Playing music at exhibitions - is it a good idea?

• RMweb Premium

I love my music, but certainly not at an exhibition. I have an unfortunate memory of a hotel reception type bell in a kiddie zone thing at a famous exhibition in north London a year or two back, kiddies queuing up to yammer the bally thing for all it was worth.

I couldn't wait to go home. Even the sound equipped locos grated, and I have some!

I find that some large exhibitions already have too much noise from DCC sound, crowds and just general background noise. I think the problem with music on a layout is that, if everyone had it, the sound from all the layouts would just mingle into an annoying racket. Also regarding the copyright issues, would the Musicians' Union also demand that music should be live? ;D And on my stone quarry layout would I have to play 'rock' music? :) I'll get my coat.

Oh lord....

Thematic music.   Someone will do a large WCML layout with postal specials to the inimitable rythms of WH Auden and Benjamin Britten.

Its bad enough with the chunnering of diesel MPDs and steam locos wheelslipping and whistling their way around layouts. Shunting planks with CORRECT whistle signals.  Or perhaps ambient background noise suited for an urban grot layout competing with bucolic BLTs.

And Hornby are going to release a mobile background TTS van.

Its not fair!

There used to be a very good US layout, set in a small nowheresville Midwest town in the 50s, which played contemporary ‘juke box’ music from a cafe/soda-joint. It was very effective as a scene-setter, and wasn’t intrusive, being audible only up to about six feet from the ‘venue’. I liked it. But, I can quite understand the worries being expressed.

That'd be one of Peter North's layouts from about 20 years ago. It specifically got me interested in US modelling, as I realized I could link my favourite music genre with a small layout. I've had a minor distraction since, but the rainy night-time Pacific Northwest 1990s layout is currently under construction and will feature a concert venue in an old theatre and party lights from an upstairs bar (I must also credit Prof Klyrzr's 3am too).

I have these cheap miniature juke boxes that currently play one tune very badly, but could be modified or used as a frontispiece for other buttons and switches to allow some public involvement. But I'd agree that the music has to be quiet or merely hinted at, instead of dominating the surroundings.

post-6819-0-61861500-1523910091_thumb.jpg

Edited by 298

This has come up before.  My suggestion that operations on Clutton should be accompanied by Adge Cutler and the Wurzels was not received as warmly [or, in that part of the world, Warmley] as I had hoped.

Chris

Wurzels would be good, for a GWR layout as long as it is played with the proper respect for the original artists, and of course the sound track from Brassed Off for anything in Yorkshire except NYMR which needs 1960s Pop, but the licensing issues are a pain. I chaired a District Council  Licensing Committee for 3 years and the law is far from straight forward.  As Music at an exhibition is incidental to the main purpose of the exhibition which is display of model railways  it is different to a concert performance but there is still the venue's license and even planning permission and the playing of amplified rather than live music, and "Similar to Music (I always described this as meaning Bag Pipes) then there is copyright.  about 75 years from the death of the composer now I believe.  

Any type of sound9even DCC sound) is going to annoy someone. I have had music at some exhibitions, drove someone crazy with rather dreadful French Christmas carols! Probably would not have music again, as it is more gear to set up. Also the whole idea of getting a license is serious. It used to be only one license, then the Performing Rights people split in two, and they don't co-operate, so you need two licenses.That way both the performers and the writers get their fee. It was originally set up to help performers and writers, but suspect these days it is more to make money for big corporations.

Brillint idea. I believe there isa record of a piece called 45, which is a recording of a pinist sitting at a piano for 45 minutes without playing a note, and then closing the piano lid and walking off stage. Would that be what you were thinking of?

Edited by dolydd
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I rather like the idea of layouts having their own soundtrack. I remember seeing Shirley Rowe's Catalunya at York many years ago and being entranced by it's light and sound effects. However it was displayed inside its tent which both gave a controlled dark space for the lighting sequance but also muffled the sounds from outside and kept the layout sounds within. Even without the enclosure I can't see that music should be any worse than dcc sound, in fact there's an argument that it should be better as there is space for better speakers.

• RMweb Premium

Brillint idea. I believe there isa record of a piece called 45, which is a recording of a pinist sitting at a piano for 45 minutes without playing a note, and then closing the piano lid and walking off stage. Would that be what you were thinking of?

John Cage's 4:33 is just that for 4 minutes 33 seconds, however it is "scored" for any number of musicians not to play for that length of time.

