Peterborough North

great northern

Tony,

I don't believe it's been on here before (apologies if it has) - could we see your jig for turnunder forming?

Jonathan,

I'll post a picture tomorrow.

And one for Gilbert - delightful weathering on the fish vans and general vans but, sorry to be pedantic - 61828 with LH drive and a post-1300 series cab? 

• RMweb Premium

Smashing (sorry) job G and T. Coach is correct and this step is worthy of much praise. I know G that you have been waiting to get your teeth into Gresleys for a long time. It looks very good and I do so want to do the same myself, although I will only need a few for my Cleethorpes/Exmouth.

As for the weathering on the fish vans - brilliant. I am also a fan of the new view pics; can't explain why!

I have no qualification to suggest anything about coach weathering but I do remember reading somewhere about using a little sponge make-up thingy (on a lollipot style stick?) for doing the finishing 'cleaning' on a 'dirty' coach. That apparently creates the dirt in the corner/along the edges effect but I've never tried it.....! 

P

• RMweb Premium

Smashing (sorry) job G and T. Coach is correct and this step is worthy of much praise. I know G that you have been waiting to get your teeth into Gresleys for a long time. It looks very good and I do so want to do the same myself, although I will only need a few for my Cleethorpes/Exmouth.

As for the weathering on the fish vans - brilliant. I am also a fan of the new view pics; can't explain why!

I have no qualification to suggest anything about coach weathering but I do remember reading somewhere about using a little sponge make-up thingy (on a lollipot style stick?) for doing the finishing 'cleaning' on a 'dirty' coach. That apparently creates the dirt in the corner/along the edges effect but I've never tried it.....! 

P

Thanks Phil. TW and I have had a chat on the phone this morning, and by sheer chance defined our respective roles in the building process. He will do the jobs that only allow one attempt, and where failure will be irredeemable, and I shall do those where if the result is not quite right it will be possible to remedy my mistakes. I'm really delighted and comfortable with that. We shall do a few more conversions, but full kit builds are on the agenda too, so expect a PM shortly!

Thanks for the tip on weathering. It seems that I must buy some makeup, or at least the means to apply it.

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the work I'm doing with TW to augment the coach fleet, I've also commissioned Ian Willets to do a couple more essential items which i feel will remain well outside the limits of my ability. They arrived on Friday, and as I have to photgraph them for insurance purposes, I thought I would share them with you.

post-98-0-99526700-1401622665_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-02174100-1401622692_thumb.jpg

This is a RS/SO twin which ran in the West Riding streamliner pre war. Some of the vehicles were used in the post war West Riding express, though by my period only this one was left. Beautifully built by Ian Willets using D&S etches for the sides, and painted by Dave Studley. These came with "West Riding Limited" etched into the sides, which Ian had to conceal somehow. It is a tribute to his work that, even with the usual harsh light on them, it is very difficult to see what he has done. An extra door was added to these coaches following a tragic accident where a fire caused deaths, and Ian has added those too. The only thing missing is the Restaurant Car branding, which will be remedied when TW and I get together. Murphy's law has struck again though, as the correct place in the rake had to be next to a Replica MK1 FO :angry: , which is rather shown up in comparison.

Actually, there are two of these, as another is to go in the 1100 KX - Glasgow, That one had the second upgraded to a first, but is otherwise identical.

• Like 16

I don't have 61645(yet)

You should have said, Gilbert - I do.

61645.jpg

The tender top is where all the variety is. Was this a subclass, or just three or four which were different to the others?

What is the last coach in your original photograph - the profile is quite different to the others.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 5

Just a couple of things.........

The last coach in the prototype picture is a Thompson standard FK (judging by the ventilators serving six compartments, though it could be a CK). Note the bulbous roof and exceptionally deep solebars.

post-18225-0-49104900-1401643978_thumb.jpg 

Here's the gadget I use for forming tumblehomes (tumbleholmes?). I suppose it's a kind of jig, and consists of a brass bar on top of which is a brass rod. Relative dimensions can be gleaned from my hands. The rod is fixed to the bar by a nut and bolt at each end. One merely unscrews the nuts a little, inserts the lower coach side (here I've put in a roof, but the priniciple's the same) and re-tightens the nuts. Then, employing a steel rule and exerting finger pressure in the direction of the red arrow, one introduces the desired curvature. You can't do it in one hit - just subsequently move the component further through in a series of small steps, constantly checking as one goes. Practise makes perfect.....

