 4 mins of a journey along the Churnet Valley last February from about 11mins10 in my little film:

I love the way you can hardly see the loco!

At a Bluebell Giants of Steam one time they double headed a 9F with the P.........that did look very odd indeed; a bit like a dead fly on the front of the 9F.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

At a Bluebell Giants of Steam one time they double headed a 9F with the P.........that did look very odd indeed; a bit like a dead fly on the front of the 9F.

'Dignity and Impudence' as Ivo Peters would undoubtedly have termed it (as indeed he did, when captioning a photo he took of a Beattie Well tank next to a 9F on shed somewhere).

• RMweb Gold

I love the way you can hardly see the loco!

Phil

OT a bit, but this was an odd one, Keighley, March 1986post-18087-0-13623200-1517227040.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Nice film; thanks for posting it. I dare say that Bluebell was lightly loaded but there was nothing wrong with its acceleration.

The film has done nothing to supress my desire for an S160!

Bluebell had 2 mk1s and a Polish TKh (not powering) behind it. 

The S160s  were rather impressive, there's a long clip of them double heading the last train of the day on Part 2 of my film.

Nice film; thanks for posting it. I dare say that Bluebell was lightly loaded but there was nothing wrong with its acceleration.

The film has done nothing to supress my desire for an S160!

Bluebell had 2 mk1s and a Polish TKh (not powering) behind it. 

The S160s  were rather impressive, there's a long clip of them double heading the last train of the day on Part 2 of my film.

Lovely.

What a gorgeous livery.

Is it really only appropriate for the preservation era?

It depends. If you can selectively remove the “Bluebell” parts and substitute something of your own, like an etched nameplate then you are good to go. That’s my plan for “Pioneer” anyway...

Cheers,

David

I "think" that was number 27. I could be wrong though!!!

Gary

178 came from Bowaters Paper Mill in 1969 IIRC, where it ran as 'Pioneer II' in a quasi SECR lined green livery (lighter green and not quite so complicated lining). It ran as 'Pioneer II' for a short while (albeit with the correct SECR green and lining) when it returned to steam in 2010, 27 and 323 I think came direct from B.R.

Lovely.

What a gorgeous livery.

I believe so. Just think though, if Sir Nigel had designed them they may have been turned out in garter blue originally!! I think this is the second version of the blue livery it's carried, the original was with SE&CR on the tanks and a brass nameplate.

• RMweb Premium

Lovely.

What a gorgeous livery.

It is gorgeous but I wish it still carried the brass name- and  numberplates rather than the painted ones.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/Bluebell_on_the_Bluebell_railway_%281%29.jpg

Edit: link added.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

I believe so. Just think though, if Sir Nigel had designed them they may have been turned out in garter blue originally!! I think this is the second version of the blue livery it's carried, the original was with SE&CR on the tanks and a brass nameplate.

I don't recall 323 ever carrying SE&CR branding when in Bluebell Blue.

I don't recall 323 ever carrying SE&CR branding when in Bluebell Blue.

323 ended its last ticket in the basic goods livery:

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/991c001m.html

27 and 323 did come direct from BR.

178 is the subject of:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/312298/Hattons_H4_P_009_SECR_P_Class_0_6_0T_Pioneer_II_in_Bowaters_Paper_Mill_green/StockDetail.aspx

Scroll down on this page and there are photos of 178 in this livery as it arrived on the Bluebell:

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/locos/178/178.html

178 came from Bowaters Paper Mill in 1969 IIRC, where it ran as 'Pioneer II' in a quasi SECR lined green livery (lighter green and not quite so complicated lining). It ran as 'Pioneer II' for a short while (albeit with the correct SECR green and lining) when it returned to steam in 2010, 27 and 323 I think came direct from B.R.

323 and 27 did come direct from BR and 753 and 178 both were sold by BR  to Mills (178 to Bowaters and 753 to Hudsons Mill Robertsbridge) before ending up at the Bluebell and KESR. I think 178 still has a hooter whistle (last time I saw it in steam it did) similar to that on Stanier locos but not sure if this an addition from its time at Bowaters or applied after the locos restoration.

I love 323 in its current livery and that was the P I decided to order from Hattons.

Edited by Dan Hill

Germane to this, what I can see in the photos on p23 of this thread is what appears to be a rigid side rod. That does require a little more lateral play on the crankpins than a two piece jointed rod. Perhaps a refinement for Dave to consider for the next six (or more) coupled design.

You are assuming, of course, that there's that much side play in the axles .............. though, to be honest with such a short wheelbase not a lot should be needed - even on the tightest of toy-train curves !

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Any updates for delivery of the P class?  (After the latest change for the Barclays)

Hi Hroth,

The P's dates aren't affected with the first batch arriving on the 9th March and the SECR green duo arriving in May. Once we have a confirmed date for the latter I'll post it here.

Cheers,

Dave

I thought I’d be clever (I’m not qualified for that) and order what I thought would be the most popular two, followed a month later by the other two I wanted. With the split delivery, I found myself likely to have to pay four delivery charges. So, in order to cut down to two deliveries, I phoned and ordered the other two. Eight quid is eight quid, after all. I dare say half the people ordering these things can’t quite afford all of them but an addiction is an addiction.