Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

There have been a lot of first class photos recently, that were not available before as you now have new vantage points for the camera.

Looking at the one for the West Riding could I just ask how you fix the destination boards to your coaches, are they permanent or removable as I know you re-use some of the coaching stock in different formations.

They are all self adhesive, either from Modelmaster or Precision, and I only put them on the dedicated rakes that are used in fixed formations. I can get them off without leaving a mark if I need to though.

• RMweb Premium

I'm with the man from Sydney, the first shot is epic!!

I love the March local as well.Small 0-6-0 goods engine on local trains being a 'Thing' of mine.

The J15 has to have something appropriate to do, and it was getting bored with just shuttling up and down to East all the time, so this seemed an opportunity to give it something different to haul. It may even have happened in real life occasionally.

• Like 5

The J15 has to have something appropriate to do, and it was getting bored with just shuttling up and down to East all the time, so this seemed an opportunity to give it something different to haul. It may even have happened in real life occasionally.

Damn Straight!!

• RMweb Premium

What i wonder, was the most common type of locomotive to be seen at PN sixty years ago? Well, I reckon it would be one of these.

post-98-0-02797300-1524472332_thumb.jpg

Coal empties again, this time collected together and despatched from New Southgate, and followed on their way of course by our man hovering in his newly discovered position.

post-98-0-77028600-1524472468_thumb.jpg

Now I must prepare for the arrival of a new fridge/freezer. Such excitement!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Yes they do.I just wish that Hornby hadn't announced them so soon after I had commissioned Ian Willets to build them for me.

But you have the satisfaction of owning virtually unique vehicles, whereas anyone with a credit card can buy the Hornby products. 

Having "nice things" is its own reward. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been looking at the new track, and trying to decide how to fix it. I've never tried double sided tape before, and this Peco bullhead does look rather delicate, so I'm a bit concerned that I may only get one go at putting it on correctly. In what order should the tape be applied? To board or track first?  Any tips or things to avoid would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been looking at the new track, and trying to decide how to fix it. I've never tried double sided tape before, and this Peco bullhead does look rather delicate, so I'm a bit concerned that I may only get one go at putting it on correctly. In what order should the tape be applied? To board or track first?  Any tips or things to avoid would be greatly appreciated.

I'd go for good, thick PVA glue on the board in a 'band' not as wide as the track and and maybe temporary drawing pins just tacked over sleepers every so often, just to hold your track in place once you have it adjusted as required (straight presumably?). If the pins wont drive into the board then just use cheap decorating masking tape down the sides of the track. Use some good flat wood/board on the top of the track, using weight such as surplus magazines   :scratchhead:, taking care not to joggle the track. OK so it takes a lot more time to set (probably give it 12 hour)s, but it will pay you as the tape will grip the track far too tightly. How do I know this?

Worth experimenting with a single piece first just to get the hang of how you can shift it about. Also best to not do it all at once in case you don't like the result.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Have you considered Timebond? It will allow you to adjust the alignment of the track but can then be firmed down and will set so much faster than PVA.

If I was going to use it I would do three or four sleepers with a "dry" batch before the next. Glueing every sleeper might be rather too expensive (and too smelly!).

• RMweb Gold

A thought has just occurred to me. I wonder when and how you are going to weather the new tracks? I think it may be easier if you put 'rust' on the rails before you glue it in place. With my layout, I glued the track down first, and ended up with great backache on painting the sides of the rails in a rust finish afterwards. Of course, if you are just going to use a spray, then it will be much easier for the weathering - I used a brush - I'm not too good at using spray paints. And on my layout, I used the old fashioned PVA and water mixture, with a small dot of washing up liquid, which, of course, has set the tracks and ballast solid. They have survived for at good forty years!

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

We continue to follow the WD, as it creeps towards signals at the end of the Down slow.

attachicon.gifWD 4.JPG

Those signals will remain at danger though, as the time has come for the A5 to set off on its way towards Grimsby.

attachicon.gifA5 1.JPG

You just keep on going don't you?

The WD through the bridge, Epic!!!

Then that shot of the J15 plus local as well as two more of my favourites, the A5 and WD?

Magic!!

Chris.

Has the World Sped record holder's driver not committed a SPAD in the above Photo ? 

SPAD  ie. Signal Passed @ Danger 

G'Day Folks

Naw, bobby's a bit quick to put the board back.

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Has the World Sped record holder's driver not committed a SPAD in the above Photo ? 

SPAD  ie. Signal Passed @ Danger 

G'Day Folks

Naw, bobby's a bit quick to put the board back.

manna

The S and T boys need to get their act together, and ensure that the boards are coming on and off properly. The Down starter was off, but had not raised fully. Meanwhile the Up home had not returned properly to danger.  Once again though, the camera overemphasised the problems. These signals do need sorting out, but I must wait patiently until replacements arrive.