Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Excellent photos again. Quick question, what years were 60009 named Osprey rather than Union of South Africa? I kinda like the name Osprey better, so I'd like to see if I can get away with it time-scale wise

• RMweb Gold

Excellent photos again. Quick question, what years were 60009 named Osprey rather than Union of South Africa? I kinda like the name Osprey better, so I'd like to see if I can get away with it time-scale wise

Hi Marcyg,

60009 was never named Osprey. LNER no. 4494 was named Osprey from new in 1937 and following a couple of renumberings it was renamed Andrew K McCosh in 1942.

4488 was named Union of South Africa from new (1937) and was never renamed, it became 590 in 1946, 9 in 1947 and 60009 when BR renumbered in 1948.

Regards,

Tom

Hi Marcyg,

60009 was never named Osprey. LNER no. 4494 was named Osprey from new in 1937 and following a couple of renumberings it was renamed Andrew K McCosh in 1942.

4488 was named Union of South Africa from new (1937) and was never renamed, it became 590 in 1946, 9 in 1947 and 60009 when BR renumbered in 1948.

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom

60009 was renamed Osprey in the mid to late 80's as protection against the loco being damaged by any anti apartheid demonstrations, she had reverted to the UoSA name sometime in 1991/92

Ian

Hi Tom

60009 was renamed Osprey in the mid to late 80's as protection against the loco being damaged by any anti apartheid demonstrations, she had reverted to the UoSA name sometime in 1991/92

Ian

I only remember 60009 carrying the Osprey name in the 1990-1991 period, which was ironic seeing as apartheid was on it's way out by then.

Thanks for the info chaps. I knew she had been renamed due to political reasons, just wasn't sure when. If 1990 is the date, I can justify it as my layout is based around 1990. Thanks again :sungum:

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, guys. My understanding was that John Cameron renamed the loco purely to protect it from damage due to any possible link with South Africa, rather than as a political statement of any kind, which seems to be Ian's understanding too.

• Like 1

Hi folks, 

A few photos from this afternoon's operating session, which saw newly released Petroleum 47190 on the oil train. Modelling time has been at a premium recently, so not much progress has been made, but at least 47190 has been completed and put into service.

attachicon.gif47190 1b.jpg

attachicon.gif47190 1.jpg

attachicon.gif47190 at speed 1a.jpg

attachicon.gif47190 at speed 1c.jpg

47555 arriving on a service from Inverness...

attachicon.gif47555 4.jpg

attachicon.gif47555 1.jpg

Meanwhile, 60009 was waiting to leave on another railtour...

attachicon.gif60009 1.jpg

attachicon.gif60009 1b.jpg

Some other miscellaneous shots....

attachicon.gifMk 2 1a.jpg

attachicon.gifMk 2 1.jpg

attachicon.gifMk 2 2.jpg

A TEA from the oil train rake...

attachicon.gifTEA 1.jpg

Finally, a shot from around 1990 of a rake of TEA tankers behind 47190 passing Haymarket...

attachicon.gif47190 2 BW.jpg

attachicon.gif47190 1b BW.jpg

I have still to decide on my next project. A Large Logo 47, 47563 Women's Guild in its late 1980s Inverness guise, is the most likely. Watch this space.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Some amazing modelling/photography. I particularly like the top two/bottom two shots. On first seeing the top two I had to do a double take when I realised the rest of the photos were of your models!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks, 

A few photos from this afternoon's operating session, which saw newly released Petroleum 47190 on the oil train. Modelling time has been at a premium recently, so not much progress has been made, but at least 47190 has been completed and put into service.

attachicon.gif47190 1b.jpg

attachicon.gif47190 1.jpg

attachicon.gif47190 at speed 1a.jpg

attachicon.gif47190 at speed 1c.jpg

47555 arriving on a service from Inverness...

attachicon.gif47555 4.jpg

attachicon.gif47555 1.jpg

Meanwhile, 60009 was waiting to leave on another railtour...

attachicon.gif60009 1.jpg

attachicon.gif60009 1b.jpg

Some other miscellaneous shots....

attachicon.gifMk 2 1a.jpg

attachicon.gifMk 2 1.jpg

attachicon.gifMk 2 2.jpg

A TEA from the oil train rake...

attachicon.gifTEA 1.jpg

Finally, a shot from around 1990 of a rake of TEA tankers behind 47190 passing Haymarket...

attachicon.gif47190 2 BW.jpg

attachicon.gif47190 1b BW.jpg

I have still to decide on my next project. A Large Logo 47, 47563 Women's Guild in its late 1980s Inverness guise, is the most likely. Watch this space.

Cheers for now,

Dave

The paper route labels are excellent.

Hi Dave,

Nice to see more excellent shots. I really like the weathering achieved on the tanks they look superb especially one of the last black and white shots looking down the train. The realism you have captured is superb.

All the best

Mark

Your modelling is superb and this is complemented by the first class photography, so much so that like many others I frequently do a double take to check that it is actually a model railway.

Whilst you undoubtedly are a very good photographer I just wondered what model of camera you used to achieve this, the depth of field in some of those shots is tremendous.

• Like 1

Your modelling is superb and this is complemented by the first class photography, so much so that like many others I frequently do a double take to check that it is actually a model railway.

Whilst you undoubtedly are a very good photographer I just wondered what model of camera you used to achieve this, the depth of field in some of those shots is tremendous.

Thanks Richard. I use a Canon EOS 500D set to maximum depth of field for most of my shots, as you've obviously noticed.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Superb pics as usual. The taps a nice touch all you need now is some hose wrapped round it.

My mate had trouble with his VDAs and OBAs I fixed it by gluing one end and stopping the other end moving as much with platicard. I have done some of mine I will take a pic for you.

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Just catching up - love your close-up photos of the passengers on the platform and in the carriages! Superb!

Where did you get the water taps from by the way?

Cheers, Chris

Cheers Chris. The water taps are from Gem Models:

http://lytchettmanor.co.uk.websitebuilder.prositehosting.co.uk/lytchett-manor/oo-gauge-accessories

Hope that helps!

the last pictures are so realistic ! 

the layout is great, the work fantastic. 

merci beaucoup monsieur!