I obtained this gadget from Modellers' Mecca many, many years ago. A tool-maker used to supply them, along with other magic gadgets, though they've long since ceased to be available, though you could enquire. 

post-18225-0-55854600-1401643931_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-65909300-1401643951_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-60372000-1401643994_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Gilbert - that shot is amazing, but it does show how we need to be more careful about lamps.

should the plural of Tumblehome, be 'Tumbles home'

Or is that what happens after too many decent beers wile watching the trains go round?

• RMweb Premium

You should have said, Gilbert - I do.

61645.jpg

The tender top is where all the variety is. Was this a subclass, or just three or four which were different to the others?

What is the last coach in your original photograph - the profile is quite different to the others.

Wasn't she busy on Thurston Jonathan? I knew I'd seen her somewhere before. 1645 was originally Class B17/3, which consisted of only five engines - 1643-7. The green book says that the major differences in sub classes 1-3 were just in the springing arrangements, but there were as you say variations in the tender tops too, for which at present I can find no explanation. I seem to recall that 1646 had similar tender details to 1645, but I can't find the photo at the moment.

We could have arranged a photographic charter.  It's getting on for 10 years since I built her and the details are hazy... I think it's a vacuum tank high on the tender back (I know it came off a Bachmann J39) but I can't recall why it's up there.  Somewhere there's a decent photo of the tender arrangement as I remember using it when I built it.  It's a Dave Alexander tender body but all the top had to be scratchbuilt, it's nothing like standard.

I note 61645 has lost the regimental crests in your photo.  I never found out when they were removed, so I left them off.  I still have them if anyone knows whether they might have been carried in the earlier 1950s?

Wasn't she busy on Thurston Jonathan? I knew I'd seen her somewhere before. 1645 was originally Class B17/3, which consisted of only five engines - 1643-7. The green book says that the major differences in sub classes 1-3 were just in the springing arrangements, but there were as you say variations in the tender tops too, for which at present I can find no explanation. I seem to recall that 1646 had similar tender details to 1645, but I can't find the photo at the momenClass B2  61644 “Earlham Hall”  Modified  C7 Tender, BR Green.  Late Crest.      Pump.  

Gilbert,

Class B2  61644 “Earlham Hall”  Modified  C7 Tender,BR Green.  Late Crest.      Pump.

Withdrawn   25/11/1959.

Class B17/6  61647  “Helmingham Hall”  LNER Group Standard 4200 gallon Tender.   BR Green.  Late Crest.    

Withdrawn   18/11/1959.

There is more detail in the photograph section of Yeadon's.

Regards, Derek.

That coach side tumblehome former looks okay. Derek Lawrence welded up a couple and showed me what materials I needed to purloin to make one. At the time I wasn't building coaches, just painting 'em, but when Derek passed away I think they went to his regular builder, Ian W.

Coaches are so much fun and it puzzles me why more modellers do not go into this branch of the hobby. Waiting for the RTR loco you have always needed is one thing............. Waiting for the various coaches you need to represent certain real trains is a no-hope'r. They are not all an easy prospect, but when one considers I started with LNWR open saloon push pull coaches with recessed doors as my first entry into brass coach construction, I think many more people could do it if they tried. Even painting isn't the problem it once was if car aerosols are used and one wants a train of unlined non-corridor coaches. But to make things easy at the glazing stage, pester manufacturers to etch in the droplights!   :biggrin_mini2:

That shot of the excursion is so good, it had me doing things like counting how many peaked roofs before the engine front, etc.

A bit like those old "spot the difference" cartoons we used to love.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

post-898-0-86553200-1401730407.jpg

Gilbert, I hope you don't mind but I had a go at adding a few things to your black and white photo such as the material texture and playing with the shadows a bit. I hope you like it.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifpeterborough north.jpg

Gilbert, I hope you don't mind but I had a go at adding a few things to your black and white photo such as the material texture and playing with the shadows a bit. I hope you like it.

I certainly do like it, thank you. it is exactly what I would have wished to do, but didn't know how.

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful pictures, really showing the layout to its best advantage IMO - inspiring indeed...

Concerning dusty coach roofs; would it not be simple enough to construct an overbridge at the exit to the fiddle yards with a duster lightly brushing the dust off as they pass?  Would have to be similar to a feather duster rather than a cloth in case it caught something, but it might work...

Just a thought!

David

Just though I'd try this, and it worked better than expected. I was itching to photoshop it, but it would take some time, and I'm supposed to be doing other things. One to challenge Andy Y in the future I think.

That's it then.I hope the wider views will be of interest. Might be a while before I can afford to hire that helicopter again though.

Cheaper if you sit on the top deck of that (wrong) bus though :jester:

sorry....Stewart