Peterborough North

great northern

Peter that works very well - the contrast between the sunny outside and the stygian gloom of the station is very realistic - a lot of folk forget that whatever aperture you use some parts of a pic will be over exposed and some underexposed, so this works very well.

Apart from the lack of smoke ( different subject) you'd have to look several times to not think it's real.

It shows what a great layout Gilbert has produced to showcase these excellent models.

Peter

Gilbert, if you fancy a little project, Gary at 247 does the fire iron rack for the Austerity tender. It breaks up the 'slab sided' plain look of the thing and gives you the opportunity to vary the weathering a little.

wd4_zpseb467cde.jpg

I think it was Larry who put me on to it when he fitted one to one of his.

Thumbs up for some freight action as well.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The problem here is that your lens has been set with an aperture that allows too much depth-of-field, hence the rest of the train, which is quite some distance behind the loco, appears in focus and thus looks "wrong". By contrast, the foreground being blurred and out of focus looks realistic. Isolating a subject is a powerful tool, but needs work in such confined circs. Try it again with a larger aperture?

Thanks Ian, that got me thinking, so off I went this morning to see what could be done. It had belatedly occurred to me that there were ways of masking the very unprototypical appearance of more of the train where it should not be seen, so eventually the penny dropped, and as Stewart has suggested I tried to put a train in the way.

post-98-0-75286700-1398268623_thumb.jpg

And I nearly succeeded. I did this shot with the same exposure as the one I took yesterday, so that when I came to adjust the aperture as suggested we would have two comparative shots close together. As you can see though, there was very bright sunlight this morning, so even with blinds closed it got through, and meant we can't quite compare like with like.

post-98-0-74703900-1398268846_thumb.jpg

Here is the result. I discovered that with zoom employed the camera would not allow me to stop down below F4.5, so that was all I could do. There doesn't seem to be much difference?

post-98-0-00321200-1398269035_thumb.jpg

Even more belatedly, I realised that if I moved that van up a bit, the original problem was solved. Of course I could have achieved this just by moving the train on the Up line back a bit, but things like that never seem to occur to me till too late these days. I have another query about which i would value enlightenment, but I'll put it on a new post as this one is getting rather long.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

OK, next point. Firstly, please do keep posting your alterations to my efforts - I still have a lot to learn. I have a problem though with taking things out which should be there. For me at least, there is a big difference between masking out book cases and doing the same with part of a train. If you came and looked along as the camera did, that is what you would see, so I feel that removing it is wrong. It's up to me to find a way round it, either by judicious placement of other stock, or by filling the gap. Crescent Bridge is the next project for Peter Leyland, so I'll discuss with him what we might be able to do.

Now the silly query for the camera experts. I used the zoom function for the shots above, but when i checked the properties of the shots it said that digital zoom was off. So, two types of zoom? If so, how do I access digital zoom, and would it make any difference? I have read the manual by the way, but I'm no wiser as a result.

• RMweb Premium

For those who are not so fascinated by the dark art of photgraphy, and because shots of stock seem to be welcomed, here are a few of the best rake I have, nearly all built by Ian Willets and painted by Dave Studley. Ian uses Comet or MJT sides, but all the rest he does using the parts he has in hand. You can see why I want to have improvements done to Hornby's rather poor version.

post-98-0-57778000-1398270183_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-76138400-1398270207_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-97269600-1398270230_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-76627900-1398270647_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert, digital zoom is effectively the camera taking the whole image and then cropping the centre of it, as you would in Paint .NET - the amount of digital zoom just being a different sized section of the whole image on the camera sensor.

Optical zoom is the same as on a film camera, by use of lenses you change the size of the image falling on the camera sensor.

Gilbert, back in the days when I was a magazine editor my picture editor did amazing work with some really poor originals, and that was in the pre-digital days, which is why I'm such a fan of cropping. 

It's not in any way altering the image, but it helps you make the difference between the kind of happy snap that I might get on a platform end with an iPhone, and the beautifully balanced shot you might get with a decent DSLR properly set up. 

Effectively it makes it look as though you have a 10x zoom rather than a 5x.

90% of the success of a photo lies in it's composition, and sometimes it's what you leave out that brings it to life.

Here's an example based on your latest shot...

post-10395-0-58678500-1398270631_thumb.png

So as you can see, by cutting out the background detail of the bridge, the platforms and so on, your eye is drawn to the front of the loco and the Parcels van sitting just outside, The Van train is nicely out of focus, and makes a good weight to the centre, but manages to let the eye be drawn to the two core elements. 

It's a great picture, and if I had photoshop I'd really be tempted to add a few wisps of steam!

It's only as I look at it now I realise, you've also substituted a Gresley rake for the Mk 1s

ATB

Peter

• Like 8

Gilbert, digital zoom is effectively the camera taking the whole image and then cropping the centre of it, as you would in Paint .NET - the amount of digital zoom just being a different sized section of the whole image on the camera sensor.

Optical zoom is the same as on a film camera, by use of lenses you change the size of the image falling on the camera sensor.

Which, to take this further, means that with digital zoom, your shot will be MORE pixellated, with standard zoom, not so.

With any zoom other things come into play....you only have to look at telephoto shots which make coaches look too short, or wide shots that introduce a horizontal curve to straight subjects, to see what.

