Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

New RTR releases - is your purchase really necessary?

• RMweb Gold

In cycling terms, it is n+1.

n being how many bikes you have & n+1 the number of bikes you feel you need.

My wife talks in those terms. If she complains about my trains I could try pointing out that B=10T where B is a decent bike and T is a new loco. Probably just safer to buy them and say nothing though Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well !! Years ago ( about 20) I decided I was gonna be 'strict' with myself over purchases to prevent overspending (ha,ha). One area I knew well ( South Staffs), one era ( 1958 - 1960), and only buy locos/classes I actually saw as a young railway enthusiast ( ok 'train-spotter' ??) - but the figure now is in 3 numbers, with far too many multiples, ah well, the best of intentions.

Trouble is that many of us have been presented with the opportunity to buy loads of things that "fit in" even if we are fairly strict about location and period. 

In my case, that has meant far more than I ever thought possible (let alone affordable) in my youth. I can only rejoice in this, it would surely be wrong to tick a box in the wishlist poll then fail to stump up if the item does go into production. There's still plenty that has to be made for oneself, and there always will be.

In any event, I'd far rather have something available than not (after all, nobody is forcing me to buy it) and the announcement/introduction of a r-t-r model doesn't prohibit "real modellers" from producing their own, or me finishing one I might have started.......... 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well !! Years ago ( about 20) I decided I was gonna be 'strict' with myself over purchases to prevent overspending (ha,ha). One area I knew well ( South Staffs), one era ( 1958 - 1960), and only buy locos/classes I actually saw as a young railway enthusiast ( ok 'train-spotter' ??) - but the figure now is in 3 numbers, with far too many multiples, ah well, the best of intentions.

I have two streams to my collection based sometime after introduction of late crest but before SYP on diesels. The Devon and Cornwall Branches from childhood holidays is not too big (as yet) but like you my West Midlands steam in the same era seems to have run away with me a bit. Given that my line is on the route to Dudley Zoo, was used for running in turns from Stafford Road Works and saw a lot of Enthusiasts Specials in those days it gives me the opportunity to run many 'foreigners' I fancy as well. Now where can I get my hands on a 15xx pannier and a 97xx Condenser?

• Like 1

I agree with gordon s: this thread does sometimes feel as if it's turning in to an AA meeting...

I have a few too many rtr models than I strictly need, but all have a justifiable function or purpose on my layout.  Some were bought more for function, some more because I just like the prototype and the model.  One is a pure indulgence - but it's the right company and the right era, so all you need is a sufficient justification for it turning up in an unexpected location to allow rule one to apply within the bounds of reason.

I also have a few bad purchases made when I was getting back in to model railways, and before I realised how far modern rtr offerings had moved on since I had last had a layout in the 1970s.  I thought the new ones were just more expensive because they were new - then I actually got my hands on one and I understood why the price difference exists.  Sooner or later those will all end where they came from ie eBay!

It is case of brinkmanship will what you want be available in the future and at what price, I nearly bought some of the first release of Bachmann China Clay Polybulks but thought the price would come down!

It is a case of what you want, can a woman have too many shoes and then there are the accessories to match but after a while you realise it is a case of do you really want it and can you justify it?

Yes I really need some of the DJ Models HUO’s but how many?

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

Ha, ha, I can't criticise anyone. Just bought some Cambrian carriage etches cos they were both beautiful and cheap. So I now have to put together a Cambrian coach to run on a GC branch near Sheffield. About as likely as HST. And the bits needed to finish the coach will cost a darn sight more than the etches. But, stuff it! You're a long time dead.

The beauty of models is you can always sell them on. You may get less than you paid, but unless you've thrown them on the floor repeatedly and smashed them with a hammer, you always get something. Try getting something back on the money you spent on beer, or football tickets, or gigs, or whatever. 

• Like 5

I must admit I've started asking more searching questions about the locos and stock I buy, particularly locos.  I have an N gauge layout set geographically in South Warwickshore and Chronologically (mostly) in the 1960s.  There is plenty of stock that fits the region and time period but it also rules out certain items.  Plenty of new N gauge locos are almost gorgeous enough to buy purely because they look so nice; I even resisted the new Graham Farish pannier tank because that class never appeared in my area (as far as I can tell).

