Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Can't find the "Sarcasm" button!

Fantastic pictures. Please keep them coming.

Mike, from Carlisle.

I don't know what you mean, Mike.  :lol:

Here's one of 47459 that slipped through the net earlier...

post-7247-0-42190100-1500324223_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Dave

• Like 17

Hi folks,

Here as promised are a few pics of the latest addition to the WW fleet - humdrum Large Logo 47459. As most of my Large Logo fleet consists of Scottish-based named examples, I thought it was about time I did an anonymous non-Scottish 47. As I've seen some footage of Bescot-based 47459 working on Fife services, this seemed a good loco to choose.

Here she is passing Haymarket MPD on her way to Waverley from Dundee with a rake of six ScotRail Mk 1s. That looks like an inspection saloon waiting at the signals on the far left.

47459 7.jpg

She later worked back to Dundee on the return working...

47459 1.jpg

47459 2.jpg

47459 3.jpg

47459 4g.jpg

47459 6a.jpg

47459 9.jpg

Work has now started on a Dapol Class 122. So far the unit has been test-run and the roof ribs have been removed. Masking and respraying of the roof and painting of the floor to hide the elevated base to the interior are next on the list.

Cheers for now,

Dave

I'm really struggling to tell whether these are pictures of the model or of the real thing. The only thing suggesting it is a model is the driver hasn't moved....

If it is the model it is absolutely life like!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

good to see you back, dave.

great pics as usual, that first one is so good - only the distance between the buffers gives it away.

I take it that's an RMB next to 563 - about the last 'proper' buffet car to grace  ScR trains, soon gave way to the trolley-equipped mk1 & 2s (HSTs excepted - though even with those, the buffet either opened (southbound) or closed (northbound) at Edinburgh!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Been missing updates, fantastic pictures again Dave.

Is it natural lighting? You seem to get more than average sunshine for Cumbria, I had a room at moor row for a year in 97/98 and it seemed to rain every day

• Like 1

This is what it was like 5 1/2 years ago when we first arrived here, with the layout still to have its protective cages removed. Since then it's been insulated, plastered, centrally heated, had new windows and a new door fitted and a new carpet (which I'm doing a pretty good job of ruining with solder, glue, etc. etc.) to make a pretty decent railway room. It was crazily expensive to heat using electric heaters and often either too cold or too hot in the early days, but now it's comfortable just about year-round, including all through the winter thanks to the central heating. Oh what a difference that made. It even copes pretty well with the relentless heat of a Cumbrian summer too.  :jester:

As the room measures 6 x 5m, I'd probably have made WW a bit larger had I started the layout in this room, but at least I have some good-sized fiddle yards instead. The only downside to the room is that I have to go outside to get to it, which in the middle of winter when it's pouring down is a bit of a pain, especially if I'm carrying locos or rolling stock, but I really should not complain I know!

attachicon.gifRailway room 0.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Well there's always room for an extension !!

• Like 2

Hi Dave you were lucky to catch the sunlight at Waverley. When I drove home from work over the top I was on the edge of a black cloud and you could see the rain covering Edinburgh.

That 122 under frame is incredible that close up shot looks real.

Always enjoy seeing Waverley.

All the best

Mark

• Like 1

As always love your modelling and photos. One small thing and I definitely could be wrong but I always thought Andrew Carnegie was one of IS 47s with a blue roof, together with 550. Apologies if I'm mistaken...

M

As always love your modelling and photos. One small thing and I definitely could be wrong but I always thought Andrew Carnegie was one of IS 47s with a blue roof, together with 550. Apologies if I'm mistaken...

M

Cheers Matt,

You're spot on about Andrew Carnegie, IS-based with a blue roof and that's how I've modelled it, but with the roof weathered to a grubby dark grey...

post-7247-0-37079900-1505340713_thumb.jpg

Dave

• Like 16

Been missing updates, fantastic pictures again Dave.

Is it natural lighting? You seem to get more than average sunshine for Cumbria, I had a room at moor row for a year in 97/98 and it seemed to rain every day

The sun always shines on the righteous, russ. Or, more likely, is it the devil looks after his own? 

A year in Moor Row would be enough for anyone I should think, no matter what the weather! 

• Like 3