I do have some photos of Pacifics at Colwick Roy, always captioned as being there for repairs, and I believe they had to travel there and back light engine. I can't post any I'm afraid- copyright issues.

Yes Gilbert , I have seen photos of an A4 at Colwick , and there were more no doubt , but did they get there via the Grantham to Notts. route ? Or there may have been special dispensations made . I don't know . Indeed when Alan Pegler owned '103 , or 4472 if you prefer , I remember it going over that very route . But I'm sure they were'nt allowed as a general rule . Another bridge RA9 engines were't allowed over was the sluice bridge at Boston ; again , I would stand corrected , but that's what I've always thought .

Roy .

• RMweb Premium

Which, to take this further, means that with digital zoom, your shot will be MORE pixellated, with standard zoom, not so.

With any zoom other things come into play....you only have to look at telephoto shots which make coaches look too short, or wide shots that introduce a horizontal curve to straight subjects, to see what.

Or even "melted" coaches Jeff. Remember those? 

I think the etched fire iron holders for WD tenders is long overdue, my trio of WD's have these necessary adornments added, I believe  Western Region locos had fire iron tunnels in front of the cabs but I've never seen any other W.D. that didn't have the after build additions on the right hand side tender tops and the lovely streaks of rust from the brackets, I did see clean, recently out shopped War Dogs but to model one in pristine condition would be another example of the prototype appearing unrealistic.

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gilbert - love it!

Using the closeups really brings it to life the depth of field is really working in your favour there, especially on the A3. Also very nice to see some different locations.

Great work!

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Bank Holiday, and I've spent more than enough sitting in traffic jams in the past, so it is another quiet day at home. Many thanks for the positive comments, particularly about the new views, which I wasn't at all sure about. This of course soon got me thinking whether I could find any more, so out came the camera again. Even stronger and more constant sunshine than yesterday, so it proved to be a real challenge, and I'll be interested to hear your views.

post-98-0-97387300-1399295045_thumb.jpg

The 9.42 Norwich is now under way, and will shortly fork right at the junction which takes it down to East station and beyond. I'm not sure my photographic permit really allows me to stand where I did to take this. The sun loves to eat carriage roof ventilators and signal posts. :ireful:

post-98-0-39391300-1399295285_thumb.jpg

Loco close up, with zoom doing its worst as usual. I can assure you that cabside 6 is actually perfectly aligned, and the nameplate is sharp on the original image too.

post-98-0-14018800-1399295433_thumb.jpg

and the other side of a very handsome engine.

post-98-0-36739000-1399295514_thumb.jpg

This is as near as I can get to a view from the steps of Crescent Junction box. Just to show what difficulties the ***** bookcases can still cause, here is the unedited shot.

post-98-0-45887700-1399295736_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the top bit of the bookcase, which is too high to be able to cover it, just fits nicely into the framework of the bridge. It is an absolute pig to take out, as you will see if you blow the photo up. Please do tell me how much, if at all, you feel this spoils the effect for you.

Anyway, the B17 having cleared the junction, everything begins to vibrate, and a dull roar fills the air. Is it a localised earthquake? No, Just Deltic on its usual duty.

post-98-0-61914300-1399295976_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-86058300-1399296156_thumb.jpg

Another anorexic signal......

post-98-0-68760600-1399296231_thumb.jpg

And I still haven't got round to detailing the front end, adding discs, or removing the coupling box.

post-98-0-98608200-1399296323_thumb.jpg

And so of course I take a close up to emphasise the deficiencies. See the missing bit  on the right hand side of the bonnet? Well, when I did I cursed, thinking that it had gone missing during shopping. So, I went back to find out where it had happened - at least 50 edits - only to find that the sun was responsible when i got back to the original image. :banghead:

Next though, a real bit of excitement, a scene never seen before on PN.

post-98-0-06355800-1399296480_thumb.jpg

Clarence Yard - Hull fish empties, behind a B1 in the usual immaculate condition in which Top Shed turned them out for this duty. It wasn't just the Pacifics that were well cared for. This is the first fish train to run in revenue earning service on PN, and the loco, as those of you who have been keeping your Ian Allans up to date will know, is a cop. Actually, Tim delivered it months ago, but I've been saving it until I could run it on the fish. The train alas is wrong, as blue spot vans were limited to the Aberdeen service. Until Bachmann's LNER vans arrive though, they will have to do.

post-98-0-65955100-1399296796_thumb.jpg

The higher position of the front numberplate really changes the "face" of a B1, so we looked for an appropriate loco. Fortunately, we found a photo which we could be sure was accurately captioned and dated. Good job, as 1200 only had this type of door for one spell of a couple of years.

post-98-0-48445100-1399297061_thumb.jpg

A familiar view to finish with, and probably the last for a while, as the joys of prolonged photoshopping do tend to pall after a while..Oh, and lots of golf coming up as well, including a round at Peterborough Milton on Wednesday.

• Like 18

Anyway, the B17 having cleared the junction, everything begins to vibrate, and a dull roar fills the air. Is it a localised earthquake? No, Just Deltic on its usual duty.

attachicon.gifdeltic 1.jpg

More likely the noise from that Leyland engine in the bus, we locals were more used to the gentle purr from a Gardner!

Stewart (with apologies for dragging it up again... :jester: )

Once again a lovely set of views, so atmospheric, from a past time that I would love to re-visit. Maybe your railway room is actually a Tardis?

• Like 1