To try and counteract the desire to keep buying I've tried getting parts to detail and improve some older Graham Farish locos, they'll never be as good as the modern stuff but they have that personal touch.

I find it quite easy to keep focused as I can’t afford the appropriate stock, let alone the flights of fancy. Even so I do get the “thrill of purchase, stick it back in the box” feeling as I don’t have anywhere to run stuff. It sits there joining a lengthening queue awaiting detailing/modification/weathering.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting and complex with a lot of psychology involved. It can be an addiction and sometimes forums like this one add to Peer pressure, I really must get that one because they are all getting it in RMWeb and they might sell out soon. I often see people posting on here that seem to get every new release in all the different liveries and I wonder why. I also wonder if they are getting into debt to feed the addiction. Maybe there is a case for Model Railways Anonymous

I’m at saturation point, literally I’m running out of space. For the last three or four years I’ve restricted myself to 2 or 3 new models a year. I think they become all the more special for that as it tends to be things I really want. That said if there is an occasional bargain comes up then sometimes I find it difficult to resist.

I think my most special models are still those that my parents bought for me at Christmas. Really trains in my young day were only for Christmas, not even birthdays. So even though my Triang Hornby Princess from 1971 is totally eclipsed in detail from a Hornby one I bought 10 years ago , the 71 one is still the most cherished. I’m in a reasonably fortunate position that I really could buy any model I wanted. About 10 years ago I was buying a lot more models. Did I get more out of it.....no not really they just became “another model”.So I think restricting yourself actually does enhance enjoyment.

There was also the issue of value. I buy anything from pre grouping to privatisation, but I don’t run them all together , I run them in periods. The most common periods are BR transition and BR blue, as a result many models I’ve bought, like a Virgin Voyager or L&Y Tank , probably at the opposite extremes, seldom get run . So is it really worth forking out £100 + for something that seldom runs and sits in a box up the loft( which as I’ve said is full). It’s probably my upbringing and my accountant background that thinks there’s not much return on these investments, so why bother. I’m in a similar situation now with a class 87 struggling with myself. Should I buy a £140 new loco because it’s got the correct panto , even though I’ve got no OHLE and it will run once in a blue moon . But it is a loco I remember from my formative years when the Electric Scots were first introduced. Don’t know I may or I may not.

But I suppose after all this rambling it’s up to the individual. If you get pleasure from it , and have the resources,do it. Everyone’s different. I like to see them run , it’s not just owning them that does it for me, but that’s just me.And I suppose the direct answer is none of it is really necessary. It’s model trains

Edited by Legend
  • Like 4

Apart from my planned O gauge layout, where RTR stuff is far too expensive, and I have the only RTR locos that are suitable for the line already, I've created barriers to being able to plonk an RTR loco on the track and run it. Most of my modelling is/will be in EM, P4, P4 broad gauge or O-16.5 (and maybe 7mm scale metre gauge). So almost all RTR I buy needs to have the gauge converted, which doesn't even seem possible with some modern RTR locos. I have a OO layout, but I'll be using radio control on that, as well as on the 7mm layouts. Not only that, but it's a DIY RC system, that takes up more space than a commercial system like Deltang, so it will be harder to get into some locos. I've no interest in collecting stuff that will spend its life in boxes or on display, so even considering an RTR purchase involves finding out if it can be regauged without considerable extra expense, whether I can fit my RC system, and also if it can be backdated to the right period. The easy decision is almost always not to buy!

If you want to control your addiction, try putting obstacles in the way :).

• RMweb Gold

If you want to control your addiction, try putting obstacles in the way :).

I do 'get' that, John, and some of my 4mm RTR purchases are for my P4 layout, but the 'downside' (if that's the right expression) is that they often have to wait a long time in the queue to get converted and weathered!

Not having a 7mm layout at all (yet) hasn't stopped me acquiring 'one or two items' either!

A quick blast on the bike ( another toy!) to the South Devon Railway for a quick look around as its diesel gala weekend.

Saw the 33 go out, then needed an old mans wee so nipped into the loo......ahhhhh there's the shop........

Rode home with another Warwell (which I don't really need) but they weather so nice.y and will keep me occupied adding a load etc etc etc.

And it looks nice to!

