Engine Wood - now sold

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

One of my all time favourite layouts, CK. Truly captures the look and feel of the 'Northern' end of the dear old S&D. Inspirational.

Norman speaks very fondly of his visits there and still chuckles as he relates the story of his 'narrow squeak' with an adder on the embankment.....Didn't see it so absorbed was he in the approaching 7F

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What an outstanding layout! Yet another inspirational piece of work.

Thank you for sharing. I don't ghink we'd tire of photos of this; any chance of a video?

Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever taken any video of the layout, unless someone took some at a show sometime.

I will look up some more photos when I get a chance, though, if you like.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Found some of my pictures Captain.

A rare derailment!

attachicon.gifEngine Wood (2).JPG

Oh dear, that was unfortunate, especially with that loco. I can't remember that particular incident, but a derailment of that nature, with that particular loco, was actually pretty rare.

Clearly replacement buses would have had to have been laid on for the rest of that day, whilst the Bath Road breakdown vans attended the site (having to run to site via Mangotsfield, Bath Green Park (reverse), Midford, Radstock (to run round) and Midford South Jct, all due to not being able to access the site of the derailment via the direct route via Hallatrow and Camerton, due to the rest of 53804's train occupying the tunnel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Video?

A simple search of Youtube:

Thanks, I do recall that being posted there, but had forgotten about it.

I must point out that the sequence involving the very clean 08 represents 'the staff' being naughty whilst 'the management' was away on lunch.

Despite having been given extensive and detailed training in the use of proper (3 link) couplings, one or two of them actually smuggled their own stock (with tension lock couplings) into the show and whipped them out whilst I had popped off in search of a pasty.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The lack of backscene detracts - maybe a future improvement?

I quite agree, and a few years ago I did start the process of producing one, but the project stalled quite early on and other priorities took over. I did get as far as going to the area around Engine Wood to take some views of the Cam Valley, upon which to base the backscene.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

'Engine Wood' was also featured in BRM a few years ago, with some excellent photos taken by Andy York. My thanks to Andy for sending me a fresh set of the photos that he took, as I must have mislaid my original copies. Here are some of those images.

82044, the last BR Standard Class 3 tank, and then based at Bristol Barrow Road, peeps out from behind the yard offices, waiting for the 'Right Away' on a local stopper to Templecombe:

post-57-0-22303100-1507757417.jpg

It's Friday 4th March 1966 and 48706, one of the last remaining operational 8Fs at Bath Green Park shed, arrives at Engine Wood with it's brake van, ready to take one of the last trains of loaded coal wagons from the local colliery to Portishead Power station. The loco is a Comet kit, which consisted of the old Hornby body with Comet detailing etches, Comet chassis and tender:

post-57-0-41452600-1507757566.jpg

More photos in due course.

Edit - sorry for duplication - clumsy fingers I suspect!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

An 8F really does not offend at all........mmmmm...sure I can squeeze one in at Sheep Lane..

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

'Engine Wood' was also featured in BRM a few years ago, with some excellent photos taken by Andy York.

This edition of BRM led a to discussion in certain bookshop about a signal box built by a contractor from Bath whose name escapes me...

I can't remember if I made a purchase that day but I'm sure I may have received biscuits in any case.

Absolutely stunning pictures by Andy of a brilliant creation. Can't wait for the next installment.

Thank you for sharing Captain.

Beautiful photos of a beautiful layout - wish I'd got to see this one, other than in BRM - & on screen!

Wouldn't it be marvellous if we could get 4mm loco's to produce 'in scale' smoke like that - especially if it smelt right too...!!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

how about a Western and MGR hoppers as per Writhlington Colliery in 1973 ?!

Oh yes, I do remember Radstock during the period of the early 1970s. This was mainly going to the S&D Trust's open days there (or were they still the S&D Circle in those days?). There was usually an 08 diesel shunter in the loco shed, alongside 53808, which at the time seemed like an almost impossible restoration task to my uninitiated eyes, despite the seemingly prevailing optimism back then. I never saw any rakes of MGR wagons, though, although I've since seen published photos.

Together with local friends, who included Not Jeremy and Tim V of this forum, we explored what was left of the S&D during those years, right up until the line was lifted in 1976, together with what was left of the adjacent GWR station and goods yard.

I don't have any BR blue era stock in OO, nor do I have any MGR wagons, but a few years ago, John F (Re6/6) did come round with his green 'Western', plus a few other items, and we ran a few hydraulics:

post-57-0-01352600-1507800320_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-61337600-1507800340.jpg

post-57-0-83232800-1507800350.jpg

My Constructeon Class 14 poses next to a then-new Hattons/Heljan example:

post-57-0-62258800-1507800368.jpg

I had recently purchased this Silver Fox Class 22 from a chap at the Exeter show who was thinning out his collection:

post-57-0-97060700-1507800380.jpg

There was another occasion when John came round with some even more modern motive power, from the privatisation era, so I'll dig some of those photos out later.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Together with local friends, who included Not Jeremy and Tim V of this forum, we explored what was left of the S&D during those years, right up until the line was lifted in 1976, together with what was left of the adjacent GWR station and goods yard.

I do remember a Circle ;)  event over a weekend where a whole cow was spit roasted over a fire, viewing this from the rather delightful Exmouth Junction built concrete footbridge.

Seemed special to me at the time, not knowing that it was in fact just bog standard Radstock fast food.