Peterborough North

great northern

Okay smart Alec, so you're better than us at this game now! :beee:

Joking aside though, the sky is still too dark for the picture. The coach, loco and track are somewhat over-exposed, which is normal, and so the sky needs to be likewise. I would say the end result should be a pale blue sky.

Lasoo : Sky area

Hue/Saturation : Slightly reduced saturation and lightened sky.

Brightness/Contreast : Brightened sky.

History Brush : Return model shot to 'as before' (top of bridge & water cranes, then reduce History Brush to 40% and brush in signals).....

post-6680-0-56301100-1350489236.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert

A great shot of the A3 wrapped up in sky. I can see you joining the Cloud Appreciation Society who have a wonderful website.

You have plenty more photos on the site to which I am sure you would like to add the sky although hopefully you will still have sufficent time left for all that stuff on the ground!

Eric

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Modelling has been suspended, as I have run into a problem concerning levels, which needs some thought. So.......I ran another train instead, and decided to get the camera out, again. Here then is a Down afternoon KX-Newcastle running through behind Happy Knight. Now, some of you may think "That was a New England engine, why is it so clean?" Well, for a short while in the summer of '58 it was transferred to Top Shed, and we all know the first thing that would have been done when it got there. Actually there is another reason for the shiny state - Tim hasn't been at it with his airbrush yet.

The sky still isn't right, though I have attempted to brighten it on the original. My abilities are still "light years" behind the likes of Andy Y Coachmann and TW of course. Did you get that by the way? "Light years" and we are talking about lighting... oh, please yourselves as Frankie Howard would have said. Anyway, I shall proceed in small steps I think, as I really haven't mastered even the basics at present. One question for the experts though. Does the whole thing have to be lightened, or can I just work on the sky before adding it as a layer? Oh yes, the photo- nearly forgot.

post-98-0-13440300-1350490779_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

That's pretty much spot on for composition and cloud layers. I think what Larry has said about lightening the cloud layer applies particularly here - you can lighten that layer certainly to match your photograph.

Question for the photographers whilst its in mind - would using a green screen (or blue if your engines are predominantly green) for chroma keying work better than photoshopping out the background?

• Like 1

So.......I ran another train instead, and decided to get the camera out, again. Here then is a Down afternoon KX-Newcastle running through behind Happy Knight. Now, some of you may think "That was a New England engine, why is it so clean?" Well, for a short while in the summer of '58 it was transferred to Top Shed, and we all know the first thing that would have been done when it got there. Actually there is another reason for the shiny state - Tim hasn't been at it with his airbrush yet.

That'll be two A2s to bring on Saturday then :rolleyes: .......

I definitely feel that one is the better image of the two in terms of the clouds, but I'm not entirely convinced the light angle on them matches that of the main scene.

Edited by Tim
  • Like 3

Good work Gilbert.

Your sky seems to have acquired a greenish tint whereas the platform surface is quite a blue/grey. I've lightened the sky even more and shifted its colours a little to aim for something a little more subtle.

GB_PN.jpg

The halo effect around the buildings is far less noticeable on that last shot too; good work, keep it up.

• Like 13

Gilbert, you had done the donkey work before I lightened the sky, so perhaps it might be an idea to drop the sky on then adjust it afterwarsds to suit the model photo. On the otherhand, if you brighten/lighten/reduce contrast etc in the beginning, you might not have as much work to do wrapping it around awkward objects and those lattice signals. The way you taken this model photography and image manipulation so quickly is quite amazing. I use rather an old fashioned program, which curiously did not catch on maybe becasue it can be 'lossy' and memory consuming, and so in one area you are streets ahead of me.

The lightening by Andy on that last shot has made the picture look amazingly real, which of course just shows how damn good your layout is.

Tim has a point about the lighting. The A3 picture is somewhat backlit and so you need to choose a sky that you have shot into the sun.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Question for the photographers whilst its in mind - would using a green screen (or blue if your engines are predominantly green) for chroma keying work better than photoshopping out the background?

Not necessarily; any plain and neutral background is going to be the best starting point. There's a danger that a strong background colour could have detrimental effects with regard to chromatic aberration as discussed before and even lending its hue to reflected light.

• Like 1

Tim has a point about the lighting. The A3 picture is somewhat backlit and so you need to choose a sky that you have shot into the sun.

Absolutely correct Larry, the model is slightly backlit with the light coming from the right which would equate to about 2.00 to 3.00pm at Peterborough Station ;).

Dropping a sky that matches those sort of conditions gives this:

GB_PN2.jpg

So now not only do you have to get the right loco and the right stock on a working Gilbert you now have to spin round on your rooftop capturing various lighting conditions to match each of your carefully timetabled workings.

It all started with those bookcases. :P

• Like 13

Oh stuff it; you've got me at it now.

GB_PN3.jpg

You'll be getting a laundry bill from the neighbours next week by the looks of it.

I knew this would be a lovely angle once you'd got the station roof on; the whole railway is coming together superbly well.

• Like 18

Gilbert,

That photograph, above, is lovely. Suddenly, we are all back; there on a summer's day in 1958, when the railway was a wondrous place and steam still reigned supreme.

Just keep posting em, Gilbert.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely correct Larry, the model is slightly backlit with the light coming from the right which would equate to about 2.00 to 3.00pm at Peterbourh Station ;).

Dropping a sky that matches those sort of conditions gives this:

post-1-0-15993000-1350494773_thumb.jpg

So now not only do you have to get the right loco and the right stock on a working Gilbert you now have to spin round on your rooftop capturing various lighting conditions to match each of your carefully timetabled workings.

It all started with those bookcases. :P

Hmmmm...... this is all getting a bit out of hand. I had no idea it was this complicated, but even I can see how much better it looks with the light coming from the correct direction. It's hard work though, no sooner have I got used to having a magic wand than I'm invited to learn how to lassoo the sky, and a new type of history! :jester: Actually, I did try to change the photo of Happy Knight on Paint.Net but all it did was to give that peculiar colour cast, and I then could not find a way to undo it. I'm not going back to the bookcases though, but it will all stay rather basic until I gain more confidence to click on icons that might do very strange things, particularly when I've just spent ages on lots of lattice post signals.

Trouble is, how often do we see a cloudless sky?

Very rarely, and never went you want one from a photography perspective. Never mind, clouds are more interesting. Michael's post isn't cloudless; in fact it's very cloudy but I like that too.

• Like 1

dont start me posting pictures of cloudless skys :)

I dont think its rare, I like the sort of cold winter skys with just a hint of blue, not the darker blue of the Sahara desert

I think it will be easier when I paint some backscenes for layouts, I think if you leave the cloud off you wont notice it but you will notice one that looks wrong

like cloudless skies like this...

Cloudless skies might be rare in reality but they are common enough on photos when photographers have exposed for the train and, as a by-product, have over-exposed the sky to the point of bleach out. Common enough on non-sunny days and in drizzle. Aye up, it's spittin'

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4