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The real 'cure' came though when Martin Wynne convinced me to build my own pointwork and then I realised the 'high' of making something and seeing it work was infinitely more pleasurable than waiting for the postman and opening a box.  

I've got to agree with you there, Gordon. Making stuff, as opposed to buying it RTR, usually gives me a real 'high' as well, particularly as few of my kit built locos were completed without various quantities of blood, sweat, tears and bad language.

But when it comes good, that's a brilliant feeling. We all like our stuff to run well, and when I've completed a loco and I've somehow managed to get the running nice and smooth, I can sit for ages just watching it creep up and down my yard of test track. It's incredibly satisfying.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ha, ha, I can't criticise anyone. Just bought some Cambrian carriage etches cos they were both beautiful and cheap. So I now have to put together a Cambrian coach to run on a GC branch near Sheffield. About as likely as HST. And the bits needed to finish the coach will cost a darn sight more than the etches. But, stuff it! You're a long time dead.

Ah, best not get started on the purchase of kits that I don't really need and might never build!  :O  ;)

• Like 1

A quick blast on the bike ( another toy!) to the South Devon Railway for a quick look around as its diesel gala weekend.

Saw the 33 go out, then needed an old mans wee so nipped into the loo......ahhhhh there's the shop........

Rode home with another Warwell (which I don't really need) but they weather so nice.y and will keep me occupied adding a load etc etc etc.

And it looks nice to!

I don’t feel so guilty when I have purchased from a Preserved Railway’s shop as I feel I am aiding a good cause!

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Daren't do that, I might end up going home with a Dean Goods.

I very nearly did that at Taunton, but it got "outvoted" by the stunning Bachmann Birdcage set..........

A Dean would go rather nicely with my Dukedog though, as I don't have much suitable stock to run with either, 'tis a slippery slope. :nono:

John

I speak as someone who doesn't normally have a layout set up at home to play with operate (no suitable space).

You really need to move house, Tim.

Nice one here that would serve your purpose.  Not too far from where you are now & a nice investment opportunity for your pension lump sum.

Worth thinking about.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56576758.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hornby, Oxfor or the Gooch version?

Well, I did go down this afternoon and watched the Clayton arrive and depart (didn't realise it was there).

Just the presence of one droopy buffer on the display Oxford Dean Goods was sufficient to strengthen my resolve, and I remain Dean Goodsless, for now.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nobody needs a model train, they may want a model train but they don't need it. Need seems to have become synonymous with want but they are two completely different concepts.

That said there is nothing wrong with wanting something and nothing wrong with buying something you want if you can afford it. I see no reason to feel guilty about indulging our passion for something, at the same time I must admit I am a "less is more" person for some things. I don't buy that many models but I take a great deal of satisfaction from those I do buy.

I stopped impulse buys and am selective, I can't really be bothered with pre-ordering either or getting caught up in hype around some releases, but that's just me. Most of the models I buy now are s/h anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You really need to move house, Tim.

Nice one here that would serve your purpose.  Not too far from where you are now & a nice investment opportunity for your pension lump sum.

Worth thinking about.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56576758.html

10 acres! Now that could be quite some garden railway.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Reading this, I thank my lucky stars I model in 2mm finescale with fairly esoteric interests. This means far fewer temptations to buy RTR stuff (until Farish start doing J15's etc.).

What I do acquire are the beginnings of projects which might eventually end up as 2mm finescale runners.  I have decided not to get too hung up on keeping to a dead strict theme of 1950s BR GE but instead building a few projects that take my fancy. This is why I have an Aveling & Porter nearly ready for painting and a Del Prado PLM "Bourbonnaise" (beautiful little moulding) awaiting a chassis.

There are kits in my gloat boxes that have now technically been superseded by RTR models, such as the Farish 04. The intention is to build the kit and paint it myself, as then it will tone in with all my other kit & scratchbuilt stock.  A crisp sharp RTR livery would look out of place. It's really hard to match the quality of RTR paint these days, a point which is easily overlooked.

Where things have got a bit out of hand is in the 2mm/N narrow gauge where I have Irish, German, French and British models all running on 6.5mm gauge.

So what I'm doing is spending, well more accurately mortgaging, time rather than spending money.

This replaces the pleasure of ownership with the optimism of possible future models.  I can already see them in my minds eye...

Mark

• Like 4