Hornby class 08

Piemanlarger

• RMweb Gold

internaly it looks to be the same as the non sound one (heres my hard wired lok-sound micro fitted one) as you can see my speaker faces the opposite way to the sound one, i may well make a proper enclosure for it if i get a chance

i recon turning the speaker round on the Hornby release may make a difference as the outer moulded radiator grille is vented to allow the sound to escape

The grille may be vented but the body underneath isn't! I took the grille off and cut the body section out and replaced the grille, that really does let the sound out, however...

unfortunately if you turn the supplied speaker round then the end of the motor spindle presses on the back of the speaker's magnet, causing a truely appalling noise! May be a better idea to replace the speaker with the round one as used in the Howes version.

hello lads, i did have howes sounds on my 08, it didn't sound right so i got a Swd 08 and that bril! got to remember lad that there are 3 different types of geny on the shunter 2 of them are blet driven and the other one is a genator! also others are wiring diffenetly, like you put it in nouch 1 the TM blower starts and the sound is very different! these are on REAL locos!

thanks

Rory

• RMweb Gold

heres my howes sound 08, slightly revised with a few more sounds and functions than my mk1 version had

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4rmF5VopKU

if you send your Hornby 08 to howes for a reblow this is what you will get

some functions are as follows, (i will add the others i cant remember when i put the loco back on the track tomorrow sometime!!)

F1: sound on/off

F2: long whistle (looped to sound for as long as you hold the button down)

F3: short whistle

F4: buffer clash

F5: couple up with air release and "right o"

F6: flange squeal

F7: loose coupled wagons

F8: sleeper grind

F9: "hinksey" 08 shunter hooter (an alternative to the whistle)

the loco in the video is my resprayed drs livery loco fitted with a lok-sound micro (as seen on page 1 of this thread), bryan has however removed the micro speaker and fitted a round one facing forwards behind the grille which is a bit louder than it was with the micro speaker

• 2 weeks later...

Decided enough was enough despite running in the 08 still kept stalling and cutting out even on plain track. Decided to get my retailer to replace it which he gladly did and surprise surprise the replacement was exactly the same.

Took it back and got a full refund no quibble.

E

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I know i am a few months out on this thread but hergoes!

I bought the green Hornby 08 and swapped bodies with one I have had for a while. The sound fitted body now has a screw fixing point under the hood whereas the older one doesn't. However the speaker housing sits lomost perfectly inside the older body and with the help of some aircraft canopy glue, I just stuck the speaker in place then sealed around the speaker housing and body with more canopy glue to form a sealed baffle box be teen the speaker and the radiator. The sound is now a bit louder once the old body was fitted onto the newer chassis. Not had any problems with pick ups on my 08.

• 4 months later...

Hi 3 years ago I had an SWD sound chip in my Hornby EWS 08 I fitted the speaker in the cab and put in a Driver and a shunter hanging out of the other door, that was good and loud and the horn/ whistle TOOT TOOT sounded just as I remember from watching them at Eastleigh yard. I went and sold all my sound locos and I have just ordered 08844 Chris Wren for my new layout so I hope its as good as SWD or it will be a re blow. Andy.

I have one of the original ones, and have been impressed with it, until I purchased the second, which has a Loksound V4 chip in it, which is superb.

Actually its quite good because they sound "the same, but different!"

The V4 08, can you list the F functions

I presume notch up and down is gone?

On the Howes reblow is there a way of stopping it go through the full start-up sequence if it does stall somewhere?

TIA,

Tref

Afternoon

Yes, if it's a V3.5 then set CV 124 to a value of 6. This will store current speed and function state and bypass the start-up sequence.Don't know whether it's the same on a Lok4 havn't used one yet.HTH

Steve

• 1 month later...

Just came across this post as i've recently acquired a Hornby 08 with sound. Had the same problem with stalling as others here. However changing cv124 to 6 as mentioned above has cured the problem.

The default setting would stop the motor and make the sound chip go through it's start-up sounds if there was a momentory break in contact with the track power. Hence the stall. Dissabling this, the flywheel has enough momentum to keep the loco moving until power is restored and the loco continues with no hesitation except for a hardly dectectable glitch in the sound. It now glides very slowly through all my peco insulated frog point without hesitation at speed step 2 (of 28).

Ray.

Like tender, I have also just come across this thread, and it did my heart good to hear of all the problems I had with my Hornby 08 everyone else had the same. I made some adjustments to the pickup which were set too light, that cured the restarts, and I'll certainly make that change to CV 124, thanks for that.

BigJim's video clip sounded more like the 08's I remember so perhaps a trip to Howes is due.

Incidently I paid £132 for the EWS 08 at Hereford Models, brought it online on a Thursday afternoon and it was delivered next morning, no connection with them other than a very satisfied customer

Pete.

yup you are bang on but this flippin thing is stopping on straight track that has been baby wiped, track rubbered, isopropyl'd and bit of hardboarded - It was code 100 but its been rubbed down to code 75 !!!

Did you check the wipers? It might benefit from tweaking the wipers so that they make positive contact with the wheel backs (you will need to remove the wheel keeper). Clean the wheel backs while you're at it. Mine runs well but it will hesitate when going over some points (suspect they are not dead flat).

John

On the subject of Class 08s, I recently got mine back from Howes after having a sound decoder and speaker fitted, I noticed that on some Class 08 videos their sounds are a fair bit louder than mine.

My speaker is behind the slotted front grille, if I put the speaker in the cab will that make the sound seem louder?

I changed CV 63 to the loudest setting but the sounds are still drowned out by my Class 37s which have a CV 63 value of 50.

Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Michael

Yes Michael, place the 23mm in the cab - massive difference.

Yes as I said in my bit a while ago, I put my SWD speaker in the cab with the doors open and a driver and shunter hanging out to hide the speaker and had to reduce the volume to about 50 or so. Andy

• RMweb Gold
On the subject of Class 08s, I recently got mine back from Howes after having a sound decoder and speaker fitted, I noticed that on some Class 08 videos their sounds are a fair bit louder than mine.

My speaker is behind the slotted front grille, if I put the speaker in the cab will that make the sound seem louder?

I changed CV 63 to the loudest setting but the sounds are still drowned out by my Class 37s which have a CV 63 value of 50.

Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Michael

just a thought, how recent did you send it away, it may have a V4 chip in it in which case i dont think volume 64 is the maximum volume

i'll have a word with bryan for you to

• RMweb Gold

i've already pm'd michael a reply but this may be of use to others, here is a a reply from bryan...

if the chip is a lok V4 CV63 is max 192 which is 150%, i use 128 which is 100%, if raised it can cause distortion and errartic running

hope that helps

i've already pm'd michael a reply but this may be of use to others, here is a a reply from bryan...

if the chip is a lok V4 CV63 is max 192 which is 150%, i use 128 which is 100%, if raised it can cause distortion and errartic running

hope that helps

Jim,

Isn't this thread based on the Hornby DS 08 - V3.5 chip.

You may start to confuse people regarding V4 being in the Hornby model.

Archived