There have been several "recordings" of it! :scratchhead:

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I guess it depends on the setting of the layout. As one of my clubs layouts is set on a busy main line in South London then 'Up the Junction' might be appropriate, even if a decade or two out. Or maybe 'Ticket to Ride'.

Perhaps 'Yes sir, I can Boogie' can be tinkling away on the nearest speaker to the Bachmann sales stand at Warley.....

I doubt if many exhibition venues would have a suitable licence...

Technically, I suppose the pre-recorded audio within DCC sound chips are copyrighted by someone. Does that mean you'd need a PRS licence before switching on DCC sound at exhibitions?  :jester:

(tongue in cheek) 

I have to disagree with most on here. I think muzak will be fine - how will your layout fit into the lift exactly?

Brilliant idea! At 44” by 27” my smallest layout would fit in a lift. I could go up and down with it all day long and no licence issues. Just have to persuade the lift operator to play the right music for the layout.

Just imagine walking into a lift and finding this...

post-12189-0-44054300-1523959073_thumb.jpeg

That’s such a great idea, if the music can’t come to the layout then the layout must go to the music. :)

• Like 4

On a previous putative layout based on the northern approach to Birmingham Snow Hill, modelled as if it survived with Class 52s through the long hot summer of '76, I used to envisage punk bands playing live at the White Horse Cellars pub, on the corner of Northwood Street to really nail the period. 

My future layout (in planning, pending other house extension work) will definitely be soundtracked by the Northern Soul, rock and psychedelia of '67 - '68. Possibly even powered by my juke box!!!

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 3

Technically, I suppose the pre-recorded audio within DCC sound chips are copyrighted by someone. Does that mean you'd need a PRS licence before switching on DCC sound at exhibitions?  :jester:

(tongue in cheek) 

As you are playing sampled sound you probably need a licence for a live performance.

• RMweb Premium

(tongue in cheek) 

I would have thought the owners would have waved the right to collect royalties.

Keith

Generally I would say no to music. However I have heard it used to good effect once or twice, at low volume,

where it appeared to be playing in a bar or hotel (I think it might have been a US themed layout).

edit - I have just read the comments by Nearholmer and 298 about a layout in the 1990s, it sounds a similar set-up but more recently,

A soundtrack (playing quietly) of seabirds also worked well on a Scottish harbour layout..

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

• RMweb Gold

No!  Why is it that wherever one goes, one has to put up with music?  Its not usually soft, pleasant background music but loud modern music at a very high decibel!

I quite agree and a trip to McDonalds with my daughters, aged 5 and 7, is living hell for me. The "music" they play is absolute sh*te (and the food is nothing to write home about either), but because they dole out crappy toys and balloons, it's where children want to go - I'd rather go to Burger King personally. I once walked out of McDonalds as the music was making me so angry, but the heated argument with my wife 15 minutes later when my family caught up with me was the lesser of the two evils. So, as far as music at model railway exhibitions goes, I'm firmly against it thank you!

Regards

Dan

After being at two exhibitions when somebody ran a pair of 20s at full chat on a DEPOT layout every five minutes for two days the thought of music every five minutes for two days  would make me stay away

My personal view is that I have only ever heard music used on US-themed layouts and always at a volume where it is just audible as coming from the building from which it is supposed to be emanating. Those layout owners have got it just right, perhaps others need to follow their example?

Regarding sound fitted locomotives, the sound of a Deltic or an EE Type 4 or Type 1 “whistling” through a layout transports me back to my childhood, bliss! However locomotives idling away in fiddle yards, or on an MPD, unless the volume is suitably low, really gets my goat.

Tim T

Music at exhibitions? In the early 80's when York was still in the City centre, my layout was in the other place - Not the Assembly Rooms - I had some light classical music, slow/medium tempo playing on the Sunday opening time hour, it was for want of a better phrase, 'White Sound', took the edge off the quite.   I don't recall anybody objecting.
In a B&B I stayed in on a regular basis, they had soft Billie Holiday music playing, again as a 'White Sound', cover the kitchen noises.  I was surprised to realise just about all the tracks were of a similar gentle pace, they didn't become 'excited', breakfast rolled along gently.
Thus I think there is a place for 'decent' background music, aka 'White Sound', but in the right circumstances.  NOT Musak, or Christmassy things etc.,
I'm now losing my hearing, I don't hear much at all, certainly not sheep baa'ing, or birds twittering on layouts - or noisy gears on loco's, point motors working ......

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 3